Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

17 Pages «<1112131415>»
Movie version Surprise by Johncal Options
ModelMania
#241 Posted : 23 September 2016 09:23:04

Groups:

I'm not a model shipbuilder and rarely comment on the genre, but I have to say John that I find your work truly incredible. It is a sheer pleasure to look at your models, the skill involved to achieve such results is phenomenal and I can't see how anybody could possibly do it better than you have? Just absolute perfection to my eye!!

Very well done John, you are a Master Craftsman!! ThumpUp

Kev Smile
BarryM
#242 Posted : 24 September 2016 14:06:12

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

My wife want's to know how many 'Polyesters' did you have to slay in order to produce all those ropes.....LOL LOL

Barry

There's no time like the present.....
johncal
#243 Posted : 24 September 2016 19:38:51

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BarryM wrote:
My wife want's to know how many 'Polyesters' did you have to slay in order to produce all those ropes.....LOL LOL

Barry

Just killed another one today making the coils. About 16 of them...... 8 of each. but I've always been about equal opportunity.

johncal
#244 Posted : 24 September 2016 19:40:39

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Here's the pin and fife rails completed under the Main.........

delboy271155
#245 Posted : 24 September 2016 21:17:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

If there was a sea scape and horizon in the back ground, then you`d be on board the real thing.

Perfection.

Cool Love Cool Love Cool Love Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Martyn Ingram
#246 Posted : 24 September 2016 21:26:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Absolutely stunning this build is amazing I take my hat off to you Love Cool Love Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
antswain
#247 Posted : 25 September 2016 03:03:05

Stunning an inspirationBigGrin
Current builds :

AL's HMS Surprise
Model Shipyards HM Cutter Mermaid
johncal
#248 Posted : 27 September 2016 00:11:14

Just a small hint.........

I have a small rattle can of Testors Modelmaster Clear flat lacquer paint that I keep around. After I'm done installing the rope coils and the CA glue is thoroughly dry, I spray some into a small cap and brush paint the glue joints of the rope as well as the front of the coils. The flat clear finish makes the "glossy glue look" totally go away and makes it optically clear. Also the clear helps to stiffen the coils so when you clean the model they don't move around. I already have them glued down pretty securely to start so this just makes it more bulletproof. I also use that paint on the flat clear technique when I CA glue something to the deck. It really makes the glue totally disappear.
antswain
#249 Posted : 27 September 2016 00:37:46

Brilliant tip - if i get time on mine ill be giving it a go.

cheers Ant
Current builds :

AL's HMS Surprise
Model Shipyards HM Cutter Mermaid
johncal
#250 Posted : 29 September 2016 02:39:29

Here's another update. There's a lot going on in this shot. At this point, the only coils I have left are the Mizzen pin rails.I'll put those pics up next.

Next will be the studding sail booms. Once those are done the ship will be "officially" complete, at least according to the A/L directions. (Of course that's pretty funny since I abandoned the A/L directions about 4 years ago!) However, there are a lot of things I'm going to do after that, so there will be more posts for those things as well. I'm really excited about doing all the little extras. These are things I think will really make a difference. Plus the nice thing is that it will all be fun since the "mandatory" work will have been completed.

Once I get all of that done, then the next really big project will be the display case. I will keep everyone up to date on that as well.

Martyn Ingram
#251 Posted : 29 September 2016 05:20:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Love Your rope coils look brilliant John looking forward to seeing the extras you have in mind Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
johncal
#252 Posted : 04 October 2016 00:37:02

Here's the coils on the Starboard Mizzen pin rail. The Larboard pin rail is next..... and the last. Woo Hoo!!

Gibbo
#253 Posted : 04 October 2016 15:42:14

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I gotta keep reminding myself " you're not looking at a real life size ship" the detail is amazing.
Regards
Paul
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
johncal
#254 Posted : 08 October 2016 17:27:04

Hey Guys,

Today I am "OFFICIALLY DONE" with the ship. Completed at 1,316 hours. I finished the last of the rope coils and installed the Studding Sail Booms. As you know, there are some other items I will be adding and I still have the Display Case to build, so I'll still be around here and there with updates and eventually I will do a big photo shoot. But in the meantime, here are the last of the "Official Build" pics.

You will note the Captain proudly assuring that everything is Ship Shape!

Martyn Ingram
#255 Posted : 08 October 2016 17:45:53

Love What a stunning build John can't wait for the big photo shoot and see her in all her glory Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Next Build ?
Nemesis
#256 Posted : 08 October 2016 18:01:05

Totally stunning!! Love Drool BigGrin
johncal
#257 Posted : 09 October 2016 15:26:41

I got the bug up my butt to do some more work, so I made the first of my extras. This is the Binnacle and cabinet. It is 1-3/4" long x 1" high x 1/2" wide. I would have liked to get more detail, but that's about my limit for something like this. It really was pretty easy to do and it adds a lot to the overall look.Installing it was another matter. There's not much room to get in there even when working with something that small. It was about a 6 hour project. More to come in 2-3 weeks.

EDIT: I went back and changed the chimney a bit to try to get it more realistic. It's not easy considering it's only 10mm tall.

stevie_o
#258 Posted : 09 October 2016 16:13:41

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Beautiful work, so good to see her completeBigGrin I still think this is the best job done on ropework I have ever seen, it's so neat. Well done and looking forward to all the pics.
Steve
johncal
#259 Posted : 12 February 2017 18:21:30

Well, it's been a long time since I posted 've been quite busy with the Holidays and a Wedding, so this was the first I had any time to get back to the ship.

I bought 14 cast metal Figurines, did them up and installed them to the deck. It was a lot of work filing off all the flash because the metal is so hard, but it had to be done to get the results. Painting was a huge pain as the figurines are only 1-1/4 to 1-1/2" tall. All in all I'm happy with the way they look. It really makes it much easier to know the actual scale and size of the ship by having relatable items on the deck and there's nothing more relatable than people.

I will probably search around and try to add more later, but next up is the chicken coop after this.

birdaj2
#260 Posted : 12 February 2017 18:36:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Fantastic work and fully agree with you that adding in some figures really does give a better idea of size to the overall ship.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach