Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

6 Pages 123>»
My in between build - San Fran II Options
Gandale
#1 Posted : 21 March 2013 20:26:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Nice to see my son delivering the long awaited Artesania San Fran II kit. BigGrin BigGrin .. My first impression on opening the box is of a kit containing some good quality parts, how good they turn out to be will become apparant during the build....Blink Blink .. Some of the finishing are metal, some brass such as the cannons... Will have to decide which of these parts are to be painted...

My intention is to have this as an in between build for when there is little or nothing for me to do on the SOTS, or maybe just when I feel the need for a break and do something else.

As with the SOTS I intentend to maintain this diary which I hope will be of assistance to any others who may decide to obtain this kit and follow on behind me....Cool Cool Would welcome all comments, especially any advice or assists on how the build can be improved....

Here we go then with some pics of the contents of the box....

Regards

Alan
Gandale attached the following image(s):
DSCF1001.JPG
DSCF1002.JPG
DSCF1003.JPG
DSCF1004.JPG
DSCF1005.JPG
Gandale
#2 Posted : 21 March 2013 20:29:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Instructions appear to be fairly clear.... LOL LOL .. may regret that statement a little later on...... Two large sets of plans on the ship. rigging and masts are proveded on a 1:1 scale, these I think will come in very handy indeed.... Cool Cool .... All in all a nice little kit.....

DSCF1006.JPG
DSCF1007.JPG
DSCF1008.JPG
DSCF1009.JPG
DSCF1010.JPG
DSCF1011.JPG
DSCF1012.JPG
moriarty
#3 Posted : 21 March 2013 21:07:57

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Have a great time building her buddy, looks good when you see it altogether laid out. Look forward to the diaryBigGrin Cool Love Drool
HMS Surprise
HMS Snake
HMS Bounty
HMS Royal Caroline
HMS Victory rebuild
HMS Supply
arpurchase
#4 Posted : 21 March 2013 21:24:57

BigGrin Hi Alan
Good luck with the build, I think I read some where on here in the San Fran build diary's the kit as you have differs from the part work in that the crows nests and gratings in one are metal whilst the in the other are wood or vice-versa if you get what I mean. I think they scrapped the metal gratings and made up some from wood as they looked much better
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#5 Posted : 21 March 2013 22:03:08

moriarty wrote:
Have a great time building her buddy, looks good when you see it altogether laid out. Look forward to the diaryBigGrin Cool Love Drool

Thanks Moriarty, am sure I will enjoy the build.. Am already seeing things I think I would like to change... decking being one for a start.... Will keep you all updated with the diary.... Thanks for looking in.... BigGrin BigGrin

Regards

Alan
delboy271155
#6 Posted : 21 March 2013 22:04:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Well,Love Love Love
The kit looks cool,like the idea of a single piece false keel(as long as it`s flat and straight) and the plans look clear and precise, hope that is the case in reality.
Good luck with the build, look forward to future posts of your progress.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Gandale
#7 Posted : 21 March 2013 22:06:30

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Hi Alan
Good luck with the build, I think I read some where on here in the San Fran build diary's the kit as you have differs from the part work in that the crows nests and gratings in one are metal whilst the in the other are wood or vice-versa if you get what I mean. I think they scrapped the metal gratings and made up some from wood as they looked much better
regards
AndyCool

Thanks for that little heads up Andy.... unfortunately in this kit the crows nests are metal... will more than likely look to replace them with wood. Will have to see if I can get plans in wood or if not then this may be an apportunity to try scratch building them, after all nothing tried nothing gained eh.....Cool Cool.. Gratings are wood but think they may be a little too big so may just replace, food for thought already.... BigGrin

Regards

Alan
Gandale
#8 Posted : 21 March 2013 22:12:40

delboy271155 wrote:
Well,Love Love Love
The kit looks cool,like the idea of a single piece false keel(as long as it`s flat and straight) and the plans look clear and precise, hope that is the case in reality.
Good luck with the build, look forward to future posts of your progress.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Thank you Derek, have made an initial start simply by removing the false keel and mast supports from the frets, cleaned up the edges from ash and conducted a dry fit, all good. She is not a big ship, about half the size if not less than the SOTS and happy to say the keel is flat and straight...BigGrin BigGrin

Regards

Alan
Plymouth57
#9 Posted : 21 March 2013 22:15:15

Hi Alan

That's a nice clean looking set of parts there! The rigging instructions do look as if they were well thought out too, they look very similar to the ones on my Constructo Grimsby. The building instructions were just two pages of text with no 'exploded diagrams' at all but the rigging diagrams were very detailed giving every running rigging line its alloted belaying pin number too!
I'm sure you'll enjoy this one as much as your SOTS! Best of luck to you!

Robin

Drool Drool Drool
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
Gandale
#10 Posted : 21 March 2013 22:20:26

Plymouth57 wrote:
Hi Alan

That's a nice clean looking set of parts there! The rigging instructions do look as if they were well thought out too, they look very similar to the ones on my Constructo Grimsby. The building instructions were just two pages of text with no 'exploded diagrams' at all but the rigging diagrams were very detailed giving every running rigging line its alloted belaying pin number too!
I'm sure you'll enjoy this one as much as your SOTS! Best of luck to you!

