Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

6 Pages «<23456>
My in between build - San Fran II Options
Gandale
#61 Posted : 20 April 2013 00:46:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

jase wrote:
Deck looks great ThumpUp

Watching with interest as I have just subscribed to the Sam Fan llCool

Thanks Jase, will be nice to see you join us.... she is a great little kit....

Regards

Alan
jase
#62 Posted : 20 April 2013 12:56:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Gandale wrote:
jase wrote:
Deck looks great ThumpUp

Watching with interest as I have just subscribed to the Sam Fan llCool

Thanks Jase, will be nice to see you join us.... she is a great little kit....

Regards

Alan

Looking forward to it got my first delivery this morning but wont be starting until i complete the Titanic lifeboat
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
aescleahs
#63 Posted : 20 April 2013 16:36:42

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Gandale could I ask a question? i've also started this model but i'm not quite sure how to go about putting rib 12 (the last one ) on to the false keel...? the rib has a point at the bottom so if i fix it to the false keel with the point rest on the bit of wood that sticks out at the bottome, the top sticks up quite a bit and at an angle...
is that right and do i just need to sand it or am i missing something?

in other news though looking great on the build front...i was debating doing balsa infills too but now think i probably will..
Gandale
#64 Posted : 20 April 2013 18:51:08

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

aescleahs wrote:
Hi Gandale could I ask a question? i've also started this model but i'm not quite sure how to go about putting rib 12 (the last one ) on to the false keel...? the rib has a point at the bottom so if i fix it to the false keel with the point rest on the bit of wood that sticks out at the bottome, the top sticks up quite a bit and at an angle...
is that right and do i just need to sand it or am i missing something?

in other news though looking great on the build front...i was debating doing balsa infills too but now think i probably will..

Hi Aescleahs, you are indeed correct. The point on rib 12 does sit on the centre of the false keel so don't sand it down... Nice to see another builder with us so hope you will share your work with us.... Good luck on the build....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
aescleahs
#65 Posted : 20 April 2013 22:43:16

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

ah cool thanks for the reply :)
as for the top i take it its just filed down flush with the top so the deck sits on it nice and snug?

Once the deck stage is down i'll put a build diary up (i've got waaay to many on the go >< (think the other half might suspect my "one subscription" is actually 4....)
Gandale
#66 Posted : 21 April 2013 09:09:06

aescleahs wrote:
ah cool thanks for the reply :)
as for the top i take it its just filed down flush with the top so the deck sits on it nice and snug?

Once the deck stage is down i'll put a build diary up (i've got waaay to many on the go >< (think the other half might suspect my "one subscription" is actually 4....)

Happy to be of assistance Aescleahs, again you are correct, the top is filed flush with the deck so the deck has a snug fit.....

Regards

Alan
Gandale
#67 Posted : 21 April 2013 22:17:49

Spent some time today working on the decking on the bow and foredeck, trying to ensure I came up with the look I was after. Think I came up with something I am very happy with... pics make the deck look a little darker than it actually is.... BigGrin BigGrin. Using Danish Oil on the decking strips was explained in previous posts....

Treenailing was achieved by drilling a .5mm hole then marking the hole with the point of a pencil. I also wanted the Mahogony edging to be a little darker so gave one side a coat of Burmeze Teak before fitting. Finally, gave the decks a final coat of Danish oil. Once dry I intend to seal it all with a coat of clear matt varnish.... BigGrin BigGrin ..

Thanks to all for looking in...... BigGrin BigGrin

Regards

Alan

Gandale attached the following image(s):
DSCF1093.JPG
DSCF1094.JPG
DSCF1095.JPG
DSCF1096.JPG
DSCF1098.JPG
court orchard
#68 Posted : 21 April 2013 22:36:35

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice Tree-nailing, looks really smartThumpUp
Andy

Building:Samurai Armour, SOTS, Victory X-Section, Bismarck, D51
Finished:WW I Bavarian NCO, Caldercraft HM Bark Endeavour FFG 58 Samuel B Roberts,
Gandale
#69 Posted : 21 April 2013 22:44:11

court orchard wrote:
Nice Tree-nailing, looks really smartThumpUp

Thanks Andy, lengthy process but think it was worthwhile....

Regards

Alan
Gandale
#70 Posted : 24 April 2013 09:29:38

Well I appear to have aquired a second San Fran II kit would you believe. My wonderful son bought this kit as a starter kit to the hobby and tells me it didn't quite work out the way he had hoped. Says he has made a lot of mistakes along the way, some of which he doesn't think he can repair. Told him I would take a look and see if I can rectify his errors to get back on track but alas, he has lost the interest or the desire to continue so decided he is going to bring everything to me for me to put right and finish off..... It would appear he only got to the planking stage so even if I have to strip that back then it shouldn't be a problem.... This hobby has taken off faster than I can move... LOL LOL .... Love it, will post pics when it arrives.... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
arpurchase
#71 Posted : 24 April 2013 10:20:49

BigGrin Hi Alan
Are you sure your not building Scotland's new fleet after the indipendance voteLOL Blink LOL as your quickly building up a sizeable armarda up there
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#72 Posted : 24 April 2013 21:57:55

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Hi Alan
Are you sure your not building Scotland's new fleet after the indipendance voteLOL Blink LOL as your quickly building up a sizeable armarda up there
regards
AndyCool

LOL LOL Andy, think if Scotland got it's independance it may need all the help it can get.... LOL LOL LOL Flapper Flapper LOL LOL LOL ... Got my eye on a few more but will resist for now.... BigGrin BigGrin

Regards

Alan
Gandale
#73 Posted : 24 April 2013 22:03:34

A little update on progress... Have now completed the Waiste deck decking and lined some of the forward bulkheads... Some of the pics do show the deck being darker than it actually is Glare Glare , the 2nd and 3rd pictures give a truer reflection of the colour...BigGrin BigGrin Only have to give a little tidy up to the deck edges and round the openings for the gratings... Tomorrow it will be back to finishing the first layer of planking on the SOTS....Cool Cool Thanks to all for looking in.... BigGrin

Regards

Alan

DSCF1102.JPG
DSCF1103.JPG
DSCF1104.JPG
DSCF1105.JPG
DSCF1106.JPG
DSCF1107.JPG
Tomick
#74 Posted : 24 April 2013 22:08:36

Groups:

Nice work Alan.. Cool
Gandale
#75 Posted : 24 April 2013 22:09:36

Tomick wrote:
Nice work Alan.. Cool

Thanks Mr T and thanks for looking in.... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Gandale
#76 Posted : 27 April 2013 22:52:14

A little more progress today, managed to complete another deck and lined a bulkhead.... with a little luck should finish the decking tomorrow... Slow progress but I really like how its looking... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan

DSCF1116.JPG
DSCF1117.JPG
Taz
#77 Posted : 28 April 2013 08:05:26

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Alan
Looking good and coming along nicelyThumpUp
“Count your age by friends, not years. Count your life by smiles, not tears.”

der Gohfelder
#78 Posted : 28 April 2013 08:47:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Alan!
Very nice planking, well done! I think it will be better to cover the deck when you have to go on with the hull planking/sanding.

Regards, Bernd
jase
#79 Posted : 28 April 2013 09:24:33

Looks stunning certainly rewarding the time and effort spent Cool
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Martyn Ingram
#80 Posted : 28 April 2013 09:53:33

Love Love the planking Alan stunning jobBigGrin Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe