The build as of March 2013

SandyM attached the following image(s):
IMGP1031.jpg
IMGP1030.JPG
IMGP1029.JPG

Various balsa aircraft both rubber powered and RC
Billing Jyland
Billing Wasa
Billing Dutch Royal Barge (gold medal winner Germany 1975)
Scratch built HMS Victory using HMSO plans hull size 26"
Scratch built Yamato Hull size 8'8"
De Pardo HMS Bounty

Current build Sovereign of the Seas
court orchard
#2 Posted : 11 March 2013 17:49:26

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

That looks good Sandy.
Andy

Building:Samurai Armour, SOTS, Victory X-Section, Bismarck, D51
Finished:WW I Bavarian NCO, Caldercraft HM Bark Endeavour FFG 58 Samuel B Roberts,
SandyM
#3 Posted : 11 March 2013 18:09:55

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Thanks Andy,
I don't like working with bamboo as the planking is full of lumps and bumps where the plank was cut through the bamboo node, no matter how much I soaked them I could not get them straight.
Sandy

Billing Jyland
Billing Wasa
De Pardo HMS Bounty

court orchard
#4 Posted : 11 March 2013 19:41:33

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I agree Sandy, those Nodes, which seemed to be present on nearly every length of the Bamboo, were one of the deciding factors for me to plank in Limewood. They are much harder and brittle, and as you say do not bend whereas the rest of the Strip bends almost too easily. I could see that this would cause problems with differential bending and differential sanding.

Andy

Building:Samurai Armour, SOTS, Victory X-Section, Bismarck, D51
Finished:WW I Bavarian NCO, Caldercraft HM Bark Endeavour FFG 58 Samuel B Roberts,
Gandale
#5 Posted : 11 March 2013 22:12:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looking really good Sandy... have to admit, I did the same as Dominic, carefully selected the strakes where the nodes would not be used... Still ended up with a few on the hull... Quite enjoyed using bamboo but probably because I haven't tried planking with any other kind of wood as yet..... Sanding and filler should leave us with a very smooth hull for the second layer.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
SandyM
#6 Posted : 12 March 2013 00:17:43

Thanks a lot guys.
I agree Alan, sanding and skim filling, thank god it's a double skin model. I also cut out the worst bits , all I have left is a pile of match sticks until the next delivery.
Sandy

Billing Jyland
Billing Wasa
De Pardo HMS Bounty

MWG
#7 Posted : 12 March 2013 00:36:15

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Sandy, Nice jobBigGrin Kind regards Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

Hans
#8 Posted : 12 March 2013 08:30:45

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Good looking job there Sandy. Once you have sanded I am sure you will appreciate all the hard work and effort. Keep the pics coming.
Rgds, Hans
"It's okay to make mistakes. mistakes are our teachers - they help us to to learn, even if it is painfully"
Current Build:
Endeavour Cross section,D51
Completed: HMS Victory
Under the bench: Endeavour x 2,Sovereign of the Seas, Akagi and The Black Pearl!HMS Victory Cross Section
Admiral Anti Spiral
#9 Posted : 12 March 2013 14:09:02

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

looks great sandy! the nodes were annoying especially because they're harder to cut through, cutting the ports might be a challenge if they're in the place of the gun ports, though hopefully a dremel cutting disk should do the trick :)
Processing - Progressing

Previous builds: HMS Victory
Current build: HMS Sovereign of the seas
SandyM
#10 Posted : 29 April 2013 13:26:28

starboard stern castle

port stern

view with the aft gallery panel removed, the planking supports are dry fitted for later removal to make way for the gun rooms, upper-gun deck and cabins

view aft of the lower gun deck

view forward
IMGP1039.JPG
IMGP1034.JPG
IMGP1040.JPG
IMGP1035.JPG
IMGP1038.JPG
IMGP1036.JPG

Billing Jyland
Billing Wasa
De Pardo HMS Bounty

SandyM
#11 Posted : 29 April 2013 13:56:54

Not having the foresight to mark where the decks are I had to come up with a solution. I used a torch to accurately mark out the lower gun deck. Hope this is of use to someone.
IMGP1045.JPG

Billing Jyland
Billing Wasa
De Pardo HMS Bounty

MWG
#12 Posted : 29 April 2013 14:08:12

Hi Sandy the build is looking very goodBigGrin the touch idea is a good tip, I am framing the gun ports before I plank then I will not have to cut them Kind regards Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

arpurchase
#13 Posted : 29 April 2013 14:53:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Nice idea to use the torchCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

SandyM
#14 Posted : 29 April 2013 17:16:39

Thanks guys for your comments the torch used was stronge led type that will power the fibre optics.
Sandy

Billing Jyland
Billing Wasa
De Pardo HMS Bounty

Martyn Ingram
#15 Posted : 29 April 2013 18:19:28

BigGrin Love the work Sandy . Good tip BrilBigGrin Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
NMBROOK
#16 Posted : 29 April 2013 21:06:28

Groups:

I love the trick with the torch Sandy.You have some lovely flowing lines to the hull despite the bamboo.Thinking about your outer planking,have you considered Pear?I think this is about the nearest wood to the colour you want and is a lovely tight grained timber to work with.The only downside is its pretty expensive.
Kind regards Nigel
Gandale
#17 Posted : 29 April 2013 21:28:16

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Very nice work Sandy, love the modifications you have made... BigGrin BigGrin

Regards

Alan
Admiral Anti Spiral
#18 Posted : 29 April 2013 22:59:47

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

great work sandy! nice little tip too, should of thought of that!BigGrin
Processing - Progressing

Previous builds: HMS Victory
Current build: HMS Sovereign of the seas
SandyM
#19 Posted : 29 April 2013 23:28:35

Thanks a lot, Alan,Nigel and Martyn.
Still lots of sanding and filling to do one thing about photos they show up what still needs to be done all too easily.
I had not considered pear before, Nigel interesting, do you know a supplier? I had purchased walnut strips as per the kit sizing but after seeing your photos 2mm looks the part.
I have used fruitwood in the past for carving and small sculptures and it very good at accepting fine detail but not as good Tagua Nuts. The nuts may yet come into their own later in the build but I will have to buy new ones as mine are about ten years old and could smash cement I know as I have been trying to carve a figurehead for the launch and the cutter on the dermil barly touches it.
Sandy

Billing Jyland
Billing Wasa
De Pardo HMS Bounty

NMBROOK
#20 Posted : 30 April 2013 01:20:23

Groups:

Yes Sandy I do Dennis Nixon at twigfolly.com.This company is based in Norfolk.They machine timber strips to what ever size you want metric or imperial.The strips from what i gather are run through a thickness sander so this really is premium accurate material.Like i said you could be talking £1.50 per length.The 4mm by 2mm boxwood i used is over a pound a length.That is why i did the black painted area on my hull in walnut,walnut is a third of the price and its getting painted.
Do you know i was going to ask you wether you had considered Tagua nutsLOL I have managed to find a uk supplier of these(most are in south america).Let me know if you need it i will find it for you.
I take it you are following in Bill Shorts footsteps.His Sovereign is truely is a masterpiece in the making.He has now brought out his own book on carving.
Kind Regards Nigel