Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages 123>
Bf 109E-4 Eduard Kit with Upgrades. Options
Wilfy the Sea Dog
#1 Posted : 09 March 2013 22:53:16

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hi all,

Couldn't decide whether to re-start this kit or go with the Trumpeter Bismarck.

Decided to go ahead with the Bf 109 & wait until Jase has got further on with his build of the Bismarck, as he is obviously very knowledgeable on ships & ship kits & I have never tried a plastic battleship one before.

Hope you don't mind me following your tips & picking your brains Jase?

Anyway, made a little start on the Bf 109 a little while back but for whatever reason stopped.

I now have the base kit, an Eduard etch upgrade & an Eduard 'BIG Sin' set.

The 'Big Sin' set is mostlty reson & includes: a complete new engine (28 parts + etch), a complete MG 17 mount assemlbly (22 parts + etch) & a replacement whell set (7 parts + masks), the tyres are not weighted though?

I also have an RB Productions seat belt set & a sheet of placards.

I will put some pics up of the components shortly.

I warn you! I am a bit of a novice when it comes to resin, so maybe some of us can learn together.

Thanks for your time.

Wilfy

jase
#2 Posted : 10 March 2013 00:27:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking forward to seeing this build. I have used resin before - one thing I will say at this stage is the dust from resin is a nasty so wear a face mask when sanding and clean up the dust straight away.

Can't wait to see your progress Cool
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
arpurchase
#3 Posted : 10 March 2013 09:53:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Wilfy
Looks a nice kit with the upgrades, iv not done much work with resin either so will look forward to your diary
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Nemesis
#4 Posted : 10 March 2013 11:50:06

Looking forward to seeing this underway!! I have worked with resin, and as Jase said the dust is nasty, wear a painters face mask and clean up straight away. Otherwise it is a very interesting medium to work with!! BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
Wilfy the Sea Dog
#5 Posted : 10 April 2013 00:09:28

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Well finally got around to doing some pics of the what I intend to build.

I haven't photograhed every sprue, but can say they are all well moulded & have no flash.

The first pic is of the boxtop image, I intend to build the version flown by Adolf Galland & have a resin figure of him to display with the aeroplane (if I manage to paint it acceptable! Blink )
Wilfy the Sea Dog attached the following image(s):
box top.JPG
Wilfy the Sea Dog
#6 Posted : 10 April 2013 00:14:53

This next shot shows the included Eduard etch, their etch upgrade set, RB Productions seat belts & a set of Airscale placard decals (to further enhance the cockpit)
bf109 add on parts.JPG
Wilfy the Sea Dog
#7 Posted : 10 April 2013 00:19:27

I also purchased the Eduard 'Big Sin' set which includes loads & loads of resin upgrade parts.

The first pic shows the upgraded power plant which includes a complete resin engine & various ancillary items + pipework & new cowl.

The detail is fantastic.
resin engine.JPG
Wilfy the Sea Dog
#8 Posted : 10 April 2013 00:22:26

The next resin set Eduard describe as the 'MG 17 Mount' it is very comprehensive & includes 29 parts + etch!
resin mg.JPG
Wilfy the Sea Dog
#9 Posted : 10 April 2013 00:24:33

Last but not least is the wheel set, bit boring but will enhance the finished model. (Wish they were weighted though!)
resin wheels.JPG
Wilfy the Sea Dog
#10 Posted : 10 April 2013 00:26:31

I have made a start on assembly but have to be honest & say with all the add ons it is a little confusing following 4 sets of instructions so may be a slow build. (hopefully not as slow as my SWS which is almost complete now!)

Thanks for looking.

Wilfy
arpurchase
#11 Posted : 10 April 2013 00:47:28

BigGrin Hi Wilfy
You probably already do this but with what you have in the way of etch and resin [ very good by the wayDrool ] its best to build in sections for instance make up the engine 1st as it will go into the fuse early in the build and I know what you mean about 4 sets of instructions on loki I had the same
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Wilfy the Sea Dog
#12 Posted : 10 April 2013 00:57:48

Hi Andy,

Thanks for looking.

Will definately be built & painted in sub-assemblies. The worst part is the colour photo-etch, have to make sure you assemble so far & then paint & then add the etch, should be fun! Confused

Wilfy
arpurchase
#13 Posted : 10 April 2013 01:01:02

BigGrin Yup painted etch and working round it has given me many a headacheCrying but the result is worth itDrool Drool Drool

Wilfy the Sea Dog
#14 Posted : 12 April 2013 22:44:21

Hi All,

Have made a little progress on this one.

Got the cockpit side panels detailed up, was a little fidely with all the etch & wire, but I am fairly pleased with the outcome so far.

Just need a bit of tidying up & some blending & weathering now.

Thanks for looking.

Wilfy
sidewall left.JPG
sidewall right.JPG
Nemesis
#15 Posted : 12 April 2013 22:48:49

Mum, MUM! he is at it again with the Eduard kits!!!Flapper LOL LOL
Very tidy start Wilfy, and I am a sucker for interior detailing even if it cannot all be seen. Keep up the good work sir and looking forward to seeing your next post.BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
Wilfy the Sea Dog
#16 Posted : 12 April 2013 22:48:54

Also started on the resin engine assembly (no pics though) has taken a while to remove the casting blocks, great care & patience!

Do you know that the main engine block even had tiny spark plugs cast into recesses (sadly 'had' is the right tenseBlink) Didn't know they were there so broke most of them off whilst removing casting plug! Blushing

Will probably make it easier to fit the wires though. BigGrin

Wilfy
SennaMentalMe
#17 Posted : 12 April 2013 23:02:05

Groups:

Great start Will looking forward to seeing the progress on the engine - I love engines!! - and keep up the good work, I'll be following this one and your Spitfire with equal interest mate!! Cool ThumpUp

Kev BigGrin
jase
#18 Posted : 12 April 2013 23:30:26

Fantastic start and great pics thanks Cool

J
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
arpurchase
#19 Posted : 13 April 2013 09:24:40

BigGrin Keep the pic's coming WilfyCool

Wilfy the Sea Dog
#20 Posted : 08 December 2014 12:27:33

Hi All,

Just to show I haven't been totally idol of the last year or so, here's my progress on the BF109E-4.

The engine isn't finished yet, just sat in the bay & the machine guns need fitting.

I plan to display it with the front cowling's off to keep guns & engine visible.

Thanks for looking

Wilfy
me1.JPG
me2.JPG
me3.JPG
me4.JPG
me5.JPG