Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

17 Pages «<910111213>»
Movie version Surprise by Johncal Options
birdaj2
#201 Posted : 07 August 2016 22:46:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

An incredible beautiful build.

Many thanks for sharing such great pictures.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Tigershark
#202 Posted : 08 August 2016 09:34:53

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

WOW, absolutely stunning build there Johncal, I'm bookmarking this for future reference. Paintwork is supreme and the rigging is superb. 10 out of 10 mate.

Cheers Tony

Current Build

HMS Victory, HMS Victory Cross Section

RobT
#203 Posted : 08 August 2016 16:06:01

Amazing build. Love the film and this is just a perfect representation of the ship. I reckon that modelling expert you met would be happy to have this in the museums collection.
Matelot one
#204 Posted : 08 August 2016 18:31:29

Your build is amazing, and what you say about the general guidelines for the period,and the differences in way thing are rigged or done, well that has not changed even in today's modern Royal Navy, as we say "Different Ship, Different Cap-tally..." which means, even if you did it that way on your last ship, we do it this way!!
________________________________________________________________________________________

Built Mare Nostrum
Google Photo Album
Matelot (ˈmætləʊ) , Matlo or Matlow
noun
(Nautical Terms) slang chiefly Brit - a sailor

johncal
#205 Posted : 15 August 2016 01:07:37

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

SAILS - As you know I had to cut about 1-1/2" off the bottom of the Main Topgallant sail. Yesterday I spent a coupe of hours cutting 1"off the bottom of the Fore Topgallant sail, and I probably could have cut 1/2" off the bottom of the Mizzen Topgallant but I got away without doing it.

It's a lot of work because you have to carefully cut the thread that holds the "rope" to the perimeter of the sail where the bottom will be cut off and remove it. Then you need to cut the bottom off about 1/2" longer than you want it and then using an Iron, Fold it and iron it 1/4" up, then fold it again at another 1/4" while trimming at the corners so it looks proper. Then you need to machine sew the seam and then carefully hand sew the rope back onto the bottom on the perimeter.

I'm mentioning this because if you are planning on doing the sails and you want them to look proper, you will probably need to make this modification. I know this because I followed the kit lengths on all the masts from full sized plan drawings and nothing on the Topgallant level fits right. I also know from looking at other completed AL models that they didn't look like they fit right.

Using the Stainless Steel wire as I did makes them fit properly on the lower sails, but they just plain do't fit on the Topgallant sails no matter what. If anyone needs more help doing this, just P.M. me and I'll be happy to provide any info I can.

Just a heads up.
flyingdutchman
#206 Posted : 19 August 2016 08:59:05

Looked up "rigging lines" to get some info on forum and you have provided an immeasurable reference for many components to building a ship model. Just amazing build and pics. I am doing my first build on a far simpler ship "le Renard", following up with Occre's "HMS Revenge". Just getting to rigging/sails and this will be a great help. Cheers. Really fantastic.
johncal
#207 Posted : 24 August 2016 01:47:55

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I'm so close to finishing the Sails, I can taste it...............

One to go......................

Next, and FINALLY will be the Fore Topgallant Sail.

So today I finished the Main Topgallant Sail. You just have to keep plugging along and eventually it will get finished. I actually started the Running Rigging in April of 2014. Yes 2014. But I found the way to do this is just take your time, do a ton of research and most importantly,DON'T JUMP AROUND! You just need to stay disciplined and focused no matter what.

So anyways, I'm down to my last one which I am hoping to get done within the next month. I have things to do coming up that will keep me away from the build a bit, but I'm determined to just plug through it all and get them finished.

So anyways, I just wanted to keep with my photos and show a bunch of the Main Topgallant photos in the hope that they might be helpful to others.

BarryM
#208 Posted : 24 August 2016 12:04:59

Beautiful stuff John, makes me wonder how the heck they managed to get this all right a couple of hundred years ago???
I've spent the last couple of days trying to get the keel pieces to fit properly...much sanding on the stem bit at the front (So that's where 'From Stem to Stern' comes from !!!!)

Barry
There's no time like the present.....
davetwin
#209 Posted : 24 August 2016 12:12:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Simply stunning John!! That first picture, Wow.

It's amazing the amount of rigging these a old tall ships had
birdaj2
#210 Posted : 24 August 2016 14:26:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

John

What a fantastic build you have there.

You can almost feel the wind in those sails.

I must admit the more i see of this one the closer to the top of my "wants" list it goes.

Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Martyn Ingram
#211 Posted : 24 August 2016 17:40:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

You have certainly taken rigging to the next level John stunning work

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Matelot one
#212 Posted : 25 August 2016 13:59:56

Truly amazing! your build is stunning!
________________________________________________________________________________________

Built Mare Nostrum
Google Photo Album
Matelot (ˈmætləʊ) , Matlo or Matlow
noun
(Nautical Terms) slang chiefly Brit - a sailor

Nemesis
#213 Posted : 25 August 2016 14:03:46

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Stunning!!
flyingdutchman
#214 Posted : 27 August 2016 09:23:02

Gday John, amazing build and rigging is totally out of this world. Been looking at making rope and have been able to locate the polyester you recommended. It can be bought online in Australia but comes from the U.S., so much more expensive. Anyway, on that, I can't really pin down the thickness of the thread, have searched high and low but estimate it at .3mm. You mention using 9 threads etc, just thinking that would mean some pretty thick ropes. Of course, if the polyester is much thinner than it all makes sense. Could you indicate also what final thicknesses of ropes you made, just a few examples?Thanks
Frank
johncal
#215 Posted : 27 August 2016 16:05:47

flyingdutchman wrote:
Gday John, amazing build and rigging is totally out of this world. Been looking at making rope and have been able to locate the polyester you recommended. It can be bought online in Australia but comes from the U.S., so much more expensive. Anyway, on that, I can't really pin down the thickness of the thread, have searched high and low but estimate it at .3mm. You mention using 9 threads etc, just thinking that would mean some pretty thick ropes. Of course, if the polyester is much thinner than it all makes sense. Could you indicate also what final thicknesses of ropes you made, just a few examples?Thanks
Frank

I can't really give you the exact thickness either, as it is not specified on the spools. I did include a photo of the thread I used however, so others know exactly what I used. I will say that this thread is perfect for this scale of model. I will also say that in this scale you do not have to worry about the ropes being too big.

As to the diameters of some ropes, they need to be very thick to be accurate. Now for a bit of a description:

As you know a rope walk has 3 legs to make the rope, that means if you use 3 ropes you would have one thread on each leg, so to speak. For 9 threads you would have 3 threads on each leg. I will give you some examples of my rope construction.....

Running rigging Tan lines - 3 threads
Running rigging Black lines - 3 threads
Ties, Lifts, Truss Parrel's Black lines 6 or 9 threads - served at ends
Lower Shrouds Black - 9 threads - Front lines served
Upper shrouds Black - 6 threads - Front lines served
Ratlines, Black 3 threads
Mizzen Stay, Black 16 threads
Fore Stay, Black 21 Threads
Main Stay, Black 27 Threads

If your doing the full ship with sails as I am, you will need 6-8 spools of each color.....maybe a bit more.

Of course everything can be adjusted fatter or thinner as desired.

flyingdutchman
#216 Posted : 27 August 2016 17:16:01

Thanks John, that all makes sense. Thanks for the guide. I had a think about it and you don't get 3x thickness when twisting 3 ropes, you only get 2x. Something like that. I was going to just use the kit supplied rope for my Le Renard build and make my own for the HMS Revenge, so there's a comparison. Might change my mind now, just everything ordered from U.S. takes sooo long. Looks fantastic, though. Thanks again.
Frank
magpie1832
#217 Posted : 28 August 2016 00:12:23

Wow and WOW. Amazing work again. Thanks for sharing.
Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

johncal
#218 Posted : 11 September 2016 17:19:20

Hey Guys,

After 2-1/2 really demanding years of work on just the Sails alone,, I finally have the Sails finished. This puts me at around 90% done after a total of 4-1/2 years so far! I still have all of the rope coils to do, and quite a few deck details I want to add. I spent a couple of hours on trying some methods to make the coils, and I really was not happy with anything I did. In fact, looking on line I wasn't happy with anything I saw either. I don't care if it takes me 1/2 hour each to make them, but they must turn out realistically. period.

Anyways, I have tons of photos on this update, and hopefully they might prove helpful to someone else as to a good idea of how to do it (or not)! I will post additional pics of the coils and deck details as I finish them and once I'm done, I'll break out the good camera and do a couple day photos shoot, and then I'll post a link to all the high resolution photos. For now though, I'll start with a little celebration for reaching this milestone!!

Martyn Ingram
#219 Posted : 11 September 2016 17:34:22

Well done on getting all the sails on she is looking absolutely stunning lovely work John

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
davetwin
#220 Posted : 11 September 2016 17:34:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

It might have taken you 2.5 years to get to this point but oh boy you can't be dissappointed at what you've produced after that time.