Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
SotS Build Options
aescleahs
#1 Posted : 14 March 2013 02:55:33

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hi there! So...i've been reading here for a while and collecting the mags for a bit now, up to issue 15. I've started to have a look at some of the parts yesterday but unfortunatly 2 of the 4 keel parts are warped. I'm hoping that they will straighten out with some warm water and a large slab...
does anybody have advice/tips on how to do it? As far as i understand you soak the parts for about 20mins in warm water and then place them on a flat surface under weight.?

Hopefully while that sorts it self out i can get on and make the dry dock.

for now i've dry fitted the keel together with clamps untill i can flatten them. I suspect i'll have the same problem with the ribs aswell. going to be a lot of soaking and pressing...

Feel free to comment and offer up suggestions
Hans
#2 Posted : 14 March 2013 08:39:49

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome aboard. You seem to have everything under control for now. Looking forward to seeing some pics. You have come to the right place. Plenty of support here you can't go wrong.
Rgds, Hans
"It's okay to make mistakes. mistakes are our teachers - they help us to to learn, even if it is painfully"
Current Build:
Endeavour Cross section,D51
Completed: HMS Victory
Under the bench: Endeavour x 2,Sovereign of the Seas, Akagi and The Black Pearl!HMS Victory Cross Section
delboy271155
#3 Posted : 14 March 2013 13:50:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

aescleahs wrote:
Hi there! So...i've been reading here for a while and collecting the mags for a bit now, up to issue 15. I've started to have a look at some of the parts yesterday but unfortunatly 2 of the 4 keel parts are warped. I'm hoping that they will straighten out with some warm water and a large slab...
does anybody have advice/tips on how to do it? As far as i understand you soak the parts for about 20mins in warm water and then place them on a flat surface under weight.?

Hopefully while that sorts it self out i can get on and make the dry dock.

for now i've dry fitted the keel together with clamps untill i can flatten them. I suspect i'll have the same problem with the ribs aswell. going to be a lot of soaking and pressing...

Feel free to comment and offer up suggestions

Hi,
Welcome to the "madhouse"LOL LOL
A couple of things to help get you started;

I have never had a warped part on my SOTS (lucky I guess)but,I just started the Victory and the bow section of the false keel had a warp in it. Like you say it will need a soak and pressing,make sure that what you use as pressure plates are seriously flat and strong or it could end up worse.
I used two large pieces of timber and a pair of sash cramps and then left under pressure for two days, result:Flat.

I also see you are about to build your dry dock, have a look at other build diaries and make your mind up as to which you think is best. Look at bracket sizes and positioning but most of all take your time to make sure everything is straight and square, any errors in this part will be reflected in your build.

Good Luck and don`t forget this is the best place to get help and advice.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Martyn Ingram
#4 Posted : 14 March 2013 21:06:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Angry I had warp on one .spray with hot water put under two tiles with lots of books on top for 2days .Result flatLOL
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
delboy271155
#5 Posted : 14 March 2013 21:29:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Martyn Ingram wrote:
Angry I had warp on one .spray with hot water put under two tiles with lots of books on top for 2days .Result flatLOL

Hi BigGrin
As the old saying goes"There`s more than one way to skin a rabbit",but it`s the end result that counts.
You use what you have to hand, WTG.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Gandale
#6 Posted : 14 March 2013 22:49:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi, welcome aboard.... you have joined a great forum here... Am sure you will have a very successful build and will thoroughly enjoy the experience..... Good luck and welcome once again....

Regards

Alan
aescleahs
#7 Posted : 15 March 2013 03:35:15

thanks for the info guys(and/or gals) Going to soak and press my parts this morning after finishing work (12hour night shifts suck)...

as for my dry dock...i've tried metal brackets but finding it near impossible to get square ones... i do however have some of the plastic ones from sleco
failing that i was going to try cuting some blocks of wood at 90* angles and using those.

Thanks and i'll post pictures as i get them :)

Thanks
aescleahs
#8 Posted : 16 March 2013 18:24:25

Just went to check on my parts after a soak on friday morning. So far not going well they are now looking worse then before :S Not sure what i've done wrong to be honnest. trying a diffrent way of pressing them and keeping my fingers crossed...
Tomick
#9 Posted : 16 March 2013 19:07:56

Groups:

You can always request replacements..
aescleahs
#10 Posted : 16 March 2013 21:36:47

Tomick wrote:
You can always request replacements..

Hadn't thought of that To be honest...I'll give it a few more days to try and un-warp the parts if no joy i'll give CS A ring cheers Tomick
Gandale
#11 Posted : 16 March 2013 22:25:42

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Aescleahs, sorry to hear of your problem with warped parts, we all experience them from time to time. If you have been reading my build diary you will have noticed I had exactly the same problem with a warped bow spirit, no matter what I did over a period of 3 weeks the parts just went back to their warped condition.... in the end I resigned on the issue and ordered replacements... Sometimes you just get badly made parts that cannot be rectified.... Good luck in whatever you decide to do.....

