Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

17 Pages «<23456>»
Movie version Surprise by Johncal Options
petpole
#61 Posted : 02 June 2014 14:32:31

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

I cant believe how you have such detail in such a difficult build and the rigging is just stunning.

I am glued to this build.

Peter

PS come on Tomick where's that yellow ribbon BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

Builds in progress: HMS Victory.HMS Surprise.
Completed builds: Revell London Bus 1/24.
Builds to do:Sovereign of the seas, Hms Albion.
Matelot one
#62 Posted : 02 June 2014 22:07:57

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I agree, with the rest. Your build is outstanding. An inspiration to all us here.
________________________________________________________________________________________

Built Mare Nostrum
Google Photo Album
Matelot (ˈmætləʊ) , Matlo or Matlow
noun
(Nautical Terms) slang chiefly Brit - a sailor

johncal
#63 Posted : 05 June 2014 20:59:13

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I know it's not very exciting, but here's a couple pictures of the Mizzen Staysail installed. Pretty easy and straight forward. The wire really helps to give the sails some definition. I'll post more pics when I get the Main Staysails installed.

And thanks for the kind words on my previous posts.

George1
#64 Posted : 06 June 2014 06:11:52

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi John BigGrin

An absolutely fantastic build.Cool Cool

Love it. You certainly know what your doing.Cool Cool

Great inspiration also for Newbies like me to aim for. Cool Cool

Regards

George
Building HMS SOTS
Gandale
#65 Posted : 07 June 2014 10:58:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Fantastic work, a really beautiful build..... Love Love Love

Regards

Alan
Tomick
#66 Posted : 07 June 2014 11:03:05

Groups:

Looks great John, well done, and congrat's on receiving the yellow outstanding build medal Cool
johncal
#67 Posted : 07 June 2014 15:18:48

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thanks for the medal! I am very humbled by that. BigGrin
arpurchase
#68 Posted : 07 June 2014 15:32:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Congratulations on a well deserved Yellow medalCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

johncal
#69 Posted : 07 June 2014 19:20:08

Today I finished the Mainmast Stay Sails. I took a couple of pictures, but it's getting hard to do good pics with the cellphone. Once I get The Forestay and Jib Sails done, I'll get out the good camera and take some proper photos with a plain backdrop so you can see better.

The Main Stay Sails were pretty time consuming as there are a lot of lines to run and a lot to figure it out properly. The trick is to keep from distorting the Stays themselves as the sail lines can exert a lot of pull on them. Now of course on a real vessel, the sails (by scale) would be considerably lighter and that would not be an issue. In the end, I did manage to keep them from getting distorted, so to me that was a small victory.

I've been fighting off a nasty Kidney Stone, so I'll probably slow it down just a tad, plus I never did get finished with the inside house painting project yet. I need to get on that to keep the Captains widow happy.BigGrin

Gandale
#70 Posted : 07 June 2014 23:19:11

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi John, more beautiful work and a yellow medal that is thoroughly deserved.... Have decided to invest in the rope making kit and to give it a go, just waiting for it to arrive so I can get some practice samples done..... Would you care to tell me what threads you used on yours, if you don't mind I would like to try and emulate your fanatastic work.....Cool Cool .. Keep the pics coming, they are stunning...

Regards

Alan
johncal
#71 Posted : 08 June 2014 16:14:05

Here's the links for the thread.

http://www.joann.com/coa...ats+outdoor&start=6

http://www.joann.com/coa...ats+outdoor&start=2

So far I've used 8 rolls of Black, and I think I'll use around 5 rolls of Buff. I figured you can get it here or try to find it locally in your country. I don't know what they sell there.

This is the only thread I used to do all of the different diameter ropes. There are 3 armatures for winding the ropes. To make the thin ropes, just use 1 rope per armature. For bigger ropes, just use more thread per armature. I actually used 9 threads per armature for the Mainmast Forestay. I can give you more hints as to my thread counts later as to what I used, or you can just experiment and find what you like.

This is extremely strong thread and it is ready to use as soon as you wind it. It will not expand or contract with humidity or temperature changes, and it is extremely long lasting. On the ropes I made for the shrouds, you could easily hang a Bowling Ball from it and it wouldn't break! Note: You will need to either keep the ends knotted, or use a drop of CA glue to hold it in place because it is very slippery. You can get the glue I use here.

http://www.amazon.com/Pa...&keywords=zap+a+gap

It's the best Darned CA Glue I have ever used. I've used it for over 35 years and would never use anything else. It is invaluable for gluing a lot of different things on the ship as well. This is how I secure every knot I did on the ship. In the case of the Black thread, I painted each glue joint with flat black paint after the glue dried because the glue dries glossy, and you don't want that look, you want a tarred look. On the Buff, the gloss doesn't matter so much because you really don't see it.

For parts that I CA glue when I want the glue to set up instantly, I use this.

http://www.amazon.com/Pa...amp;keywords=zip+kicker

Just remember, when you build your rope making kit, you want to do something similar to what I did so you can use a cordless drill or something similar to do the windings quickly. If you tried to crank it by hand, it would take you a half hour to do the same rope I could wind in about 1 minute.

As a side note: If I were doing repairs to an older model where I had to match the existing rope work I would absolutely use the traditional threads and dying and waxing methods. However, I see no reason to go through such a lengthy process when this works great. It is much, much faster, stronger, and is not subject to temperature and humidity changes which result in all kinds of tensioning issues, as well rotting out due to the traditional threads being organic. I guess I could be accused of being sacrilegious to some of the old school model builders, but technology marches on. I definitely mean no disrespect to those who use the traditional methods (they've worked great for hundreds of years) but I enjoy experimenting and finding what I consider be improvements in building techniques. I don't claim to be even remotely close talent wise to some of the pros, but sometimes I get lucky. I don't claim this is the best way of making ropes, just one way.
Gandale
#72 Posted : 08 June 2014 22:17:19

johncal wrote:
Here's the links for the thread.

http://www.joann.com/coa...ats+outdoor&start=6

http://www.joann.com/coa...ats+outdoor&start=2

So far I've used 8 rolls of Black, and I think I'll use around 5 rolls of Buff. I figured you can get it here or try to find it locally in your country. I don't know what they sell there.

This is the only thread I used to do all of the different diameter ropes. There are 3 armatures for winding the ropes. To make the thin ropes, just use 1 rope per armature. For bigger ropes, just use more thread per armature. I actually used 9 threads per armature for the Mainmast Forestay. I can give you more hints as to my thread counts later as to what I used, or you can just experiment and find what you like.

This is extremely strong thread and it is ready to use as soon as you wind it. It will not expand or contract with humidity or temperature changes, and it is extremely long lasting. On the ropes I made for the shrouds, you could easily hang a Bowling Ball from it and it wouldn't break! Note: You will need to either keep the ends knotted, or use a drop of CA glue to hold it in place because it is very slippery. You can get the glue I use here.

http://www.amazon.com/Pa...&keywords=zap+a+gap

It's the best Darned CA Glue I have ever used. I've used it for over 35 years and would never use anything else. It is invaluable for gluing a lot of different things on the ship as well. This is how I secure every knot I did on the ship. In the case of the Black thread, I painted each glue joint with flat black paint after the glue dried because the glue dries glossy, and you don't want that look, you want a tarred look. On the Buff, the gloss doesn't matter so much because you really don't see it.

For parts that I CA glue when I want the glue to set up instantly, I use this.

http://www.amazon.com/Pa...amp;keywords=zip+kicker

Just remember, when you build your rope making kit, you want to do something similar to what I did so you can use a cordless drill or something similar to do the windings quickly. If you tried to crank it by hand, it would take you a half hour to do the same rope I could wind in about 1 minute.

As a side note: If I were doing repairs to an older model where I had to match the existing rope work I would absolutely use the traditional threads and dying and waxing methods. However, I see no reason to go through such a lengthy process when this works great. It is much, much faster, stronger, and is not subject to temperature and humidity changes which result in all kinds of tensioning issues, as well rotting out due to the traditional threads being organic. I guess I could be accused of being sacrilegious to some of the old school model builders, but technology marches on. I definitely mean no disrespect to those who use the traditional methods (they've worked great for hundreds of years) but I enjoy experimenting and finding what I consider be improvements in building techniques. I don't claim to be even remotely close talent wise to some of the pros, but sometimes I get lucky. I don't claim this is the best way of making ropes, just one way.

Thanks very much for the thoroughly detailed reply it is most appreciated.. I have managed to find the same product here in the UK but here is where I got the big surprise, in the states I see you pay around $3.70 for a real, the same product here in the UK retails at around £10.50.. At that price I think I will be having a look around to see if I can find anything that would be comparable... Thanks again....Cool Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
johncal
#73 Posted : 24 June 2014 02:08:26

I will be posting some good pics in a little bit, but I got sidetracked for a while but in a good way. I needed a little time off. Just 2 lines to run on the Flying jib and then I can move on to the yards and associated sails.