Robin

Drool Drool Drool

Thanks Robin, the kit comes with a fairly detailed booklet giving what looks like clear instructions and blown up images.... The large sheets of the rigging plans, deck plans etc are full size and look comprehensive... First impressions are excellent but will see how it all turns out.. that will be the proof at the end of the day..... Still, am sure if I run into trouble or get stuck/confused then the help will be here if needed..... Thanks for looking in....

Regards

Alan
Gandale
#11 Posted : 23 March 2013 19:51:57

Hi, so now the build starts in earnest... Have also decided, although to date my SOTS build is going well (so far) I do not wish to build every one of my models in the same way, I want to learn different techniques for various builds and tasks giving me flexibility to chose to build in different ways... For this reason I have decided not use balsa infills for the whole of the hull, I may still use the infills for the bow and stern sections to help with the planking in this area but will decide on this a little later....Cool Cool Anyways, onwards we go....BigGrin BigGrin

Have been busy removing the keel and ribs from their frets, cleaning up all of the edges from the black ash....Huh Have glued in place on the keel the 3 mast supports, ensuring they are square to the keel and perpendicular, glued using PVA...Blink Blink

Also glued the waist deck to its supporting ribs either side. Dry fitted everything together to make sure there were no obvious issues to deal with.... Once the waist deck piece has dried fully I will continue with the next stage.... Cool Cool

All comments welcome..... BigGrin BigGrin

DSCF1013.JPG
DSCF1014.JPG
DSCF1015.JPG
DSCF1016.JPG
MWG
#12 Posted : 23 March 2013 20:36:32

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Alan, you have made a really good startBigGrin The planking is a bit of a minefield, lovely wood but very hard I found I needed to soak the planks in very hot water and form the ones around a bottle for the bow, I needed balsa infills in the bow to get a good fix for the planks.
I prefered to use aliphatic glue to get a stonger fix.
I hope you do not mind me bringing these points to your attentionBlushing If you need any help Magpie and me are here Kind regards Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

Gandale
#13 Posted : 23 March 2013 20:49:07

MWG wrote:
Hi Alan, you have made a really good startBigGrin The planking is a bit of a minefield, lovely wood but very hard I found I needed to soak the planks in very hot water and form the ones around a bottle for the bow, I needed balsa infills in the bow to get a good fix for the planks.
I prefered to use aliphatic glue to get a stonger fix.
I hope you do not mind me bringing these points to your attentionBlushing If you need any help Magpie and me are here Kind regards Mike

Thanks for those kind comments Mike and I did notice from your diary entries your need to give the planks a good soak in hot water, although the wood is nice I have noted your comments on it being quite brittle... This is also the reason I say I may still use the balsa on the bow and stern sections but being a small model in comparison to the SOTS, using infills on the whole hull may not be necessary.... This is also why I say I want to try building using different techniques with different materials, its all part of my learning process...

And of course I don't mind you bringing any points to my attention, I never would. I value your input tremendously as I do with the likes of Andy's 1 and 2, Moriarty, Mo, Karl113, Admiral and many others too numerous to identify by name... Basically keep the comments coming good or bad.....

Thanks again Mike, highly appreciated...

Regards

Alan
budgie
#14 Posted : 23 March 2013 21:09:39

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

BigGrin good start Gandale
Cool Cool me thinks i will delibrietly keep 1 step behind youCool Cool
I will be following Chris's build for changing ladders and Mike's and of course your own diary for ideas

Good luck & i look forward to how you interpret the build
Gandale
#15 Posted : 23 March 2013 21:14:42

budgie wrote:
BigGrin good start Gandale
Cool Cool me thinks i will delibrietly keep 1 step behind youCool Cool
I will be following Chris's build for changing ladders and Mike's and of course your own diary for ideas

Good luck & i look forward to how you interpret the build

Thanks for the nice comment Budgie.... Not sure how quick this build will be as it is intended to be a fill in for when there isn't too much work on the SOTS to be done... or maybe when I fancy doing something different...... Think this is going to be a fun build though....BigGrin BigGrin

Regards

Alan
Gandale
#16 Posted : 24 March 2013 22:53:20

Cool Today I managed to get all the decks pinned in place ensuring everything was square and central. Used PVA slightly watered down and glued all the joints together... So far so good....Cool

DSCF1017.JPG
DSCF1018.JPG
Gandale
#17 Posted : 24 March 2013 22:55:55

Marked out the area of the deck edging measuring 5mm in from the edges... Really like the look of this feature, the edging to me just sets it off nicely.....BigGrin BigGrin Also marked in the centre line ready for the deck planking...

DSCF1019.JPG
DSCF1020.JPG
Gandale
#18 Posted : 24 March 2013 22:59:25

Thats it for this session, a little to do tomorrow attaching the additional brace pieces to the bow and a two pieces under the stern area then we should be about ready to start fairing the hull...... Thanks to all who look in..... BigGrin BigGrin

Regards

Alan

DSCF1021.JPG
DSCF1022.JPG
DSCF1023.JPG
arpurchase
#19 Posted : 24 March 2013 23:32:25

BigGrin Hi Alan
coming along nicely
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#20 Posted : 24 March 2013 23:37:08

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Hi Alan
coming along nicely
AndyCool

Thanks Andy, this is really a fun build...

Regards

Alan