Regards

Alan
Admiral Anti Spiral
#12 Posted : 17 March 2013 02:00:25

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

i also had this same problem, i should of just reordered another, but i managed to fix it slightly only it doesn't work as well as it should because its plywood, good luck on your outcome!
Processing - Progressing

Previous builds: HMS Victory
Current build: HMS Sovereign of the seas
aescleahs
#13 Posted : 22 April 2013 16:24:06

Right I'm back...I was mooching through my parts today and found a section of the forward keel that i'd originaly abandonded (due to the stregthening joints being skewif...
as best i can tell though its dead straight so..after some tactical trimming with a mitre saw and some files...it looks like i'm back in the game so to speak.

anyway I've cracked on a little bit and started putting the rib formers on to the false keel (I'm not going to glue them just yet)

so far the only real problem i've come up against was when i put rib 7 in place it seemed to want to twist...but after a bit more of a trim on the support (only about 2mm in total) it fits much better although i think i may have to invest in some form of a support to keep it straight either the block method or possibly balsa in fills. (i'm still very cautious of this as i don't want to have any more accidents (the missus has already chewed my ear off about having to re order the keel ><

pics bellow including a rather messy work area/photo studio..

delboy271155
#14 Posted : 22 April 2013 16:50:38

Hi aescleahs,
Glad to see you back in the fray. Keep us updated as you go and good luck.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Captain David
#15 Posted : 22 April 2013 18:02:50

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Don't worry too much about one rib wobbling around in it's slot at this stage.
Wait till you have the lower deck ready to fit.
Then glue in each rib, one at a time, using the slots in the deck pieces to check the rib alignment. Put in wooden blocks for the rib you have fitted (as in masterclass issue 9). When the rib glueing is dry, remove the deck pieces, glue in the next rib and again, use the deck pieces as a jig for alignment. Leave the wobbly-fit rib till last, so that the deck and the well-fitting ribs will keep it in place.
A bonus is that your deck will now fit perfectly when you glue and pin it in.
Well, that's what I am going to do anyway.
If you still have any on the keel joints to glue up, can I suggest that you dry-fit the ribs either side of the joint, then glue in the bracing plates, which should be a kiss-fit between the ribs. Remove the ribs before the glue sets, as they might get stuck in with any excess glue squeezing out.
Gandale
#16 Posted : 22 April 2013 21:28:44

Hi aescleahs, looks like you have got off to a nice start there... well done... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
aescleahs
#17 Posted : 23 April 2013 16:07:07

So cracked on today got the keel fitted together and once again had a slight issue...I only had one part 18 (god knows where the other has gone...) but after a bit of diy on a spare part 24 all is well with the world. got up to rib 20 assembled and dry fitted to the keel.
I'm going to follow the advice and fir the decking first to make sure things are in the right place.

I also had the realization that some how i've managed to order enough duplicate issues to build at least 2 sets of the keel and ribs :S (lets keep this one quite from the missus...no idea how i managed it)

anyway the little ones just got up so thats put a hold on my sanding and gluing for the day. pictures to follow tonight

PS further updates may be a tad slow over the next week I've got to prepare a presentation for an interview for promotion at work...so if anybody wants to help fill in " What ideas can you bring to the controller role to balance managing resources, hit performance and ensure meal breaks are taken appropriately to support the trust in maintaining patient care" then please feel free to pm me :D
aescleahs
#18 Posted : 25 April 2013 15:30:56

ok so all the ribs are now assembled (not attached to the false keel yet though) I've dry fitted them and they are all sitting nicely...for the most part.
Also went and assembled the bow sprite which was all fine and dandy (apart from falling off the keel...)

then i came to dry fitting the deck. I know the ribs arent fitted to the keel yet properly (I'm planning on using blocks to support them) but i had a slight issue in getting the decking to go together without some strong encouragement and they aren't properly alligned (see pictures
anyway hopefully i'll get it sorted soon but any advice would be brilliant (i suspect the keel may have something to do with it...either that or i'm just incompetent and should stick to airfix LOL LOL

Gandale
#19 Posted : 25 April 2013 15:54:18

Hi Aescleahs. Here is my immediate thoughts on what I see. You say the keel is perfectly straight so I will take that as read.. (first thought was banana boat syndrome, ie keel not straight and true along its entire length). With that in mind I would hedge your ribs are not set at 90 degrees to the keel both on the horizontal and vertical plane, my best bet is some of your ribs may be out slightly horizonatally. Measure the gap between the outer edges of each of the ribs, they should be exactly the same on both sides of the hull... Cool Cool

Hope this helps.

Regards

Alan
Tomick
#20 Posted : 25 April 2013 15:57:49

Groups:

A good indicator is the alignment of the decks sections, if they don't align then you certainly have rib/keel alignment problems, which need to be resolved before you start laying planks on the hull.