Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

17 Pages «<34567>»
Movie version Surprise by Johncal Options
johncal
#81 Posted : 13 September 2014 23:15:22

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

I'm just about finished with the foot ropes on the yards. One more day there and then I have to put on the cleats that keep the outer ends of the foot ropes from sliding in. Of course those are just for accuracy since the ropes are glued to the yards and aren't going anywhere anyways.

After that I have to install the Flemish horses. Those are footropes that go at the ends of the lower 2 yards on the fore and main masts. Probably around another week and I'll be ready to move on to installing blocks to the yards.

Fun fun fun!

Gandale
#82 Posted : 13 September 2014 23:25:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

More fabulous work from you John, yards are looking fab..... Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
johncal
#83 Posted : 22 September 2014 03:13:55

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Well guys, nothing more to report except to say that it's really going to take a lot longer than I thought...... again!

When I talked to my Mentor I asked him about the Yard lift lines. I noticed that it appears that when you angle the yards front to back that the lift lines are going to have to bend around and rub on the shrouds. He confirmed this bit of information was correct and told me that's why all of the front most shrouds on the ship are SERVED - all the way top to bottom. ARGH!

Now I have a lot more work to do if I want to do it right..... and I do. That will be a lot of tedious thread wrapping, of course all done by hand the hard way.

It is also taking a lot of time to do the blocks/pulleys on the yards. Including some research, my first 6 blocks took 6 hours to do. Of course I had to do a lot of research to make sure I would tie things up so that everything looks proper, and then also make up some ropes that would work.

I guess the point here is it can get very frustrating when every time you do something, you find out you have just that much more to do and it's going to add a lot of time to the project.

I'm now guessing it will take closer to another year than 6 months to finish the ship. Oh well, I guess you just have to ignore that disappointment and try to eat the elephant one bite at a time, so to speak. I will get this done, It just takes lots of discipline to ignore the frustrations. THAT however, I believe (along with some skills of course) is the secret to pulling off good results not just with this, but in anything you do.

The rigging portion of this ship can take an incredible amount of time if you are willing to dedicate yourself to doing it properly, but I am bound and determined to continue to do so.
captain bligh
#84 Posted : 22 September 2014 21:34:26

Hi John

what a fantastic Job you have done of this frigate...
I have just joined and have done AL's Scottish maid about 20 years ago or so, I have bought the Sovereign of the seas and that will keep me going for a while!

Kindest regards

David.
Promise too much ...and many will be in search of you!
johncal
#85 Posted : 02 October 2014 04:30:09

It probably all said and done takes me about an hour to do 1 block like this. At this rate I'll grow old. This is a tough one to push through, but it'll be worth it......some day!

captain bligh
#86 Posted : 24 October 2014 15:26:07

What lovely work you have done John! really nice! so much so i'll be buying one too!.. I was swithering for a while on whether to buy it or not... but you have convinced me!BigGrin BigGrin Cheers John!

Kindest Regards

David
Promise too much ...and many will be in search of you!
delboy271155
#87 Posted : 24 October 2014 15:40:18

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi John, BigGrin BigGrin

Stunning work as usual Cool Cool

I`m collecting this one in my stash and will be using your excellent diary as a reference when it comes to build time. (Hope you don`t mind) Blink

Keep up the good work.

Happy Building.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

johncal
#88 Posted : 25 October 2014 00:52:46

OK, I realized why I've been stalling on the build so long. I have been taking the production method of building the Yards. That is to say putting all of the blocks on all of them before moving on.

That's not working. No matter how much I do, it doesn't look like I'm making any progress. So I am going to switch up my approach here.

I am going to build each Yard completely and rig it to the ship before starting the next yard. It may take me a few more actual hours doing it this way, but at least I will see parts going on the ship. Quite frankly it can be a little bit dejecting doing all that work yet the ship never looks any different. Also, at least I'll have something to show you guys as well (hopefully now in the very near future).

By keeping the progress more obvious, I feel I will stay more engaged with the build. I'll keep you all posted and see if my new approach gets me more motivated.

Although I have to say the colder outside weather and all of your kind comments should be a big boost to my motivation. Thanks guys!
johncal
#89 Posted : 25 October 2014 00:55:19

delboy271155 wrote:
Hi John, BigGrin BigGrin

Stunning work as usual Cool Cool

I`m collecting this one in my stash and will be using your excellent diary as a reference when it comes to build time. (Hope you don`t mind) Blink

Keep up the good work.

Happy Building.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

I'm happy to help any way I can!
johncal
#90 Posted : 15 November 2014 18:22:06

After I had begun the yards, I realized that each front shroud needs to be fully served. This is to prevent the running rigging from causing chaffing. In the interest of accuracy (and much pain to me) I have decided that this needs to be done. So far I just did the lower front Starboard Mizzen Shroud. Here's how it looks. I've got quite a ways to go to do every single front shroud.

