Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Beeswax... Options
magpie1832
#1 Posted : 24 May 2010 13:11:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi Just quick question.
Will superglue stick to beeswax as I was going to use it on my rigging but dont know if the superglue will stick to it.

Thanks Chris BigGrin
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Capt Stedders
#2 Posted : 24 May 2010 14:13:54

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Whilst I'm not entirely sure - I would have thought 'no' (but superglue can do some curious things so I'm not 100% sure)

Even if you can get it to stick, (through good luck and dogged determination), I doubt if the bond would be as reliable as if the beeswax were not there.

However..

Might I suggest trying out the combination on some spare bits of thread/beeswax as a trial run?

If it does work, and you are happy with the results, then go right ahead on your build, if not, then don't use beeswax.

Whatever the result, please tell us what happened.

Schnellboots on back burner

Tools.

magpie1832
#3 Posted : 24 May 2010 14:21:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thanks,
I am going out shortly to get some to try it out. I will only need th s/glue to secure knots and various parts on the rigging.

Cheers Chris..BigGrin
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Mike Turpin
#4 Posted : 24 May 2010 15:26:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month

I use a solid block of beeswax. I rub the rope through the beeswax by cutting a groove in the edge. I have then used super glue to secure the knots and all seems to work but this has been a limited experience whilst sorting the gun tackles on HMS Halifax.

Mike T
magpie1832
#5 Posted : 24 May 2010 16:49:56

I just made a boo boo.Angry .lol. I got some beeswax but its Furniture polish like liquid. I just put some on the thread to see what happens. I can't find beeswax in solid for anywhere. So will look on the good ole tinternet... Will update wether the liquid stuff any good.
On the bench

Mike Turpin
#6 Posted : 24 May 2010 17:06:38

Hi

I found a really old fashioned ironmongers in Wetherby and asked for beeswax. The guy went upstairs and came down with a cardboard box containing a lot of blocks.

Just looked on Internet -- try beeswax

Mike T
Zeptrader
#7 Posted : 24 May 2010 19:16:35

Groups: New Members, Unapproved

My Bounty build was beeswaxed first before suprglues, for me it worked well.

As for the block I got mine at wilkinsons.
magpie1832
#8 Posted : 25 May 2010 00:59:46

Liquid stuff is no good.ThumbDown.
I found an french polishers in town that will sell me a block.. So will pick it up tommorrow. So Back to Call Of Duty for now...lol then I can carry on rigging.

Thanks All ThumpUp,, ChrisBigGrin
On the bench

willz
#9 Posted : 25 May 2010 03:37:36

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

call of duty, blahh, its wolfenstein 2 for me lol
Dontshootme
#10 Posted : 25 May 2010 07:35:54

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Battlefield Bad Company 2 for me,just waiting for the new MoH to come out.Drool
Rob Nolli Illigitimi Carborundum!!!
Current Builds:HMS Victory,SV Thermopylae
bountyhunter_04
#11 Posted : 25 May 2010 23:42:28

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

mag u play cod on box,pc or ps3?
magpie1832
#12 Posted : 26 May 2010 00:10:32

Hi I play Ps3. Just getting to lvl 70, only need 17000. magpie1832 tag.
On the bench

Mike Turpin
#13 Posted : 26 May 2010 00:43:37

Guys??

Whatever happened to the Beeswax, is this some foreign tongue me thinks???
Confused Crying Confused

Mike T
magpie1832
#14 Posted : 26 May 2010 08:20:45

Hi Finally got some beeswax. Tried it out, Super glue ok for medium hold but not on items needed to be strong hold. I now have adopted the idea of wax the thread too 10mm from end then make the loop on end glue it then sew it with needle and cotton. No knots needed then. Plus a nice strong hold.Flapper BigGrin
On the bench

Capt Stedders
#15 Posted : 26 May 2010 10:15:34

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

magpie1832 wrote:
Hi Finally got some beeswax. Tried it out, Super glue ok for medium hold but not on items needed to be strong hold. I now have adopted the idea of wax the thread too 10mm from end then make the loop on end glue it then sew it with needle and cotton. No knots needed then. Plus a nice strong hold.Flapper BigGrin

Glad you sorted it out, thanks for the update. Cool

As an aside, one of the... erm.. 'joys' of modelmaking is finding ways to overcome the various puzzles that present themselves. There is something almost timeless about such resourcefulness insofar that whilst we may well be working in miniature there is little to separate us from our ancestors who had to build the real things and overcome or find ways around the equally real hiccups that they faced, (albeit without the risk to life and limb if things went wrong or going a bit hungry whilst looking for another trade, if one was a bit crap).

OK, we don't have to actually design a ship in this instance or suffer the extreme physical demands of the tradesmen of yore for that matter, but the problem solving skills remain the same.

Schnellboots on back burner

Tools.