I got another wonderful secret anniversary trip from my wife. This time she took me to Boston to see the USS Constitution. I did all of the tours on the ship, but the night before my wife and I went down to the dock. We got talking to one of the sailors that works the ship and he offered to take me on a private tour!

In the regular tours you can only go on the top 3 decks, but my wife and I were taken throughout all of the lower decks that nobody else normally gets to see. I'm talking about crazy to get into tiny places.

Although it's an American rigged ship, it's almost identical as far as the standing rigging goes. Certainly enough to help as another source of reference. I will be posting pics to my Dropbox soon so I would encourage anybody interested in getting their standing rigging to look great would check it out. Besides, they're just awesome pics. For the most part I just took all sorts of technical shots that will give you great detail that you almost never get with pics on the web. This is good stuff.
johncal
#74 Posted : 12 July 2014 18:04:21

Here are the pictures I promised with the good camera. I'm in summer vacation mode so this is where I stopped. I'm going to be starting to think about the yards this week and may move to some real progress in another couple. I'm just a bit burned out on the ship, but I'm starting to get the bug again. It's all good, so why push it.

davetwin
#75 Posted : 12 July 2014 19:29:32

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Beautiful work, she looks amazing
Gandale
#76 Posted : 12 July 2014 22:58:23

A wonderful looking build John, credit to your skill and patience....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
stevie_o
#77 Posted : 12 July 2014 23:40:42

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

johncal
#78 Posted : 31 July 2014 04:24:18

Wow, there's cobwebs on this forum. I guess nobody else has done anything in a month or so? Let's get something going.

I just got back on task after taking a month off as the build was really burning me out. As luck would have it, the power switch on my 1" belt sander broke after shaping 4 of the yards so now I'm stalled out until that arrives.

I'm actually using my cordless drill and my belt sander as a lathe and as primitive as it sounds, I am getting excellent results so far. It really works great and you don't have to but any expensive equipment. All you need are steady hands and a good eye. Would it be off if you measured it.... I'm sure. But it looks great by eye and that's what counts.

I'll be back in the not so distant future with some more updates.

Cheers!
riff-raff
#79 Posted : 31 July 2014 13:39:02

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Fantastic looking build - hope mine looks half as good as yours when it's finished BigGrin
You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Built:
Golden Star, English Brig. RMS Titanic. (Academy 1/400 Centenary Anniversary Edition) Revell-Monogram 1/48 B-29 Superfortress 1:8 Baron von Richthofen's Fokker Tri-plane. HMS Victory. Nelsons Flag Ship. Sultan Arab Dhow. Artesania Latina Carmen II. The Battleship Yamato. Model Airways Wright Flyer 1:16 Scale. Trumpeter Bismarck 1/200. HMS Sovereign of the Seas. The Black Pearl.

Building:HMS Surprisel. Hatchette U96. Soleil Royal.
johncal
#80 Posted : 12 August 2014 03:02:27

Well, I'm over 1000hours now! I just started working on the Yards. For the foot ropes I decided to use eyes that I custom made instead of rope drops. I wanted something that would hold the foot ropes reliably and I thought that something that might be a little less accurate but better looking would be a good trade off. They are really small eyes made out of steel picture hanging wire and were tough to make but they turned out good. I will run ropes around the yards at the drops to make it look more authentic. Tonight I put the eyes on a couple of yards as I wanted to get my approach figured out before I went nuts and did them all.

You'll also see that the bands that hold the Stunsail booms are not what came in the kit. The kit ones looked like crap and they didn't work with the beefier yards I am doing. I dumped the stuff that came with the kit and bought some nice birch to make the yards. I used the old hand drill and 1" belt sander lathe and eyeball approach and it turned out great. Not exactly high speed but with a little ingenuity you can do a nice job this way. With the good wood, these things are extremely strong and true. I had a test one I broke when I was done with it just to see how strong it was, and it was really hard to snap.

Anyways I used my pressure sensitive adhesive copper tape and used multiple wraps to make the bands thick looking and used a spot of CA glue where the 2 bands touch to make them look like 1 fused unit. After it's all painted and roughed up it looks pretty authentic.

Anyways, it's coming along slowly but surely. I'll do more pics as the yards progress. I wanted to post more pics in this area because there's really nothing out there to help you along so I wanted to pass along how I'm doing it.

These yards are going to take a long time to do right.