Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

17 Pages «<1011121314>»
Movie version Surprise by Johncal Options
usersteve83
#221 Posted : 11 September 2016 17:44:21

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Wow truely a work of art. The level of work gone into your build is just amazing. Hats of to you sir
Built- Shelby Mustang, Lamborghini Huracan
Building-Spitfire, Redbull racing RB7, 3d printer, Honda CB750, Stage coach and Revell 1/400 Titanic
Gandale
#222 Posted : 11 September 2016 22:29:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Nothing short of outstanding. You must be feeling exceptionally proud of your efforts and so you should be..... amazing....

Regards

Alan
johncal
#223 Posted : 17 September 2016 19:20:49

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hey Guys,

I have started working on the rope coils for the pin rails. This is NOT easy. It took me about 4 hours just to figure out how I wanted to make them since I wasn't happy with any of the methods I saw online. I wanted to do something that was as accurate and to scale as possible which is not easy given the fact that the coils are less than 3/8" from top to bottom. Also, the "rope" I use does not like to cooperate at that size, but I did manage to beat them into submission. It takes about 10 minutes each to make the coils and install it. I will post additional photos as I make more progress.

Note" On the cannons and Barrels you can see I started out using the original "rope" that came with the kit. It doesn't look nearly as good as the ropes I made, but I was not aware of the rope making technique when I started my build and I was not going to go back and try to change everything at that point. Thankfully, the original rope doesn't detract from the rigging and since it is isolated to the deck it's not horribly noticeable. However if I had it to do over again, I would have never used what came with the kit for anything.

Martyn Ingram
#224 Posted : 17 September 2016 19:30:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Love superb work John the rigging just gets better and better BigGrin

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
pemberg
#225 Posted : 17 September 2016 21:01:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Fantastic work on the rigging, the rope coils look so realistic.
Graeme
davetwin
#226 Posted : 17 September 2016 21:12:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

The extra work you've put in making your own rope and beating them into submission certainly makes all the difference. Great job!! Cool
Gandale
#227 Posted : 17 September 2016 21:53:53

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Stunning, definite work of art.....Love Love Love

Regards

Alan
magpie1832
#228 Posted : 18 September 2016 00:28:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Truly amazing work. Drool Drool
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

BarryM
#229 Posted : 18 September 2016 15:08:19

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Awesome John, even if I get another 10years of building don't think I would get close to that..unbelievable. Those close up pics are really good, maybe a couple of shots with a pencil or something next to the details to bring out the actual scale...just a thought.

Barry
There's no time like the present.....
Matelot one
#230 Posted : 19 September 2016 17:04:21

Wow!! Truly a inspiration to the rest of us "Amateurs"
________________________________________________________________________________________

Built Mare Nostrum
Google Photo Album
Matelot (ˈmætləʊ) , Matlo or Matlow
noun
(Nautical Terms) slang chiefly Brit - a sailor

birdaj2
#231 Posted : 19 September 2016 17:09:32

Very nice indeed and those home made ropes look wonderful.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
johncal
#232 Posted : 20 September 2016 03:04:58

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the compliments. It is really hard getting into those tight spots with the rope coils. I also cracked a couple of the pin rails where they mount, but they never broke loose so it was easy to repair them with the CA Glue. It takes a lot of pressure to manipulate the coils into position. I'd really recommend when you add the pin rails to make sure they are really attached firmly. I'm glad I put them on with the good wood glue and not CA, as CA is brittle and not flexible like the wood glue. The CA is good for repairing problems but not for the initial gluing. Same thing with the fife rails.

I also have a flat clear paint I used on the rails after the coils were installed. It takes the shininess of the glue away and makes it look much more realistic. I just painted it over the rails, coils and everything. It just disappears when dry and makes everything look better.

Be prepared for a battle when you get to this stage and be careful not to damage the rigging. If you use polyester thread as I did it will be a big help because it is so durable and resilient.
tf64
#233 Posted : 20 September 2016 07:31:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Congratulations John on an excellent and impressive build.

Regards

Trev.
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

johncal
#234 Posted : 21 September 2016 00:28:49

Here's a couple more pics. I now have the Fore end of the ship all coiled up, so to speak I included a pair of tweezers to show some scale (as requested)

magpie1832
#235 Posted : 21 September 2016 06:40:43

Great work again John. Truly great job on your build.
Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

BarryM
#236 Posted : 21 September 2016 10:39:28

Really nice work John and the tweezers really show up the scale, I think I may have to invest in a considerably larger magnifying lamp....Drool

Barry
There's no time like the present.....
davetwin
#237 Posted : 21 September 2016 13:11:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Blink Drool Drool Love Love
johncal
#238 Posted : 23 September 2016 00:03:21

I know it's getting a little boring, but I did say I'd post pics of the rope coils and other things as I went along, so here's another shot.

Martyn Ingram
#239 Posted : 23 September 2016 05:17:50

BigGrin Certainly not boring looking at your build John loving all the details Love

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
delboy271155
#240 Posted : 23 September 2016 06:45:05

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Awesome,
Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool
Love Love Love Love Love

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"