Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

33 Pages «<2728293031>»
willz buildz Options
magpie1832
#561 Posted : 23 April 2016 23:11:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Superb work Willz. Absolutely stunning. Drool
Chris BigGrin
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Gandale
#562 Posted : 23 April 2016 23:39:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Fabulous piece of work, those ribs look ever so delicate... Credit to your patience Willz, Drool Drool .. Look forward to your next update....

Regards

Alan
tf64
#563 Posted : 24 April 2016 07:55:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hello Willz,

Again we see a craftsman showing us his skills in carving wood and building small boats well finished Willz.

Regards
Trev
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

willz
#564 Posted : 07 May 2016 15:27:26

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

cheers lads, all comments appreciated, small update on the bounty launch, managed to make and fit the top capping and at the mo I`m trying to make some space to continue with the Victory, finding the amount of room needed for 1/72 HMS Victory a little challenging.
Again lads thank you all for your comments
William
willz attached the following image(s):
capping.jpg
Gandale
#565 Posted : 07 May 2016 18:41:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Beautiful, a class piece of work Willz....

Regards

Alan
Gibbo
#566 Posted : 18 May 2016 00:44:14

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

willz wrote:
I wasn't happy with the plank bender so I drilled a hole in the handle so I could screw in a drywall screw through it, I filed the point off the screw so as to use as a depth stop.
You need to drill a hole just big enough to be able to self tap a screw through it, be careful not to break the handle

What a great idea, i'm doing this with mine tomorrow
Cheers
Paul
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
willz
#567 Posted : 29 October 2016 18:18:39

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

hi eveyone, long time no see!! thanks all for your comments, appreciated, well been jumping from one thing to another, managed to buy some walnut strips and finish the hull planking, although still lots of sanding and cleaning up to do.
When i was making the front of the keel (the water cutter) it tapered from the top to the bottom, (it got thicker as it went lower) well for some strange reason the rear also tapers from the top to the bottom, but this time it gets thinner as it gets lower, Confused
sternn.jpg
z8000783
#568 Posted : 29 October 2016 19:19:39

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

I know people who don't do what we do may think we are mad but, that picture is a thing of beauty.

Well done, Willz
Gandale
#569 Posted : 29 October 2016 20:54:52

Great work, she's looking brill....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
willz
#570 Posted : 30 October 2016 13:46:27

Cheers lads, heres a couple of new pics, one is showing the finished planking the other shows how the keel tapers down towards the stern, also I found that lining the hole for the rudder made it much easer to get a nice finish (not very clear in this photo).
when you look at these old galleons and admire their construction and beauty, it confuses me that below the water line they seem to be built back to front with the stern being elegant tapered and streamline and the fore almost like a bulldozer, but there again what do I know ??
finished hull.jpg
tapered keel.jpg
birdaj2
#571 Posted : 30 October 2016 14:42:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

You have made a stunning job of your planking.

Hope the build continues to go well.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Garth
#572 Posted : 31 October 2016 07:19:21

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi,
Lovely job on the planking, true craftsmanship.
Kind regards,
Garth
"Measure twice, cut once!!!"
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Current build: Black Pearl.
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Wish list: USS Constitution.
DaDokta
#573 Posted : 31 October 2016 11:46:10

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi, awesome planking. I love the natural finish!
Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:
Revell B-24D Liberator 1:48

On the shelf:
Italeri "Fiat Mefistofele", Italeri "Moto Guzzi California", Fokker "Red Baron", Revell Bismarck, Revell Tirpitz, Arab Dow, Stage Coach, .....

Completed builds:
McLaren MP4/4, D-51 Steam Locomotive, HMS Victory, GWH F-15D Eagle, St. Stephen`s Cathedral (cardboard), Solar-powered paddle Steamer (little project with my son), HMS Victory X-section, "Geli" Phantom II (cardboard)
pemberg
#574 Posted : 31 October 2016 12:09:07

Beautiful work with the planking, well done.
Graeme
ian smith
#575 Posted : 31 October 2016 13:29:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

looking fantastic. keep up the good work.
IanCool Cool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
willz
#576 Posted : 19 November 2016 16:55:55

First thanks all for your appreciation, appreciated

Heres a simple jig to make the lower wale stock shape thingy`s
first hand make your stock shape as accurately as you can, both ends have to be the same depth.
Nest get a piece of 6mm ply about 150mm square
set your saw about 30mm in from the edge
jig 1 (pic1) super glue some scrap square from the edge so you can cut your pieces all the same length.
Jig 2 (pic 2 & 3) from the next right angle on the jig cut down the ply the length of your piece then place your hand made stock longest cut angle against the blade with the blade still in the cut (make sure to turn saw off) then super glue some scrap down the exterior and bottom edge, remove from jig and replace with an uncut length and super glue some scrap down the other edge..
jig 3 (pic 4) turn the jig again and cut down the ply about 40mm turn saw off in cut and place the hand make piece against the blade and super glue some scrap against the outer and bottom edge of the piece, remove from saw and super glue scrap down the long finished edge whilst still in the jig.

Ok sounds all a bit complicated but if you look at the pictures you should be able get the gist, the beauty of this jig is that fact that if its done right you can cut all the offset stock shapes without ever adjusting you saw and if you need to make some more it shouldn`t be that difficult to reset the saw to the jig, a word of caution before you wizz through all the pieces you must check both ends for the same depth

cheers all
File Attachment(s):
jig 3.jpg (274kb) downloaded 27 time(s).
jig 1.jpg
jig 2.jpg
jig2 withcut.jpg
finstock.jpg
Gandale
#577 Posted : 19 November 2016 22:00:40

Lovely work Willz and thanks for sharing..... Looks quite straight forward simply due to the way you've described the process.... well done....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
willz
#578 Posted : 01 December 2016 17:26:26

cheers Alan, the saw cuts in the jig have increased in width due to variation caused by the amount I`ve cut (over 100 pic 1), so before i shelve the jig i did a small cut on the last corner and called this the set cut in case i need to make some more pic 2,

cheers all Willz
sticks.jpg
set.jpg
willz
#579 Posted : 20 December 2016 18:03:45

just been cleaning off traces of glue with water from inside the gunports, pic 1 the second pic is one of the files that i used for filing the gunports down to the inner linings, not very clear in this photo but i ground the edge till it was smooth with a grinder (see arrow), so when filing its much easier to control without damaging the side bits

cheers Willz
gunports.jpg
gunports file.jpg
willz
#580 Posted : 20 December 2016 19:44:55

Changing the wale colour, now this ones a bit tricky, here we go, I`ll try a tutorial

ok the lower wale, it has a top thinner edge thats the same colour all its length. So first we glue this thin strip all along the ship at its correct position.
The next wale plank is double the thickness and changes colour from yellow to black along its length (in my case boxwood to walnut) start glueing the second plank in single thickness from the stern until the corner meet the walnut (arrowed pic 1)
one.jpg