Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

17 Pages <12345>»
Movie version Surprise by Johncal Options
johncal
#41 Posted : 18 January 2014 06:33:34

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Gandale wrote:
Beautiful work and have to say am very impressed with the rope work... Will be giving that some thought for my builds.... Love Love all credit to you...

Regards

Alan

Thank you for your comments. The thing I really like about making your own ropes is that you can get exactly the rope diameter you want by just using more or less threads to make the rope. I only used 1 diameter thread for all the different rope thicknesses you see. Makes it very easy to do. The ratlines you see only use 3 threads. The lower shrouds used 9, yet the main stay used 27. I also used all kinds of other counts.

How I make ropes........

I used the gears from here http://www.cornwallmodel...log/amati-ropewalk.html

but the wood for the kit to make it is useless as are the handles to turn it by hand and it will break in 1 day. Using their gears, this is how I modified it by buying my own nylon plastic stock and steel shafting. You'll also need to buy set screw collars to hold all of the shafts in place ( and some ingenuity). I use a cordless drill to run both sides. I can make a rope in about 5 minutes. Also, this type of ropewalk does NOT use a bobbin so it is very quick and easy to use.

You can use the original wood parts from the kit as a template to get the spacing correct for the gears (which is imperative) but other than that, the wood is useless.

How you design it is up to you. The operation however remains the same. I would however highly recommend using a drill to turn things because if you use the crank handles, you'd die of old age before you could finish the model!

I know the kit is expensive for basically for only using the plastic gears that come with the kit, but the wood parts do make a great template for making your plastic frame and the instructions do tell you how to make the ropes, and it can't hurt to support the guys that made the kit even if the kit itself is lacking in both speed and durability.

My total cost for the kit, the plastic, steel shafting, and set screw collars was about $75 USD.

..... Follow the rope making instruction that come with the kit.

Marcel
#42 Posted : 25 January 2014 20:40:24

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Your ship is very beautiful. I wish to buy a similar kit and start building.

Keep posting those pics,
Marcel
"Rather try and fail than had failed to try".

Sovereign of the Seas

Model Space forum: Marcel's build
johncal
#43 Posted : 30 January 2014 01:14:43

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Just thought I'd post a quick update. Just finished the Futtock Shrouds. Pretty happy with the results. Topmast Staves and Shrouds are next. Don't mind the camera distortion, in reality everything is very straight and even.

Gandale
#44 Posted : 30 January 2014 22:27:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Love it John, stunning work on those shrouds.. Love Love .. Thanks for the detailed explanation on how you make your ropes and of course for explaining the materials you use. Will certainly be having a closer look to see what's on the market and will probably get what's needed when I get closer to that stage of my build....Cool Cool .. Keep posting those pics, very impressive work....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
johncal
#45 Posted : 02 February 2014 21:30:05

Hey Guys. I decided to post the first part of my build log if you are interested. There is a separate folder for some early build pictures, so you might find it interesting. Don't know if you are able to get the link to work, but if it does.... happy viewing.

https://www.dropbox.com/...rt%201%20HULL.docx?dl=0

There are also some early build pics here.....

https://www.dropbox.com/...nSHwtsLLekbdBJDmoa?dl=0

Its funny looking back on the log how much your thinking changes as you learn new things especially in my case because i never built a wood ship before.
stevie_o
#46 Posted : 02 February 2014 23:18:30

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

johncal
#47 Posted : 23 March 2014 17:59:54

Here's a small update.... although it wasn't a small amount of work by any means. Finished all the Topgallant shrouds and Ratlines. Probably took me around 24 man hours to do all of them. What made it tough was using all of the thicker ropes, plus the fact that I wanted to do the serving to keep everything as accurate as possible and get everything to lay properly. Also, tying the millions of knots on the ratlines was boredom at the torturous level. Have to do all of the Topgallant stays next.

arpurchase
#48 Posted : 23 March 2014 18:36:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Very nice work JohnCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

jase
#49 Posted : 23 March 2014 19:20:13

Looks really nice Drool and yes not a lot of words for a lot of effort

love it

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
johncal
#50 Posted : 19 April 2014 18:36:54

I thought I'd share some additional photos. I've now finished all of the standing rigging. I did a lot of research to try to find the best balance between the Movie Version of the ship and what was accurate for the period. There had to be some trade-offs as the real Movie Version of the ship had some period inaccuracies. By that same token I wanted the rigging to look as close to the "Look" of the Movie Version as possible. Here's what I came up with....

Next up I'm going to work on the Anchors and a few other hull details. After that, the Spanker booms and Sail and after that all of the Sails that go to the standing rigging. Then I will start all of the running rigging, yards, sails, etc.

stevie_o
#51 Posted : 19 April 2014 18:43:17

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Gandale
#52 Posted : 19 April 2014 23:22:05

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Fabulous work John, especially your detailed rope work,,,, Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
GluedFingers
#53 Posted : 21 April 2014 10:27:32

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Stop it, John!

You're making me scared starting my own build!!!

I'll never be able to get even close to your mastery.

Blink Blink Blink

Mind you, that is not to say that I am not going to try it.

