Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

6 Pages <12345>»
My in between build - San Fran II Options
arpurchase
#41 Posted : 09 April 2013 00:51:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

BigGrin Hi Alan
That must be another forest of balsa you've ordered to do the infillsLOL Flapper LOL . Seriously though looking good
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#42 Posted : 09 April 2013 01:29:29

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Hi Alan
That must be another forest of balsa you've ordered to do the infillsLOL Flapper LOL . Seriously though looking good
regards
AndyCool

Started to grow my own, it's a lot cheaper......LOL LOL LOL

But as long as I get the result I want who cares eh!!!!!.... Sometimes your comments really crease me up..... Thanks as always Andy.....LOL LOL Flapper Flapper LOL LOL

Regards

Alan
Gandale
#43 Posted : 09 April 2013 23:07:28

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Tonight had it's mishaps so decided to stop before anything else goes wrong.... Started sanding and fairing the hull when my mouse sander decided to go out with a big bang..... now have to shop for another Blushing Blushing. Sanding arm put into action and got lots of exercise...BigGrin BigGrin Then, being the clumsy oaf that I am managed to knock off the small stern piece, luckily it didn't break so will be easily put back on but will leave it until I've got the hull finished... A break now as tomorrow I should get the next issue of the SOTS so will be working on her....Cool Cool .. Progress so far with the hull......

Regards

Alan

Gandale attached the following image(s):
DSCF1064.JPG
DSCF1065.JPG
arpurchase
#44 Posted : 09 April 2013 23:16:41

BigGrin Hi Alan
those ears are notorious for breaking off I don't think there's any builder on here who hasn't broken at least 1 .
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

jase
#45 Posted : 09 April 2013 23:25:55

Looking good despite the mishap BigGrin
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Gandale
#46 Posted : 09 April 2013 23:41:45

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Hi Alan
those ears are notorious for breaking off I don't think there's any builder on here who hasn't broken at least 1 .
regards
AndyCool

Thanks Andy, it wasn't the ears it was the very last piece of the stern gallery, the upright... Just caught with my wrist and heard the crack as it came away..... so please no children in the house, the air was blue Blushing Blushing Blushing

Regards

Alan
Gandale
#47 Posted : 09 April 2013 23:42:51

jase wrote:
Looking good despite the mishap BigGrin

Thanks for looking in Jase and the comments...... mishaps are fine providing they can be put right, happily this one can be.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Gandale
#48 Posted : 11 April 2013 01:08:46

Well after last nights mishaps especially the blowing up of my sander, went shopping after work and got myself a replacement Black and Decker mouse sander.... £28...Cool Cool . can't complain as I didn't have the time to shop around....BigGrin . Working on the SOTS just now but will be back on the build for the weekend.... Happy building all.. Cool Cool
Gandale
#49 Posted : 14 April 2013 19:30:18

Finally managed to finish the balsa infills and rough fairing and sanding..BigGrin BigGrin Fine sand will be done when I get to the stage of planking the hull..Cool Cool ... Now going to move onto the decking and as previously mentioned I am not going to use the decking provided, to me the scale is to large at 5mm, have decided to use Tangy strips of 4mm x 0.5mm. Still not to scale but a lot nearer... Blink Blink

Regards

Alan

DSCF1073.JPG
DSCF1074.JPG
DSCF1075.JPG
der Gohfelder
#50 Posted : 14 April 2013 19:56:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Alan!
Nice work, well done! The infills will help you with your decking.
But- do you have your own balsa forest? BigGrin

Regards, Bernd
Gandale
#51 Posted : 14 April 2013 20:19:50

der Gohfelder wrote:
Hi Alan!
Nice work, well done! The infills will help you with your decking.
But- do you have your own balsa forest? BigGrin

Regards, Bernd

Thanks Bernd for very nice comments, appreciated. Oh, and I'm keeping the balsa growers in business, got to make sure they have a healthy standard of living.....BigGrin BigGrin

Regards

Alan
Plymouth57
#52 Posted : 14 April 2013 21:35:11

Looking good there Alan! One thing's for sure - she'll NEVER sink!!BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

Keep them coming!

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
Gandale
#53 Posted : 14 April 2013 21:54:32

Plymouth57 wrote:
Looking good there Alan! One thing's for sure - she'll NEVER sink!!BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

Keep them coming!

Robin

LOL LOL .. Thanks Robin, with my building I need all the help I can get to keep em afloat..... BigGrin BigGrin

Regards

Alan
Gandale
#54 Posted : 15 April 2013 23:39:26

Small update tonight..Blink . Have made a start on the decking, first giving the decking strips a coat of danish oil... when dry decided to see how it would look using permanent marker to simulate the caulking, wanted to see how much bleed was likely to happen, not too much am happy to say... Now ready for a fine sand followed by a final coat of danish oil... Will tackle the treenailing a litte later.... Am pleased with how it's looking.... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan

DSCF1076.JPG
Plymouth57
#55 Posted : 15 April 2013 23:45:17

Hi Alan, nice looking effect on the planks there.

A few builds on the forum have mentioned using Danish Oil on decks etc, does it have any ill effect if using PVA or superglue to glue onto the oiled wood?

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
Gandale
#56 Posted : 16 April 2013 00:01:18

Plymouth57 wrote:
Hi Alan, nice looking effect on the planks there.

A few builds on the forum have mentioned using Danish Oil on decks etc, does it have any ill effect if using PVA or superglue to glue onto the oiled wood?

Robin

Thanks for looking in Robin.... Haven't come across any issues so far using danish oil. I try to be careful in applying PVA, try to keep it off the oiled side of the strakes. I only used the Danish oil on the upper face of the strake, leaving the underside as is to ensure a good bond with the PVA.... Hope this answers your question...BigGrin BigGrin

Regards

Alan
arpurchase
#57 Posted : 16 April 2013 09:31:49

BigGrin Hi all
The Danish oil will not cover glue seepage or splashes so it will show , so what Alan has done is a good way to prevent this and after its dry more coats of oil can be added to get the required colour. Nice work Alan
regards
AndyCool

Gandale
#58 Posted : 16 April 2013 23:04:03

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Hi all
The Danish oil will not cover glue seepage or splashes so it will show , so what Alan has done is a good way to prevent this and after its dry more coats of oil can be added to get the required colour. Nice work Alan
regards
AndyCool

Thats what I thought Andy which is why I decided only to apply the oil on one surface only..... Appreciate your prositive comments....BigGrin BigGrin

Regards

Alan
Gandale
#59 Posted : 19 April 2013 23:53:03

Progress very slow just now but hoping to get a lot of the decking done over the course of the weekend.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
DSCF1078.JPG
DSCF1079.JPG
jase
#60 Posted : 20 April 2013 00:14:16

Deck looks great ThumpUp

Watching with interest as I have just subscribed to the Sam Fan llCool
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain