Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

33 Pages «<2930313233>
willz buildz Options
willz
#601 Posted : 05 January 2017 20:22:12

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

so now all I have to do is make another one and stick it in, so I make another one and stuck it in, didn`t quiet hit the colour change line on the right hand side but when the cannon is in place It will cloak that……

cheers all
willz attached the following image(s):
fixid 1.jpg
willz
#602 Posted : 05 January 2017 20:23:15

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

and now them both together
bad match.jpg
fixid 1.jpg
Gandale
#603 Posted : 05 January 2017 21:39:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Excellent, great tutorial....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
willz
#604 Posted : 07 January 2017 16:33:41

cheers Alan

when starting the gunport linings i noticed that the bottom of the gunport was showing a lot of the wales and it didn`t look right, there is no stop lats at the bottom of the gunports, so i decided to stick a thin piece of mahogany on the bottom first then do the 1mm stop lats at the side and top, this sort of works but my new mahogany isn`t as good a quality as my initial batch, (this colour and quality change of different batches in my build is becoming the biggest problem)
the first pic is of how i started and the second it finished, you can see the better quality of the original mahogany, but all my fault, that is over 4 years ago or so

cheers
gunport linings.jpg
gunport linings finished.jpg
willz
#605 Posted : 07 January 2017 22:34:33

gunports linings done, cannons going in
cannons going in.jpg
cannons going in 1.jpg
Gandale
#606 Posted : 08 January 2017 11:27:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looking great Willz and I like what you've done with the bottom of the gunports.... big improvement....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
willz
#607 Posted : 10 January 2017 21:59:41

cheers Alan.
finished all the cannons on the lower deck port side so it on with the other side.
one small point when i was making my cannons for the bottom deck i kinda went overboard with the detail, although you can see that they are full cannons the detail is lost, just means that i did a lot of work for very little effect, all good practice tho. heres a pic of my bottom cannons, as you can see i`ve only bothered tidying up the from part..
cheers all
bottom deck cannon.jpg
Gandale
#608 Posted : 10 January 2017 22:21:08

Looks great.... many have done similar, added detail only to find later it is all hidden..... all part of the rich rewards of building, good practice though..... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Martyn Ingram
#609 Posted : 10 January 2017 22:53:19

BigGrin very nice looking cannons Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Mo
#610 Posted : 10 January 2017 23:29:21

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Love the planking on post 567, great bit of work going on here, like your jigs, well worth thinking about it, and making jigs to make life easier.

Mo.

Mo
willz
#611 Posted : 12 January 2017 20:15:45

cheers lads
whip it round and start again
lol
starboard side.jpg
Garth
#612 Posted : 20 January 2017 08:41:50

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Willz,
Awesome craftsmanship once again. Truly inspiring.
Kind regards,
Garth
"Measure twice, cut once!!!"
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Current build: Black Pearl.
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Wish list: USS Constitution.
willz
#613 Posted : 27 January 2017 19:56:08

cheers all appreciated, small update on the bounty launch
bounty half.jpg
bounty 2.jpg
bounty 3.jpg
Gandale
#614 Posted : 27 January 2017 21:57:23

They look amazing Willz, once again beautiful work....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Shauncnh
#615 Posted : 27 January 2017 22:14:30

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Excellent work, its looks amazingCool BigGrin

Regards Shaun
Building-RC spitfire
Build- titanic,Skyrider drone, solar system, T72 tank
magpie1832
#616 Posted : 27 January 2017 23:51:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Stunning launch build. Excellent.

Chris Cool
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

willz
#617 Posted : 08 March 2017 01:00:33

cheers all appreciated,
ok here i have a problem, for some strange reason some of my planking has opened up (see pic) this is the worst of the bunch, now i could leave it as it is, but looking at it sorts of gets under my skin. so i would like to hear your thoughts,
i`m thinking of filling them with two pack no exactly the same colour (dont you just love it when someone spells colour correctly) but it will take away the blackness of the gap, so come on lets hear your thoughts, cheers Will
gaps.jpg
Garth
#618 Posted : 13 March 2017 15:49:45

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Willz,
Great job on the launch. Your craftsmanship is truly inspiring.

Regarding the gap that requires filling - my Dad taught me to mix wood shavings (obviously of the same colour) with white glue to use as filler rather than typical filler. This works on general carpentry, not sure on a gap that small.
If you chose to go this rout, perhaps do a test first.

Good luck.
Garth
"Measure twice, cut once!!!"
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Current build: Black Pearl.
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Wish list: USS Constitution.
Gandale
#619 Posted : 14 March 2017 00:23:47

Hi Willz, with a gap that small I would try masking the area off so that only the gap is showing. Take some wood of the same colour and sand it to create some sawdust. Mix the sawdust with some diluted PVA to create a paste and using the edge of a knife blade push the paste into the gap. Allow to dry, remove the masking tape and sand smooth.... Try it on a test piece to see if it will work for you..... Hope this helps....

Regards

Alan
willz
#620 Posted : 09 June 2017 14:44:41

cheers Garth and Gandale, tried a few test pieces at filling and not yet happy with them, decided to leave till near the end of build. (i`m sure there will be more by then)
so started the wales on the starboard side amd i must admit keeping the colour divide down the wales is making me drag my feet, heres a pic of the second one down just completed, its not too bad, there a small hole near the stern pictured and for once i`m leaving it is how it is.
cheers lads n lasses
starboardwale.jpg