Laugh Laugh Laugh

On second thoughts, go on, John. Do your worst (best)!!!!!!!!!!

I'm loving it!!!

ThumpUpThumpUpThumpUp

Adrie.
'Where to glue or where not to glue, that is the question'

Building: Hr. Ms. de Ruyter (card), Retourschip Batavia (Revell), HMS Surprise (De Agostini)
Built (and sunk): Too many to list
johncal
#54 Posted : 23 April 2014 00:32:17

GluedFingers wrote:
Stop it, John!

You're making me scared starting my own build!!!

I'll never be able to get even close to your mastery.

Blink Blink Blink

Mind you, that is not to say that I am not going to try it.

Laugh Laugh Laugh

On second thoughts, go on, John. Do your worst (best)!!!!!!!!!!

I'm loving it!!!

ThumpUpThumpUpThumpUp

Adrie.

Adrie,

You can do just as good a job or better than I have done so far if you put your mind to it and want it bad enough. Don't forget, I never worked in wood before in my life. It's just a matter of willpower. If you read through the first part of my build log (there's a link in this thread),most of my log talks about the attitude I had to develop more than anything to do the work I've done so far.

BTW, I really appreciate the compliments. That really makes the effort seem worth while!

So, I'll just take my time, plan thoroughly and hopefully keep the standard high. I've had a good mentor that has taught me a lot about ship building and I'll be glad to share everything I've learned to anybody that asks. I don't pretend to be any super model builder, but leaning on others for help can make a big difference.

All the other posters and their builds were a big inspiration to me!

Thanks,
John
GluedFingers
#55 Posted : 23 April 2014 09:55:28

You gotta give credit where credit is due, John. Smile

For me it is all about taking the time and not to rush things. One of the things that I like about 3D modelling (whether it is in wood or in cardboard, like my build of the De Ruyter on this forum) is the fact that you constantly have to think and plan. How am I going to do this, what can I do to make it work, etcetera, etcetera. Looking at what others have done before me is certainly going to be a help there because, after all, two (or three, or four) minds are better than one!

But the crux will be the build inside my head and if I can turn theory (my plan) into practice.

Now that's a challenge! BigGrin

I'm still waiting on the (re-)delivery on the first installment and just got an email that the second installment is on it's way too, so the starting line is getting closer and closer for me. Interesting times are ahead!

I can't wait!!!

But in the meantime I will be following your build too. Your 'turning theory into practice' is just too good to miss!!

Adrie

Building: Hr. Ms. de Ruyter (card), Retourschip Batavia (Revell), HMS Surprise (De Agostini)
johncal
#56 Posted : 25 April 2014 03:06:16

Got the Anchors finished. Just have to get them rigged and lashed to the ship correctly. I'm very happy with the results. Unfortunately, the photo doesn't show the weathering and rusting properly, but you can get the idea. They are modeled after the movie version. To make the bands,I used my copper tape, 3 full wraps and used my blackener to corrode the copper and wood. The paint is hammered steel with red oxide primer used for the rust. Now I just have to make some nice thick black ropes to match The Movie Version Photos. I'll post another couple of shots when they're installed. Of course I'll put the anchors I like the most on the "A" side of the ship.

johncal
#57 Posted : 26 April 2014 23:34:08

I finished installing the Anchors today. I rigged and lashed them as close as I could to the Movie Version. Making my own ropes really came in handy for this one. I had to make my own Pulleys for this as the Kit didn't have anything even remotely close. The Anchor project was 13 hours.

Don't worry I won't shoot the Anchors with the Cannons! It's just an optical illusion from the camera angleBigGrin

jase
#58 Posted : 27 April 2014 07:59:07

This is such a nice build, i love it

I would not be surprised if you got a yellow medal soonBigGrin

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
GluedFingers
#59 Posted : 27 April 2014 11:43:03

Your rope is soooo effective, John ThumpUpThumpUp. It makes everything look so much better!

A VERY good show, which I will keep watching with baited breath!

Drool

Adrie.

johncal
#60 Posted : 01 June 2014 20:29:01

This sucks, I just wrote a whole dissertation and closed it by mistake so here I go again.

I just finished the spanker booms, all of the rigging for the booms, and the sail. I have around 30 hours into it. The biggest issue was the lack of any good information out there. The Movie Version pics are lacking as far as any useful information goes, the kit instructions are inaccurate and useless, and even my Period Ship Rigging book has holes in the instructions. So I gathered as much info as I could, shot my Mentor Jack an e-mail, and put all of the info together and came up with what you see. At least it accurately "works".

I thought I'd post a bunch of pics (sorry for the poor quality) since I thought it might be some handy reference material for someone here down the line.

I used 22 gauge Stainless Steel wire all around the perimeter of the Sail and through the middle. It goes in easy enough, and you can't see it. Also, it will not corrode over time. It adds strength to the sail where the lashings are, and it gives it a fuller, wind filled look.

P.S. I just cut all of my ropes short at the bits, and will add coils at the end of the build. All of the loose coils I just CA Glue to the deck as I go.