Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

MK1 DX Pack 1/200 upgrade set for Trumpeters Bismarck Options
jase
#1 Posted : 30 March 2013 15:54:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Kit Review.

Packaging.
This large upgrade set comes in a big envelop. the packaging could be a lot better. Although everything is bagged an taped to a card i received a number of damaged parts that really is not acceptable when paying this sort of money. Some of the etch under the bags of brass gun barrels have been dented, and some of the resin parts have broken. a little bit of bubble wrap would solve this.

Whats in the Box?
The pack contains brass etch, resin parts, turned brass parts, laser cut overlay wood decks and a sheet of decals. There are three sheets of black and white instructions an four sheets of colour instructions. Although they are quit busy they look fairly simple to follow.

In detail
There are three packs of photo etch railings that come in different styles for different areas. the etch is good quality and should be easy to form as the etch is not to thin.

Fret D comes with components for the funnel as well as the catapult. the detail is loverly although the walkways that were added after commissioning are not included, these are also omitted from the Trumpeter kit.

Fret E features all the hand irons - and there are lots of them! - it also has a beautiful louvre vent for the funnel sides and the launch frames for the se plains.

Fret F has all the scuttles some ladders and vent covers as well as some replacement deck parts. The cent covers have very fine perforation that will be challenging to paint with out blocking.

Fret G contains the upright ladders and some oars that look a bit oversize. the radar arays look stunning and parts have been included to allow the ships float plains to have there wings folded, a strange ommison from the original kit as all four aircraft are included.

Fret H is the colour etch fret. This has a really nice cockpit innards for the Ardo float planes, life rings and gangway lasers all pr painted. As a general rule i am not a fan of pre painted etch and this fret really demostrights why. The paint finish is truly awful rough like orange peel. the cockpit colour is more like lime than cockpit green. Yuor either going to have to try and paint mach the etch to complete the cockpit or repaint the etch, which is what i will do. the set of pre-painted dials though are great and so to the life rings with printed text.

Fret MA has the etch parts for the main mast that accompany the turned brass mast parts

Fret TU appears to mainly contain parts for the armament including yet more hand irons, again some of the detail is really stunning.

Frets AC A & B contain the component so upgrade the ships boats, the etch is stunning with deck planking picked out loverly propellers and rudders and even the canvas frames. This level of detail makes each boat a model in its own right!

Fret AC C is the final brass sheet contains some fine detail for davits and capstans. there is also some fine chain included.

Staying with the Brass there are three bags of turned brass gun barrels that cover all the ships armament and some turned brass gun mounts for the close quarters guns. all the barrels are really well done with no machining chatter.

The two remaining bags of brass have the turned brass components for the main mast which are fantastic. the second bag has brass shells for the main gun kit as well as the ships horns and bell, all are beautify done.

There are three bags of resin parts included. these are very fin but also very delicate some of mine being damaged. There are four replacement davits which look nice but do have some air bubbles so will have to se what they look like under paint. the second bag contains reel centres for the capstans and the third bag blast bags. the blast bags are really nice but vert fine and delicate.

A sheet of decals is included that are a big improvment on the kit ones.

Finaly the set includes four sheets of laser cut wood overlay decking. These are a real triumph with lots of detail and very thin so there should not be any real issue with fine parts disappearing.

Summery
This pack of detail parts are phenomenal, certainly not for the faint hearted but the effort needed will be worth it. my only real issues is the poor packaging. I would recommend trying to check a pack before you buy if possible. Is it money well spent? yes i think so if you consider a wood overlay deck for a 1/350 scale ship on its one would set you back £40 then this is something of a bargain.Cool

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
MWG
#2 Posted : 30 March 2013 16:43:55

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

WOW JaseDrool it looks Awesome!!!!!BigGrin Happy building Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

arpurchase
#3 Posted : 30 March 2013 17:03:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Now that's an etch setCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

court orchard
#4 Posted : 30 March 2013 18:22:01

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Glad to see you got it in the end Jase.
Had no damage issues with mine, but it was sent direct from Korea and was very well packed by the seller.
One small point, those are not Brass Shells but Paravane Bodies.
Andy

Building:Samurai Armour, SOTS, Victory X-Section, Bismarck, D51
Finished:WW I Bavarian NCO, Caldercraft HM Bark Endeavour FFG 58 Samuel B Roberts,
jase
#5 Posted : 30 March 2013 18:26:30

court orchard wrote:
Had no damage issues with mine, but it was sent direct from Korea and was very well packed by the seller.

Blushing in the bag with the main guns you should have some shells they are smaller than the Paravane bodies Blushing Blushing Flapper BigGrin

J
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
court orchard
#6 Posted : 30 March 2013 18:29:51

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

jase wrote:
court orchard wrote:

Blushing in the bag with the main guns you should have some shells they are smaller than the Paravane bodies Blushing Blushing Flapper BigGrin

J

Blushing Blushing You're right I completely missed those, Cool.
Andy

Building:Samurai Armour, SOTS, Victory X-Section, Bismarck, D51
Finished:WW I Bavarian NCO, Caldercraft HM Bark Endeavour FFG 58 Samuel B Roberts,
jase
#7 Posted : 30 March 2013 23:58:48

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Now that's an etch setCool

Indeed I have not counted but I am sure somebody said it was an additional 2000 parts Cool BigGrin Scared Love
-Mark Twain