Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages <12
Positioning the Keel brace Options
Son of Bulwark
#21 Posted : 22 May 2010 16:10:18

Groups:

Hi magpie1832! BigGrin

So what if your a land lover now!, by the time you've finished the build you'll be like an Old Seadog instead of a New Entry in the navy.

You'll soon pickup the terms and if your totaly clueless just ask!. Someone will be able to help! Cool
Tarbrush
#22 Posted : 22 May 2010 16:43:28

Groups: Registered

snowtiger wrote:
Capt Steadders it's not nautical terms....it's that bit, to that bit, and then that bit to that bit...etc......dead easy realy....LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL Flapper

Am I getting my bits and bytes mixed up.Blushing One's to do with rope or are they sheets: the other 0's and 1's, or have I bitten off more than I can chew and come to the bitter end of the anchor chain?!!!! Oh, and is that a dead easy eye?LOL
Mike Turpin
#23 Posted : 22 May 2010 18:03:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month

Ah bits and bytes!!

A bit (binary digit) is either 1 or 0; a byte is eight bits and I wonder how many people know what 4 bits are called?

(Nothing to do with sailing ships but makes a refreshing change BigGrin BigGrin)

Mike T
willie
#24 Posted : 22 May 2010 18:19:24

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service Medal

Capt Stedders wrote:
Thanks Andy, but...

At the risk of sounding terminally dense, isn't there only one keel?

Confused Confused

None the wiser

Crying

*Does anyone realise just how painful it is to have quite a large (Normal) vocabulary only to be totally befuddled at all these nautical terms?

nope there is a bilge keel as well Confused
Capt Stedders
#25 Posted : 22 May 2010 18:26:33

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

willie wrote:

Noooooooooooooooo

*runs off, screaming*

Laugh

I may have to employ one of our more nautically minded brethren as a translator before we are through..

Schnellboots on back burner

Tools.

karl1113
#26 Posted : 22 May 2010 18:28:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

er.......... 4 bits = 1/2 byte.Cool
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
Mike Turpin
#27 Posted : 22 May 2010 18:46:08

Capt Stedders wrote:
willie wrote:

Noooooooooooooooo

*runs off, screaming*

Laugh

I may have to employ one of our more nautically minded brethren as a translator before we are through..

I wondered whether Willie was referring to the Keelson or kelson which is an internal series of timbers which are bolted through into the keel below the ship?

seems I'm wrong -- just looked up definition of bilge keel. They are are fins on the hull of a ship to reduce the tendancy to roll. I've not come across them before, would I be right in assuming they don't apply to old sailing ships?

Zeptrader says:
Maybe I/we could start a thread that list's terms used during the progress of our build, just thinking aloud. I know there are 100's of terms but maybe the most common and if people want to add as they go then so be it, sort of a complete forum effort.

I would go along with that if we could keep the thread in a static place where people can quickly see it. It would also be difficult to keep it in order.

What we can do is make sure that as terms are mentioned in the build, they are defined within the relevant forum posts and then encourage people to search for the term in order to see the definition.

See what others think -- I'm happy to help in anyway I can

Mike T

Dontshootme
#28 Posted : 22 May 2010 19:02:49

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Mike..4 bits = a nibble (I think)
Bilge keels are primarily for boats/ships that "take the ground" ie when the tide goes out they are left standing,also as you said they help out with stabilisation.
A lot of ships used to put in along the Bristol Channel coast just along from me near Minehead & "took the ground" to allow loading/unloading,they even cut grooves in the rocks to allow carts to be rolled out to them,they can still be seen in some places.
Nowadays bilge keels are primarily used on yachts that moor up on tidal creeks etc,most of the yachts at our local sailing club have them as Burnham has the 2nd highest rise & fall of tide in the world & it leaves a lot of evil sticky smelly mud behind.
Rob Nolli Illigitimi Carborundum!!!
Current Builds:HMS Victory,SV Thermopylae
willie
#29 Posted : 22 May 2010 22:09:26

bilge keels are for stabilisation neerly all boats/ships have them from fishing boats to oil tankers dont fancey beaching an oil tanker
dedworthdog
#30 Posted : 23 May 2010 09:56:34

Mike Turpin wrote:
Ah bits and bytes!!

A bit (binary digit) is either 1 or 0; a byte is eight bits and I wonder how many people know what 4 bits are called?

(Nothing to do with sailing ships but makes a refreshing change BigGrin BigGrin)

Mike T

So a byte is the same as a piece o' eight shiver me timbers and splice the main brace (dragging the thread back to a semi nautical theme)LOL LOL LOL LOL
Follow my build to learn how to make firewood

Dontshootme
#31 Posted : 23 May 2010 10:30:01

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

willie wrote:
bilge keels are for stabilisation neerly all boats/ships have them from fishing boats to oil tankers dont fancey beaching an oil tanker

A bilge keel http://farm2.static.flic...46457280_6d40ae8d18.jpg
willie
#32 Posted : 23 May 2010 10:40:52

Dontshootme wrote:
willie wrote:

A bilge keel http://farm2.static.flic...46457280_6d40ae8d18.jpg

if that the bilge keelsConfused where the main keel
Dontshootme
#33 Posted : 23 May 2010 12:50:37

Don't need one, bilge keels do the same job.Yes modern ships have rudimentary bilge keels to assist the automatic stabilsers but in the days of sail they were an essential part of a Coastal trader that needed to call at ports where the tide left shallow water,ie Lyme Regis in Dorset,or call into tidal creeks or places where there was either no port or it was uneconomical to transport goods to ports.
These days they are primarily used on yachts that moor up in those same places.
I can only assume that 34feet the launch was considered large enough to warrent the use of some sort of stabiliser,after all it would have been used to transport stores etc
Mike Turpin
#34 Posted : 23 May 2010 13:06:42

Dontshootme wrote:
Mike..4 bits = a nibble (I think)
Bilge keels are primarily for boats/ships that "take the ground" ie when the tide goes out they are left standing,also as you said they help out with stabilisation.
A lot of ships used to put in along the Bristol Channel coast just along from me near Minehead & "took the ground" to allow loading/unloading,they even cut grooves in the rocks to allow carts to be rolled out to them,they can still be seen in some places.
Nowadays bilge keels are primarily used on yachts that moor up on tidal creeks etc,most of the yachts at our local sailing club have them as Burnham has the 2nd highest rise & fall of tide in the world & it leaves a lot of evil sticky smelly mud behind.

You are right about the nibble, when I mention that on I.T. courses delegates think I'm taking the mick!

The 24ft launch on Victory doesn't have bilge keels, the boat is shaped so it can be run up a beach and sit in a stable postition on the sand/pebbles. The ships boats were often used for armed landings in this way. The rubbing strips shown in Tomick's build and others were simply there to prevent the bottom planks being badly scuffed. These strips could be easily replaced as they were worn.

Mike T
Trotsky
#35 Posted : 23 May 2010 17:32:06

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

4 bits = 50 cents
H.M.S Victory
H.M.S Victory X Section
H.M.S Surprise under the bench
D-51