I would highly suggest doing this step before all of the ratlines are installed. Sure wish I would have had this tidbit of information soon er myself.

regards
Gandale
#91 Posted : 15 November 2014 23:31:29

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

A painstaking process John but a job very well done..... looks fab....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
johncal
#92 Posted : 03 January 2015 19:00:46

Here is the difference between the front shrouds served or unserved. Serving makes for better accuracy and realism although it is a subtle difference. Since I only found out I needed to do this after I had finished the ratlines, it will be about 40 hours worth of work. The problem is, if I wouldn't do this I would feel like I missed the boat (so to speak)!

I am almost a third of the way through it, so it will be a while before I can get back on the yards, but at least I will know the accuracy is there. This kind of sticks with what I have said right from the start whish is, If it's not right make it right before proceeding.

I personally am finding it hard to stay disciplined to get through this but it is absolutely necessary from a philosophical standpoint if one is to be successful and consistent throughout the entire build from start to finish.

johncal
#93 Posted : 22 February 2015 18:20:25

Nothing more to post pics of, but I'm over 2/3rds done with serving all of the shrouds I mentioned earlier. It looks great. Another couple of weeks I should be back on the yards. I'm starting by finishing the lower Mizzen Yard. As you saw earlier, all of the yards themselves are completed but they all need to have all of the blocks, rigging, and sails installed to them before they are put on the ship.I'll post pics once I get the lower Mizzen done in around a month.

BTW, It looks like we have a few more new builds going on the Forum, and they look great. This model requires a lot of perseverance and my hat's off to those of you that have taken the project on. You'll definitely know what I mean about perseverance later... if not already. BigGrin
Gibbo
#94 Posted : 22 February 2015 20:24:10

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi John
i have just come across your build for the first time on this forum and i have gone through every picture and read most of what you have written about it, it is a truly stunning build, everything is very crisp and precise, the rigging is a joy to watch, and making your own ropes is dedication at the highest, looking forward to the rest of it.
Regards
Paul
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
johncal
#95 Posted : 23 February 2015 05:03:50

Thanks for the kind words!
johncal
#96 Posted : 15 March 2015 21:08:20

Well finally after months and months I have completed Serving all of the Front Shrouds. This has easily been the hardest and most frustrating part of the entire build so far. Just threading and wrapping thousands and thousands of times by hand and having to get everything perfect was really trying. All for something that only people in the know will appreciate. But, at least it's done and it is a subtle but noticeable difference. The best part now is that after the long delay I can finally get back to the yards. And I will feel a lot better knowing that I have made the build much more accurate. The problem is once you know what it right, it's not easy to do it wrong. I am now about 1 month short of 3 years on this project with 1069 total hours on the build and $1747 USD invested in it so far. But it's turning out great. I just wanted to see if I could do something in wood and how far I could push myself. So far it's been a very enriching experience.

Gandale
#97 Posted : 16 March 2015 01:02:03

And a beautiful result for your investment.... stunning work and a pleasure to see....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
davetwin
#98 Posted : 16 March 2015 15:23:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I loved Master and Commander and HMS Surprise is a fine looking ship.

As your first wooden ship you have done an amazing job, she looks beautiful. I am hoping that when I start my first wooden job that it turns out as nice as this Cool
antswain
#99 Posted : 20 March 2015 08:32:07

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

really beautiful work your ship is an inspiration well done!

AntBigGrin
Current builds :

AL's HMS Surprise
Model Shipyards HM Cutter Mermaid
johncal
#100 Posted : 26 March 2015 02:19:06

Hey guys. It's kind of an exciting update! Tonight I just finished installing the Crossjack. I'm taking a very specific approach.... from the back to the front and from the bottom to the top. This way I believe is the best way to rig the ship as you get a much cleaner approach to the rigging. It keeps my giant hands out of the way as much as possible. The other nice thing is that this yard is relatively simple compared to the other lower ones to start with, especially since this one has no sail. It's not a "practice" one, but rather a good way to determine the technique moving forward on the others.

I am going to post pics of each yard as I compete them. There is so little information out there on the proper way to rig this so I just basically came up with "a way" to do it. This is based on all kinds of Period Ship Rigging I researched and then I basically adapted it and used what would work on my configuration best. It was a lot of research. I figure as long as it's historically accurate, and it really works, I'm good. I figure by posting some decent pics, others will at least see "one way of doing it". At least I hope it can provide some ideas to others.

Anyways, before everything was glued down it worked flawlessly, so I know it's good to go. I'm really impressed with how strong everything actually is. When you make the real scale ropes, it is much stronger than just using plain thread or what came with the kit. Also, the outdoor polyester thread used to make the ropes is incredibly strong to begin with. Anyways it's a testimony to the engineering prowess of those engineering guys over 200 years ago! I really enjoy how much I am learning about what actually went into making one of these things work.

Just the rigging was 18 hours and probably another 20 on the yard itself. I'm guessing about another 400-500 hours to finish the yards and sails, but I could be a little light on that estimate. It might be a while between updates, but if I come across anything I think is helpful I'll post it up.