Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

30 Pages «<282930
Stevie's Vic Build Options
stevie_o
#581 Posted : 08 June 2015 13:05:27

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Garth
#582 Posted : 09 June 2015 07:12:09

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Steve,
Congratulations on a superb build. I've thoroughly enjoyed following (and borrowing from...) your buildThumpUp
Kind regards,
Garth
"Measure twice, cut once!!!"
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Current build: Black Pearl.
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Wish list: USS Constitution.
DSoldano
#583 Posted : 10 June 2015 00:10:57

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Steve,

Excellent trick with the flags. I'll have to remember that for when I get to that point.

Dominick

On the Bench: DeAgostini HMS Victory, Moebius Creature From The Black Lagoon
Up Next: We'll See
lohwk
#584 Posted : 26 June 2016 18:36:02

delboy271155 wrote:
Hi Steve,BigGrin

That tool magic stuff looks brill.

Could ask your better half Flapper where she got it from please.

I`ve found it on ebay but only american sellers.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Look for "plasti dip paint"
Gibbo
#585 Posted : 26 June 2016 20:51:50

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Wow, stunning build Steve.
Regards
Paul
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
ian smith
#586 Posted : 27 June 2016 13:07:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Steve,
stunning build, really love the way you done the flags.
Ian
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
leedsfromsouth
#587 Posted : 02 July 2016 15:29:48

Great job Steve
Hans
#588 Posted : 04 July 2016 20:25:08

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Stunning build there Steve, well done, you have earned the right to brag and be proud.
Rgds, Hans
"It's okay to make mistakes. mistakes are our teachers - they help us to to learn, even if it is painfully"
Current Build:
Endeavour Cross section,D51
Completed: HMS Victory
Under the bench: Endeavour x 2,Sovereign of the Seas, Akagi and The Black Pearl!HMS Victory Cross Section
Spal
#589 Posted : 04 July 2016 22:21:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Fantastic work Steve,a credit too you.

Al
davidtmartin
#590 Posted : 26 October 2016 16:16:59

Stunning build, I hope mine looks as good when it's finished.
captain parrow
#591 Posted : 09 December 2016 16:25:08

Love
well that is some tidy work young shipper got pull me socks up
stevie_o
#592 Posted : 09 December 2016 17:24:56

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

darkwoodster
#593 Posted : 08 April 2017 21:17:27

Hi Steve,

I've been observing your progress of your victory build and I must say it's the best I have seen. I really admire your work and it's inspiring me to use some of the tips and techniques you have used.

I'm interested in your weathering techniques for the wood. I wonder if you could tell me what products you have used to weather your decks. What oils, vanishes you have used. Also how did you create the rust effect on your copper tiling?

I have been going through your posts but I cannot find the info I need.

Any help you can provide would help me greatly.

I'm just on with planking the lower hull now. I'm looking forward to using the copper tape like you have and creating the same effects.

I looking forward to speaking with you.

Kind regards,

Neil Woods
NikonD60
#594 Posted : 09 April 2017 02:12:11

Fantastic build Steve, a stunning job.

Been reading parts of your diary as I am progressing and picking up some useful tips.

Alan.
Today is the tomorrow you wished for yesterday!
stevie_o
#595 Posted : 09 April 2017 08:17:49

Thanks for looking inBigGrin

The deck weathering is mentioned in post #9 of this build diary, there are pics to show the deck firstly with just a 50/50 mix of "Weather it" and water, the next pic shows with a single coat of Danish oil on top. Since then I have made my own weathering solution using wire wool (finest grade) soaked in white vinegar for a few days, then just bottle the brown/gray liquid and it ages wood perfectlyBigGrin

The copper tape and patina is explained here - http://forum.model-space...aspx?g=posts&t=7800

Cheers
Steve
birdaj2
#596 Posted : 09 April 2017 09:46:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Steve

What a stunning model, so expertly put together.

Really enjoyed your build diary with so manybgreat hints being given.

Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
darkwoodster
#597 Posted : 09 April 2017 10:50:35

stevie_o wrote:
Thanks for looking inBigGrin

The deck weathering is mentioned in post #9 of this build diary, there are pics to show the deck firstly with just a 50/50 mix of "Weather it" and water, the next pic shows with a single coat of Danish oil on top. Since then I have made my own weathering solution using wire wool (finest grade) soaked in white vinegar for a few days, then just bottle the brown/gray liquid and it ages wood perfectlyBigGrin

The copper tape and patina is explained here - http://forum.model-space...aspx?g=posts&t=7800

Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve,

Thank you for that! I have been looking for the "weather it" product on the internet but cannot find it anywhere.
Are you able to provide a link of where is purchase it?

I appreciate your help ;-)

Thanks,

Neil
stevie_o
#598 Posted : 09 April 2017 18:22:41

Thanks for looking TonyBigGrin

@Neil, the Weather-it is made by a US company called A-West. I bought a pack of 3, weather-it, Patina-it and Blacken-it from the US ebay.
Its very hard to find these days and those who used to sell it seem to have no stock, like here - http://www.modeltrainstu...ng-Solution-p/awt-1.htm

I honestly have the same results by using the homemade stuff from this guide - http://keepingitcozy.blo...steel-wool-vinegar.html

Dont forget to paint on the tea first BigGrin

Danish Oil was Wilkos own brand, no particular shade - they only had one type but it really brings out a nice matt finish.

Steve
darkwoodster
#599 Posted : 11 April 2017 10:15:17

stevie_o wrote:
Thanks for looking TonyBigGrin

@Neil, the Weather-it is made by a US company called A-West. I bought a pack of 3, weather-it, Patina-it and Blacken-it from the US ebay.
Its very hard to find these days and those who used to sell it seem to have no stock, like here - http://www.modeltrainstu...ng-Solution-p/awt-1.htm

I honestly have the same results by using the homemade stuff from this guide - http://keepingitcozy.blo...steel-wool-vinegar.html

Dont forget to paint on the tea first BigGrin

Danish Oil was Wilkos own brand, no particular shade - they only had one type but it really brings out a nice matt finish.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thank you for this. I have gathered all the components you have recommended and I look forward to cracking on with it.

I will get round to posting my own build diary at some point.

Thanks again,

Neil
birdaj2
#600 Posted : 11 April 2017 12:02:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Steve

That was a really interesting link you posted on the wood aging and i have printed it for future reference.

I had tried something like this a while back and got zero results but your link explains about tanin being part of the process and this is not in some wood so to paint on cold tea.

That explains why it never worked for me so i have learnt something really useful from your post so many thanks for that.

Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach