Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

6 Pages <1234>»
My in between build - San Fran II Options
Gandale
#21 Posted : 24 March 2013 23:44:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Been having a little think about the decking and have decided to change it.... This build is to a scale of 1:90, the planking supplied for the decking is 5mm wide and at this scale that would give a plank width in reality of 45cm or almost 18 inches.... that to me just doesn't appear right. Think I am going to go with Tangy planks of 4mm width, that takes us down to 36cm or 14 inches.... not perfect but a little more realistic.... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
budgie
#22 Posted : 25 March 2013 06:43:12

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

BigGrin Hi Gandale your zooming along nicely there
Blushing Hope you don't mind me saying...
Blink bit concerned looking at frame 4 and deck at bow
The frame sticks out on 1 side of the deck, might just be the photograph

I have deviated from instructions and stuck the keel in a jig gluing in one frame at a time ensuring frames are square to the keel
Gandale
#23 Posted : 25 March 2013 20:58:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

budgie wrote:
BigGrin Hi Gandale your zooming along nicely there
Blushing Hope you don't mind me saying...
Blink bit concerned looking at frame 4 and deck at bow
The frame sticks out on 1 side of the deck, might just be the photograph

I have deviated from instructions and stuck the keel in a jig gluing in one frame at a time ensuring frames are square to the keel

Hi Budgie, thanks for being eagle eyed and noticing something I didn't... rib 4 has obviously moved position..Cursing Cursing . Corrective measures are being taken as a result....Thankfully no real damage done....Cool Cool Thanks again....

Regards

Alan
Gandale
#24 Posted : 25 March 2013 23:25:05

Well, first order of business tonight was to put right the foul up I made with rib 4, thanks to Budgie for pointing it out....Cool .. Managed to loosen off the rib with the use of some directed steam in short burts, this softened the PVA enough to move the rib... Slight damage to the top of the rib on one side Mad Mad so repaired that with an additional bracing piece. All glued back together and am now happy with the result...

Gandale attached the following image(s):
DSCF1024.JPG
DSCF1025.JPG
Gandale
#25 Posted : 25 March 2013 23:26:52

Continued by adding the bracing pieces between the ribs either side of the bow.. did this using PVA and clamping into place...

DSCF1026.JPG
Gandale
#26 Posted : 25 March 2013 23:31:19

Finally this evening I glued and pinned into position the final pieces for the stern...Used a dowel to ensure the hole in the stern lined up with the corresponding support opening. Tomorrow, all going well I will make a start on fairing the hull unless I decide to infill with balsa which is looking favourite.... That decision will be made when I place her back in the dry dock jig and check everything over....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
DSCF1027.JPG
DSCF1028.JPG
court orchard
#27 Posted : 26 March 2013 00:33:30

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Alan, you have the bug. Looks a great build. I will be following with interest. Did you get it from De Ag?
Andy

Building:Samurai Armour, SOTS, Victory X-Section, Bismarck, D51
Finished:WW I Bavarian NCO, Caldercraft HM Bark Endeavour FFG 58 Samuel B Roberts,
Gandale
#28 Posted : 26 March 2013 00:52:52

court orchard wrote:
Alan, you have the bug. Looks a great build. I will be following with interest. Did you get it from De Ag?

Thanks Andy and it's a big bug too....LOL LOL .. Got the kit from my son and he bought it through DeAg.... So far can only say it's a great kit, some minor issues but nothing major..... I just find this hobby to be relaxing and so rewarding...(when it all goes according to plan....LOL LOL )... If you are looking for a fill in then I would recommend it but right now I also think your hands are so very very full....

Regards

Alan
court orchard
#29 Posted : 26 March 2013 00:56:25

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Gandale wrote:
court orchard wrote:

Thanks Andy and it's a big bug too....LOL LOL .. Got the kit from my son and he bought it through DeAg.... So far can only say it's a great kit, some minor issues but nothing major..... I just find this hobby to be relaxing and so rewarding...(when it all goes according to plan....LOL LOL )... If you are looking for a fill in then I would recommend it but right now I also think your hands are so very very full....

Regards

Alan

You're not wrong there but I'm in the mood for another build. Nearly bought AL's Red Telephone Box last night. It's the Forum effect, so many brilliant builds and kits. Must resist.... Must Resist....
Andy

Building:Samurai Armour, SOTS, Victory X-Section, Bismarck, D51
Finished:WW I Bavarian NCO, Caldercraft HM Bark Endeavour FFG 58 Samuel B Roberts,
Gandale
#30 Posted : 26 March 2013 01:12:09

court orchard wrote:
Gandale wrote:
court orchard wrote:

Regards

Alan

You're not wrong there but I'm in the mood for another build. Nearly bought AL's Red Telephone Box last night. It's the Forum effect, so many brilliant builds and kits. Must resist.... Must Resist....

