Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

keeping the ribs square Options
wallace
#1 Posted : 23 May 2010 21:35:47

Groups: Registered

hi all, i just wondered if someone out there could help. obviously the ribs will need to be square when glued to the keel so i was wondering what would be the best way to do this and if there is a tool out there that could help.
Zeptrader
#2 Posted : 23 May 2010 22:12:56

Groups: New Members, Unapproved

Hi, if you check the 'Index of Post' in my sig (bottom of this post)you will find a list of previous post's (there are many) regarding this topic.
But in short use metal brackets found at most harware shops, make sure they are square first before buying.
cliffweld
#3 Posted : 23 May 2010 22:15:56

Hi Wallace,i use right angle metal brackets that you can get from any hardware store and clamp the ribs to the keel frame until the glue dries.
CURRENT BUILDS
HMS HALIFAX
HMS BOUNTY
LYDIA EVA(STEAM DRIFTER)
MANTUA COASTAL CANON
COREL VICTORY CROSS SECTION
TAMIYA 1/35 MATILDA MK 2
HACHETTE TIGER TANK
DRAGON 1/35 TIGER TANK
budgie
#4 Posted : 23 May 2010 22:18:30

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

BigGrin hi wallace is this for main keel or the launch

check out build diarys for making a jig to keep the keel level

i would ensure work bench is level with the use of a spirit level

then when placing keel between brackets check by using an engineers square

then u can use right angle brackets clamped to the ribs and keel while glue dries but check check check they are at correct angle again using eng square
i think a picture tells a thousand words so best to check build diaries for clarity

(Crying i should learn to practise what i preach)
sure some of the other guys will post a clearer description or other methods tried & tested

tomo29
#5 Posted : 24 May 2010 14:09:21

cliffweld wrote:
Hi Wallace,i use right angle metal brackets that you can get from any hardware store and clamp the ribs to the keel frame until the glue dries.

thats what i a going to use
karl1113
#6 Posted : 28 May 2010 22:08:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

yep here's an easier way (put that bit on there,check once, then screw that bit here, that's it, and glue this piece to that bit and all square.)
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
budgie
#7 Posted : 29 May 2010 11:22:15

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

karl1113 wrote:
yep here's an easier way (put that bit on there,check once, then screw that bit here, that's it, and glue this piece to that bit and all square.)

Crying another dig at me????
jonny7england
#8 Posted : 29 May 2010 11:54:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Here's an idea lads, and using those angle brackets, I have purchased some one inch angle brackets, and checking that they are perfectly forty five degree angle, I was considering clamping these to the keel to get the perfect rib alignment? If somebody has already come up with this idea, I apologise...BigGrin
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
Pilgrim
#9 Posted : 30 May 2010 22:47:45

Somehow I'm not convinced 45 degree angle brackets are going to give you the result you're looking for.