Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

17 Pages «<1213141516>»
Movie version Surprise by Johncal Options
Gandale
#261 Posted : 12 February 2017 22:49:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Figures add a really nice touch, makes a great deal of difference..... Lovely work as usual.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
johncal
#262 Posted : 26 February 2017 18:19:24

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Just added the Chicken Coupes. Those chickens are only 1/4" tall. Real fun..... Still haven't decided what to do next, But I like these short little projects. Each one adding just a little more detail

Nemesis
#263 Posted : 26 February 2017 18:30:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Superb work, love the chickens!BigGrin
delboy271155
#264 Posted : 26 February 2017 18:42:18

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

LOL LOL LOL LOL

Brilliant addition.

Looking forward to what comes next.Blink

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

johncal
#265 Posted : 20 July 2017 01:32:49

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Just getting started on the display case now. I've got the drawer box and legs, along with the ship base and base side plywood as well as all the base and top section framing material.

I will post some pictures as I do the construction. I'm not going to post dimensions, but you'll be able to see the construction method. It might be helpful to anyone else attempting to so something similar.

It will definitely be a huge case even though I am making it as tight to the ship as possible. It will be 60"long, 27" wide, and 87" tall.

The only materials I need to procure are the glass and the glass framing wood. Everything will be made of maple and stained a dark antique brown with glazing to add age to it.

Will keep you posted.

CaptnBirdseye
#266 Posted : 20 July 2017 12:40:58

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Love Truly inspirational build! i Can't beleive i had never seen this before. You should be justifiably proud of your acheivement Cool

Regards
Gray
BarryM
#267 Posted : 23 July 2017 13:57:50

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Ohhh my, that's a lot of timber....Huh looking forward to the build pics, I know the finished article will do justice to your ship..

Barry
There's no time like the present.....
davetwin
#268 Posted : 24 July 2017 19:09:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I've just been looking back through the last few posts of pictures and the level of detail on show in the photos is phenomenal.

You can see the love and care that has gone into your build in these pictures. Will look great in the display case when its finished.
jonny7england
#269 Posted : 24 July 2017 20:05:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Absolutely superb work...Really love the build!! Love ThumpUp
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
johncal
#270 Posted : 24 July 2017 23:04:41

Here's the cabinet frame pieces cut and ready to be put together. I will do that this weekend and then I have to route the edge design on afterwards. I know it doesn't make any sense now but as I add more photos, how it goes together will become more clear. It certainly will be big any heavy but I have quite an investment to I can take advantage of all of those great mentors I have at my place of employment! I think the secret to success is a minimum of ego and a maximum of questions.

P.S. Thanks guys for all of the compliments.

johncal
#271 Posted : 30 July 2017 01:13:46

Here's a little more progress on the display case.

Cutting the biscuit slots for joining the corners......

Gluing and clamping frame parts.....

Glued and sanded frames....

Next up is to putty all the corners and imperfections to get all the cracks and dings filled. After that the next step will be to route the edge designs on all the frames.

To avoid confusion, these are NOT the glass frames. I know it's still a little confusing but it will all make sense soon. These frames actually represent the length and depth of the cabinet. It will be 7-1/2 ft. tall. One big cabinet, but it is also as tight as I can make it with only 1" around the ship to the inside of the glass. I have a lot of cool things I'm going to do with this. I having a lot of fun with this. Can't wait!
johncal
#272 Posted : 05 August 2017 01:43:54

Just a short update to show some more progress...........

Mounting the ships base plate to the lower frame.

Mounting the lower cabinet sides to construct the lower cabinet. (shown upside down). Note the drawer box opening.

Close up of the corner showing pocket screws.

Tomorrow I will fabricate and install the corner braces to which the cabinet legs will attach to.

You may have noticed my Wife likes Ladybugs

Gandale
#273 Posted : 05 August 2017 09:03:36

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

All looking great.....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
johncal
#274 Posted : 05 August 2017 18:44:06

Here's another update. Made good progress today. Everything went exactly as I expected. I think the reason for this starts with a bit of luck, but I also visualize everything over and over to anticipate issues and basically mentally practice before executing. I helps me a lot.

Installing the corner bracing:

After this, I drilled the legs, installed the bolts, and installed to the corner bracing: You will notice the legs are installed with wing nuts so they can be removed for transportation.

Here's the basic lower cabinet structure:

The next step will be to install the drawer box. That will be a lot of work. I have to put in the side supports precisely and then mount the slides and align everything perfectly. Then I have to cut a drawer box face and install. I also have to install some trim and ornamentation and then drill holes for all of the wiring. So there is quite a long way to go, but so far so good!
johncal
#275 Posted : 08 August 2017 23:53:15

Another update with the Drawer Box installation. This part is very tricky, since the walls and opening have to be exactly square and spaced exactly the specified distance apart. If you don't do that, it won't work. Needless to say I made sure it was exactly how it needed to be. So here's some pictures on the installation:

View from under the cabinet of the bottom mount slides installed and extended to the open position. These also have the soft close feature so you can just shove it shut and it will slow down and softly close. Note the stiffener under the drawer box to keep the wood underneath the box from bowing and adding stiffness to the cabinet.

You will notice with the bottom mount slides, you do not see them when the drawer is open.

A couple of closed views.....

The next thing now will be some decorative wood trim to add a little class.
BarryM
#276 Posted : 09 August 2017 11:06:40

Now that's really impressive...Drool
johncal
#277 Posted : 12 August 2017 20:46:23

Here's another update. I spent a full day but finished off the frames that go above the window panels. This is where all the lighting and the stained glass will go. The lighting will be mounted to a Masonite cover and the stained glass goes between the 2 frames in the slots. Also on the bottom frame, 2 separate light diffusers will be used.

Next up will be to construct the window frames. I am guessing it will be a couple of weeks before I have something there to show, but when that's done the basic structure will be complete. I will still have a lot of work to do and money to spend but at least I will be done with construction. Once everything is done, I have to take everything apart to do the finishing which will be a very dark brown.

johncal
#278 Posted : 13 August 2017 22:25:11

Another quick update...... Today I cut the egg crate diffuser and test fit it into the frame. The interesting thing is they don't make the diffusers for anything bigger than a 48" light fixture but the opening in my cabinet is 54" long. So I had to buy 2 of them and cut and bond one to the other and make it so you can't tell its pieced together. Fortunately I was able to pull it off as you can see in the close-up photo. If you look really closely you can see the seam but once I paint it flat black even that will disappear. The nice thing about this set-up is that you don't get any glare from the lighting and only see it once you get right under the ship. It's cheap to do but it should add some class to the cabinet.

johncal
#279 Posted : 17 August 2017 00:51:19

Another Update!

Spent 3 hours today and cut and installed the trim on the lower cabinet. With that, other than staining/finishing and adding the electronics for the lighting, the lower cabinet is done. Also, the upper frames for the lighting and stained glass are done. The next big step is building the glass frames. I'm using 3/16" tempered glass. That alone is $250 and that's only because I know someone in the business. But it is way stronger than regular plate glass. Unfortunately, it is 60 lbs. heavier than Abrasion resistant Acrylic, but it is also $400 less expensive. So glass it is!

A good view of the bottom workings of the lower cabinet while installing the trim.

Finished trim on the lower cabinet

BarryM
#280 Posted : 17 August 2017 08:14:11

Absolutely Stunning.....What type of lighting and controls are you going to be installing...

Barry