Resistance is futile....Flapper Flapper Flapper
Gandale
#31 Posted : 27 March 2013 00:25:06

Tonight I put the SF II into its dry dock and happy to find everything straight and true however, now at the stage of fairing the hull ready for planking and really thought the assembly to be a little too flexible for my liking especially taking into cosideration MWG's comments on the rigidity of the planks.... For this reason I have decided to do some Balsa infills, one to help with the fairing and planking but more so to give more rigidity to the hull..... In fills have just started and will take a little time but will post pics of the progress later..

Tomorrow should be back on the SOTS build for a while considering I am due to pick up issue 30 from the newsagents.....BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin ... SF II will slow down now as SOTS is my priority build.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
delboy271155
#32 Posted : 30 March 2013 13:30:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Alan,
Love the basic shape now it`s together. Not many bow formers though.
Will you be doing some infill to aid planking?

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Gandale
#33 Posted : 30 March 2013 15:11:40

delboy271155 wrote:
Hi Alan,
Love the basic shape now it`s together. Not many bow formers though.
Will you be doing some infill to aid planking?

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Thanks for looking in Derek and yes, I do intend to do some infilling, just now sure how much yet.. Considering the planks that we will be using I think they will need all the help they can get to sit in the desired position.... Will be posting as I move forward with it...

Regards

Alan
MWG
#34 Posted : 30 March 2013 16:52:21

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Gandale wrote:
Tonight I put the SF II into its dry dock and happy to find everything straight and true however, now at the stage of fairing the hull ready for planking and really thought the assembly to be a little too flexible for my liking especially taking into cosideration MWG's comments on the rigidity of the planks.... For this reason I have decided to do some Balsa infills, one to help with the fairing and planking but more so to give more rigidity to the hull..... In fills have just started and will take a little time but will post pics of the progress later..

Tomorrow should be back on the SOTS build for a while considering I am due to pick up issue 30 from the newsagents.....BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin ... SF II will slow down now as SOTS is my priority build.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan, you have made a good startBigGrin The basic frame does need beefing up a little,your decision to add balsa infills fore and aft.is the right one. The ridgitity I was talking about comes from fitting the Mahogany planking, difficult to bend (please soak fr 30 Mins) and can split (please drill the plank before you fix)I hope you do not mind my inputBigGrin Kind regards Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

Gandale
#35 Posted : 30 March 2013 23:25:47

MWG wrote:
Gandale wrote:

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan, you have made a good startBigGrin The basic frame does need beefing up a little,your decision to add balsa infills fore and aft.is the right one. The ridgitity I was talking about comes from fitting the Mahogany planking, difficult to bend (please soak fr 30 Mins) and can split (please drill the plank before you fix)I hope you do not mind my inputBigGrin Kind regards Mike

Hi Mike, always appreciate your input and advice..Cool Cool .. Having looked at the planks closely it is my intention to pre-drill prior to trying drive the pins in...Once set, I am thinking of removing the pins and try treenailing using cocktail sticks... Will have to try a little experiment with that one.... As it's a single skin build I really don't want to see any gaps or splits, would hate to have to paint this baby.... Will also give the planks a good soak, for an hour if that's what it takes..... Still, thats all to come but so far so good..... Thanks again..

Regards

Alan
Gandale
#36 Posted : 07 April 2013 21:32:41

Made progress on the hull infilling using balsa, each of the blocks you see is 30mm deep and happy to say the hull feels solid... Still have the stern section to complete plus a couple of small gaps, hopefully will get that done within the next couple of evenings....Cool Cool .. Then the sanding arm will get its exercise.....BigGrin BigGrin .. Slow progress but I'm in no rush.... thanks to all who look in...

Regards

Alan
DSCF1062.JPG
DSCF1063.JPG
Hans
#37 Posted : 08 April 2013 09:24:47

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Must admit, she looks real strange with those infills. Almost no shape at all, but hidden underneath.....................
Rgds, Hans
"It's okay to make mistakes. mistakes are our teachers - they help us to to learn, even if it is painfully"
Current Build:
Endeavour Cross section,D51
Completed: HMS Victory
Under the bench: Endeavour x 2,Sovereign of the Seas, Akagi and The Black Pearl!HMS Victory Cross Section
MWG
#38 Posted : 08 April 2013 10:22:43

Hi Alan, looking greatBigGrin Thats the way to go in my opinionCool Kind regards Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

Gandale
#39 Posted : 08 April 2013 23:08:53

Hans wrote:
Must admit, she looks real strange with those infills. Almost no shape at all, but hidden underneath.....................

Hi Hans, thanks for looking in.... Yes she does look a little strange as it is at present but am sure you will notice a big difference when the sanding and fairing session is complete.....Cool Cool Appreciate you looking in and commenting.....BigGrin BigGrin

Regards

Alan
Gandale
#40 Posted : 08 April 2013 23:11:42

MWG wrote:
Hi Alan, looking greatBigGrin Thats the way to go in my opinionCool Kind regards Mike

Thanks for looking in Mike..... think you have converted me into believing in the merits of using balsa infills..BigGrin BigGrin .. Am sure the Vic will be getting the same treatment...Blink Blink .. Have now finished the infills and will hopefully be sanding tomorrow.... will post progress then.... BigGrin BigGrin

Regards

Alan.