Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Deck Planking Options
delboy271155
#1 Posted : 21 February 2013 16:22:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi all, BigGrin
Firstly I have no intention of saying this all my own work, all I have done is look at people`s ideas added a few of mine and put together a system that works for me. So if you see something that you have already posted please don`t be offended take it as a complimentCool .

So here we go:
A list of required items, most of which you will already have for your modelling or round abouts.

Deck Planking
Black art paper (A4 size adequate-90gsm thickness from stationers)
Dark oak stain (tree nailing)
Natural oak stain (deck colour)
Miniature drill (0.4mm)
Craft knife
Steel ruler
PVA glue (slightly watered down)
Fine art brush (I used size 00)
Old polystyrene packing
Masking tape

Method:
Firstly you need to determine the size of planks required, this will vary from model to model, but for the SOTS I highly recommend a look at Gandales excellent build diary from page 16 (WTG Gandale)Cool .
Having cut some planks to the correct size drill two holes in each end of them. I done this with a 0.4mm drill bit whilst holding the plank on to some polystyrene, it stopped planks splitting or breaking. I also passed the drill through from both sides so as to aid the flow of dye for the tree nailing.Pic 1

With a selection of planks cut and drilled I used the dark oak stain to produce the tree nailing, I used the fine brush with the bristles across the plank and rolled the brush just over the holes. I found the stain penetration into the holes worked much better this way rather than the usual brushing method.( Use a piece of tissue to soak up excess dye to prevent leaching).
Next you need to cut some very thin strips of the black paper.(new blade time).Pic 2

Now sticking thin paper to thin wood is Cursing work. So I used the following method with masking tape.
Stick one end to the board, flatten and stretch the strip out carefully and stick down other end.Pic 3

I then very slightly watered down some PVA to assist adhesion between wood and paper. This was then brushed along the appropriate edge of the plank which was then placed on the paper strip. (Make sure the side of the plank to be the top is as close to the edge of the paper strip as possible).Pic 4

You can now cut one end of the paper flush to the end of the plank and cut the other end leaving enough paper strip to cover the end.( Which way round you cut the strip depends on which way the plank will be laid). Now brush PVA on the plank end and stick the paper to it.Trim when dry.

When you have marked up the deck to be planked you can stick down the planking. the deck is stained natural oak.Here is a test plate I have produced, please note: as this is for demonstration purposes only it has not been sanded or varnished, you will notice some high spots of paper above the deck planks.Pic 5

Well that`s all folks, feel free to comment my shoulders are broad LOL LOL LOL

Regards
Delboy271155
(Derek)
delboy271155 attached the following image(s):
IMG_0189_zpscb687f65.jpg
IMG_0185_zps1342e88d.jpg
IMG_0186_zpsbb3946e1.jpg
IMG_0190_zps18fb2e50.jpg
IMG_0191_zps9d10614d.jpg
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Plymouth57
#2 Posted : 21 February 2013 21:41:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi Delboy.

That's certainly a very effective method and you're right about Gandale's decking, it looks the business too!Cool
Must admit I've never actually put in the caulking on any of my three ships. On the Grimsby the decking was made of very thin veneer stuck onto the plywood decks, there's no way I could have cut paper strips that thin, (even if I'd thought about it!)Blushing, the DelPrado Bounty is being built for my brother so I was just following the basic kit instructions with little enhancement and as for the DelPrado Victory - in 1/100 scale anything between her deck planks would probably look like the Portsmouth City Council tarmac crew had been hard at work!!LOL (No disrespect to PCC!BigGrin )
I have to admit though that your and Gandale's efforts on the decks look really great, keep up the good work!

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
Gandale
#3 Posted : 21 February 2013 22:52:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Derek, very impressive tutorial there and love the little modifications you have made to the way I do my planking, especially the treenailing.... I didn't find it to much of a problem gluing the black strips in place when the planks were in situ but think I will try your method of using masking tape... Think it's always a good thing to learn new methods anyway... Haven't stained my deck yet, that is still to come but will give some thought to staining the planks before fitting to the deck.... Again well done m8, look forward to seeing a your completed deck, think it will look the biz....BigGrin BigGrin

Regards

Alan
delboy271155
#4 Posted : 21 February 2013 23:28:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Robin and Alan,
Thanks for your comments, they are most appreciated.

"From little acorns mighty oaks do grow"

Oh goody more decking supplies LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Regards
Delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Gandale
#5 Posted : 01 March 2013 22:56:40

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

delboy271155 wrote:
Robin and Alan,
Thanks for your comments, they are most appreciated.

"From little acorns mighty oaks do grow"

Oh goody more decking supplies LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Regards
Delboy271155
(Derek)

Very true Derek, we just have to watch the mighty oaks don't topple over...LOL LOL

Regards

Alan