Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

12 Pages «<9101112>
Captain David's Build Options
claret
#201 Posted : 17 August 2013 09:46:29

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hi Captain,

Planking looks great.

Regards
Claret
Also working on:
SOTS.
Moebius 1/32 Flying Sub with PE & lights.

Waiting in the wings:
Polarlights Spindrift from Land of the Giants.

finished:
007 Iconic DB5.
Captain David
#202 Posted : 17 August 2013 18:13:15

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Thank you for being kind, Claret.
I think it will do!
Much filler needed, especially at the bow, where there is quite a stepped effect and I don't want to sand away too much. I guess that is unavoidable.

I am quite happy with the bamboo so far.
Maybe I am lucky with the supplies I have had. Over 10% are perfect, without knots. Most have a knot at one end, which gets cut away as waste.
Where the knot is nearer the middle, I get a useful piece and an offcut for using later. I have not had to include any knots on the hull so far.
The strips take a bend easily just by soaking for half an hour in cold water, then clamping to the right curve and leaving to dry before using.
Martyn Ingram
#203 Posted : 17 August 2013 18:21:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Nice work David BigGrin BigGrin Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Captain David
#204 Posted : 17 August 2013 21:17:25

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Thanks, Martyn.
Captain David
#205 Posted : 24 August 2013 22:24:23

I have got as as far as row 8 on the bottom. That's all the ones that needed a 90 degree twist at the stern. The twists worked quite well with a soak in cold water then clamping round a bit of battening.
The bow is looking a bit crowded. There are still seven more planks that are supposed to terminate on the bow former. They will have to be tapered to about a millimetre at the tips, to fit them all in.

Captain David attached the following image(s):
IMG_0920r.JPG
IMG_0921r.JPG
NMBROOK
#206 Posted : 24 August 2013 22:38:21

Groups:

Looking good DavidCool Cool
I think that although you could fit drop planks,because this is unsupported first planking,you will get the best shape by tapering as you say.
Kind Regards Nigel
Captain David
#207 Posted : 26 August 2013 07:43:37

Thanks Nigel.
I am considering departin from the plans a bit, by not terminating all of the planks at the bow. Maybe one or two tapered to rib 5 or 6, like the 11th one I have just done on the sides.
Captain David
#208 Posted : 30 August 2013 10:49:18

Two changes from the official instructions for the planking.

At the bow, I couldn't sand the tip of plank layer 11 to a smooth curve. So I decided to use a drop-plank method - at least, that's what I think you call it. This worked much better for me and the next plank went in easily.

At the stern infills, the instructions tell us to put in an offcut next to the bottom plank, then a tiny piece below that. I couldn't see how that little piece would glue in strongly - it has to overhang 2mm at the keel but there is barely any glueing area for it. So, I reversed the infill arrangement. Now, the bigger piece is fixed below, with a good glue joint. The little infill will go above.
Captain David attached the following image(s):
IMG_0930r.JPG
IMG_0931r.JPG
jase
#209 Posted : 30 August 2013 11:04:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking good just remember not to force a plank to do something that is not natural putting stress on the plank and misshaping the plank fall. Also it's good to keep your mind on the plank two or three ahead so in your minds eye you can see how the planking will look. I may be wrong but from the pics you have shown your planking at the stern may be rising above the middle plank lay too quickly.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Captain David
#210 Posted : 30 August 2013 11:33:29

Thanks Jase.
I was worried about the gaps between the planks at the stern. Every gap quoted was different and so, I started adding them up.
It is easy to fix them slightly out, with the twist and so on.
After 4 layers, I added up the gaps I should have, plus 5mm for each plank, then marked out for the next plank to the total depth I should have achieved.
jase
#211 Posted : 30 August 2013 22:58:02

Ok, watching with interest keep the pics coming

jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Gandale
#212 Posted : 30 August 2013 23:00:28

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Nicely done David and Jase gives good advice on letting the planks lay where the want to go, never force into position... also bear in mind the bamboo layer will sand down very nicely to give you the aim of a very smooth hull, all in preparation for the 2nd layer... Lovely job so far.... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
claret
#213 Posted : 31 August 2013 10:16:48

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Captain,

Coming along nicely.

Some good advice being offered, which makes the forum invaluable!

Regards
Claret
Also working on:
SOTS.
Moebius 1/32 Flying Sub with PE & lights.

Waiting in the wings:
Polarlights Spindrift from Land of the Giants.

finished:
007 Iconic DB5.
Captain David
#214 Posted : 02 September 2013 07:41:50

Thanks you guys for your encouragement.
Marcel
#215 Posted : 03 September 2013 17:46:09

Your bow planks show signs of clinker, (it appears when planks are forced lateral to close gaps. Let the planks falls natural and fit stealers or droppers in the gaps. A technique that takes time and practice.

Marcel
"Rather try and fail than had failed to try".

Sovereign of the Seas

Model Space forum: Marcel's build
karl1113
#216 Posted : 03 September 2013 20:39:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

sorry cpt,but must have word with marcel. hi marcel, I know you are trying to help.but the way it is written, it's comes off as criticism,I'm sure the cpt. is well aware of the build and will continue to improve as he progresses just like you.so a little more diplomacy please,and you won't hurt anyone else' s feelings. k.
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
Captain David
#217 Posted : 03 September 2013 23:11:28

Thanks Karl, it's OK.
I am expecting to use a fair amount of filler at the bow!
The planks went in easily, where they seemed to want to go naturally, without any strain.
I did not bevel them, as I expect that a little bit of sanding and then filling will give me a fair surface for the next layer.
We will see!
Marcel
#218 Posted : 04 September 2013 00:22:13

Blushing
Sorry Captain, I do not meant to critisize your work. You are doing a great job and I am sure it will turn out great. I apologise for not being diplomatic and will continue watching your diary.

Marcel
"Rather try and fail than had failed to try".

Sovereign of the Seas

Model Space forum: Marcel's build
Captain David
#219 Posted : 05 September 2013 19:44:44

Marcel, it's OK.
I appreciate all input!
Often another eye sees what you have not seen.
Captain David
#220 Posted : 09 September 2013 08:49:44

The planking has got to me a bit...
So, this is where I have got to with the launch.
The floor assembly painted and fitted.
Fore and aft gratings painted and fitted.
Thwarts etc fitted.

I painted the gratings with a Tamiya brown, rather than blackening. I am assuming that these are supposed to be hardwood gratings, so brown would be more realistic. It took two fine coats to get the brass covered, without too much filling in of the mesh. Yes, I know that I have glued the aft one in a little askew!

I have not fitted the thwarts exactly as per the instructions. I have discussed this elsewhere but I was puzzled by the positions of the oar slots - relative to the thwart benches - in the official build. The oar slots/rowlocks should be placed just in front of the rower, who will be facing aft. In the instructions, they are placed randomly, with no relationship to the seats. The way I have done it, the slots can be cut just next to the seats, without fouling a rib.

It all looks a bit messy on a blow-up photo but I think it looks OK in real scale.
File Attachment(s):
IMG_0945r.JPG (298kb) downloaded 22 time(s).