Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

12 Pages «<101112
Captain David's Build Options
jonny7england
#221 Posted : 09 September 2013 10:14:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi Captain...Coming along real well!! ThumpUp
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
delboy271155
#222 Posted : 09 September 2013 19:56:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Cap`n,BigGrin

The planking can be a bit of a tester, but, keep at it you will get there and then wonder what all the fuss was about. Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

NMBROOK
#223 Posted : 09 September 2013 21:22:00

Groups:

Hi Captain
I wouldn't let the planking get to you too much.I think you are doing a great job.Planking without infilling the hull with balsa etc especially at the bow is a real test of skill and coupled with the fact you are using bamboo which isn't very forgiving,you should be proud of what you have achieved.The clinkering at the bow is extremely hard,if not impossible to avoid,using normal stripwood,although infills do reduce this.Like you say there is nothing that a skim of filler will sort out,you are right not to oversand the hull.At the end of the day the most important work on the first planking is not the planking,but the preparation for the second planking.It does not matter whether you have to use filler or not,what matters is the final shape.I have seen plenty of builds(not on this forum)where the builder was determined not to use filler(just to say I didn't use filler)and when the second planking is fitted,the hull is full of lumps and bumps and the bow looks like a 50p.If you do feel that you may need more than the thinnest skim of filler,buy the ronseal filler that is two part and comes in a tin.The single part stuff is great for tiny cracks but anything bigger is no good as it will crack.The two part stuff is as strong as the wood and I'm not afraid to say I have used it in the past.
Kind Regards Nigel
Gandale
#224 Posted : 09 September 2013 22:57:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Keep at it David, it will be worth all you efforts in the end.. Just do a little at a time and slowly you will see it all come together.. Cool Cool .. The way I avoid the drudgery of some parts of the build is simply to do a little at a time.... Cool Cool .. Good luck...

Regards

Alan
claret
#225 Posted : 10 September 2013 08:47:53

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Captain,

Once finished and sanded silky smooth, you will wonder what all the hassle was.LOL

keep going, preserve, you are doing a great job.

Regards
claret
Also working on:
SOTS.
Moebius 1/32 Flying Sub with PE & lights.

Waiting in the wings:
Polarlights Spindrift from Land of the Giants.

finished:
007 Iconic DB5.
Captain David
#226 Posted : 10 September 2013 23:18:40

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Thanks for the encouragement, all you guys.
I am proceeding slowly at the moment. It will all come together in the end...
Gandale
#227 Posted : 10 September 2013 23:25:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Captain David wrote:
Thanks for the encouragement, all you guys.
I am proceeding slowly at the moment. It will all come together in the end...

Hi David, it really doesn't matter if you are proceeding slowly, the fact you are proceeding is the important part, its not a race after all.... Most evenings I can only spend at most 2 hours on my build and many evenings its a lot less than that.... Cool Cool .. Will be watching with interest and am here to help if I can, even with my minimal experience..... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Captain David
#228 Posted : 13 September 2013 19:40:19

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Thanks Alan.
Well, the weather is getting worse, so less work on painting my barge, less to do on the allotment.
Back to shipbuilding!
Captain David
#229 Posted : 15 September 2013 20:01:53

Lights!!!
I have found the Xmas lights that I had hidden away.
They come as a string of 20 LEDs, with a battery box for 3 AAs.
Pulled them through the hull with the cord I had fitted earlier.
Seven LEDs left in the lower gun-deck, leaving seven for the next deck and six for the stern cabins and lantern.
I cut away the battery box, so I can feed the cable through a hole that I will drill next to the keel mounting position. The cable will then go inside the brass tube that I intend to mount the ship on.
Well, it might work.Laugh
Captain David attached the following image(s):
IMG_0947r.JPG
IMG_0948r.JPG
IMG_0949r.JPG
Captain David
#230 Posted : 31 October 2013 11:33:57

Distractions have slowed me down!
Just a bit more hull planking done this month.
I am doing this freestyle, as I can't see how I will get another 12 planks to terminate at the bow. Starting to use drop planks at the front.
I also had difficulty with the stern, so decided I will let the planks go where they want (to some extent) so there is not too much forcing.
Hopefully I will find more time soon.
Captain David attached the following image(s):
r.JPG
IMG_0961r.JPG
jase
#231 Posted : 31 October 2013 13:45:44

Your absolutly correct to not force the planks, let them fall naturally and that will give you a view of what droppers and wedges you need.

looking ok so far just take your time

J
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Foz
#232 Posted : 31 October 2013 14:26:01

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking really nice. I look forward to your progress and see her lighted up.

Regards

Foz
Gandale
#233 Posted : 31 October 2013 22:01:32

Progressing very nicely David, keep posting....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Martyn Ingram
#234 Posted : 01 November 2013 08:33:45

BigGrin Hi David top tip on the lighting looking forward to see it light up BigGrin Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
claret
#235 Posted : 01 November 2013 08:50:48

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Captain,

She's coming a long a treat!.

Regards
Claret
Also working on:
SOTS.
Moebius 1/32 Flying Sub with PE & lights.

Waiting in the wings:
Polarlights Spindrift from Land of the Giants.

finished:
007 Iconic DB5.
stevie_o
#236 Posted : 01 November 2013 18:53:46

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi David, the planking is looking very good and Im sure the lighting will look great.
You need to check if the battery lighting you are about to use is wired in serial or parallel - if its serial wired and you have a bulb blow then this will shut down all the other bulbs too and your not going to be able to replace it either.
Steve