Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

17 Pages «<45678>»
Movie version Surprise by Johncal Options
antswain
#101 Posted : 26 March 2015 02:53:20

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

fantastic stuff keep the pictures coming im going to need all the help I can get when and if I get to this stage - just one question- the number of shrouds you have going on up from the main mast tops is different than shown on the plans is this because the movie ship had less? sorry if I seem dumb! anyways those triple blocks look daunting -once again stunning

regards Ant BigGrin
Current builds :

AL's HMS Surprise
Model Shipyards HM Cutter Mermaid
johncal
#102 Posted : 26 March 2015 03:40:04

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

antswain wrote:
fantastic stuff keep the pictures coming im going to need all the help I can get when and if I get to this stage - just one question- the number of shrouds you have going on up from the main mast tops is different than shown on the plans is this because the movie ship had less? sorry if I seem dumb! anyways those triple blocks look daunting -once again stunning

regards Ant BigGrin

Yes, the Movie ship has less. I used the number and spacing of shrouds as closely as I could to the movie version. So overall, what I did was Model after the Movie Version, however there are some things on the Movie Version that are not historically accurate. In those cases I converted over to something that was representative of the period. I was able to keep accurate to the Movie version on the Fore and Main Masts, but you'll notice the mizzen mast on the Movie version is quite stout. There is no fighting top on the mizzen mast in the movie version.I didn't like that look so I kind of morphed the kit with the movie version to come up with something unique, yet still historically accurate. I spent a huge amount of time doing the layout.

You'll also notice I extensively modified the front end of the kit to mimic the movie Version as closely as possible. I really like the look of the bow on the Movie Version much better, but it was a ton of work. I used a lot of square tubular brass ( in 2 different sizes) in the construction and had to make bending jig, and a lot of good eyeball work. I used the brass because I wanted a lot of strength. You can literally pick up the model by any of those parts... it's that strong. Basically I made all of the parts on the bow custom just by eye using all of the online photos I could reference. I used the Movie Version as a basis because I really like the look of it, and since no one really knows what the real one looked like, I decided to go with something where I had access to a ton of online photos.

One of the things I like is the raised poop deck of the Movie Version and had a lot of fun doing that. Also the curved Gunwales were a challenge but they added a lot to the look.

Also, if you look at the way the kit is set up, you've got cannons shooting through the rigging. I set up the guns the way the movie version is set up, except I added another 2, as there are an additional 2 in a couple of shots they did, although you'd never know if you didn't look closely. The kit itself is poorly conceived, but it makes a very good basis for customizing.

So enough of the rambling, but at least you know a little more about the mindset behind my build.

It was a lot of work deciding what to do and what not to do, but the overriding factor was " is it period accurate". The kit has a lot of issues there. So read up, and don't take anything at face value, but most of all have fun.

BTW, You can always ask for help. That's what we're all here for.
antswain
#103 Posted : 27 March 2015 05:31:31

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

thanks for the info on your build I am very impressed - I have found all the builds have helped in one way or another that Ive looked at on this and other forums. Its good to learn a new subject I knew nothing about ships before starting Surprise.

planning to make a few tweaks myself and not be too rigid in my approach.
As you say I think the basic model is ok but the instructions are less than helpful

thanks again AntBigGrin
Current builds :

AL's HMS Surprise
Model Shipyards HM Cutter Mermaid
johncal
#104 Posted : 05 July 2015 00:51:10

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Here's another small update. I am still working on the Main Yard. I got pulled off of things for a couple of months and then when I got back into things, I really had to do some research to make sure I was proceeding accurately and historically.

One thing I recently found I error is that the kit instructions have the bunting / leech lines running from the Yards, down the front of the sails, up the back, through the blocks, etc. Realistically, they are supposed to be tied to the bottoms of the sails and then run up the front of the sails, through blocks on the yards, over the yards, and then to the blocks on the fighting tops, or whatever, etc.

This was especially true with the Mainsail as if the wind were to come about and pressed the sail to the mast, the only way you could raise the sail was if you could lift it from the front. If pressed against the mast, the sail could not be pulled along the mast to raise it. This is referenced in "Seamanship in the Age of Sail" and is also shown properly in "Rigging Period Ship Models". This is why you will notice I have the Bunting / Leech line Blocks facing fore on the yard.

A couple of more lines and I will rig the Sail to the yard and then install. I will attach and run all the rest of the lines after that. I just wanted to put in a quick update that showed some details in case anyone wanted it for reference.

I'm still debating exactly how I want to furl the sail as I want it to look as accurate as possible and I still want to have good deck visibility. I will probably furl the windward side as with the angle I have the yards at, if the sail were any other way it would steal the wind from the foresail.

I'm going to tie the sail to the yard accurately as well. That should be a riot! S still have to prep the mast with all of the proper blocks, etc. I took out what I had done and am re-doing it to make it more accurate.

davetwin
#105 Posted : 05 July 2015 01:48:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looks like some pretty nice work on your main yard John, I think this is going to look really special when its finished
arpurchase
#106 Posted : 05 July 2015 08:23:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Top work there JohnCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#107 Posted : 05 July 2015 10:14:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Great to see you back on the build John and displaying more of your stunning work....Drool Drool .. Very impressive....

Regards

Alan
johncal
#108 Posted : 01 August 2015 00:56:44

I was going to wait until I got the entire lower Main Yard and sail finished, but I will be delayed for a while with a Kitchen Remodeling job. So I thought I'd just show everyone how far I got.

I have the yard fully installed, but still have the sail rigging to do. I was very difficult figuring out the exact approach I wanted to take, as that is exactly how I have to finish off the 8 remaining yards and sails after this. I also have the exact sail rigging plan figured out as well, so now it simply becomes a metter of execution. On the plus side, they all start getting smaller from here ! I did do a ton of research so it's about as accurate as I'm willing to tackle at this scale.

I will post more pics as soon as I have the sail rigged. There are a whole lot of hours that went into just this little bit.

Gibbo
#109 Posted : 01 August 2015 02:31:58

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Looking at the first picture of your last post i thought i was actually looking at a photograph, and looking at some of the pics of your build you've got to remind yourself you're not actually looking at the ship, the rigging itself with no disrespect to anybody else on this forum, and i'm sure 99% will agree , is the best i've seen, amazing stuff.
Regards
Paul
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
arpurchase
#110 Posted : 01 August 2015 08:47:41

BigGrin Outstanding work JohnCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Martyn Ingram
#111 Posted : 01 August 2015 08:57:12

BigGrin Wow stunning work on the rigging John very nice Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Gandale
#112 Posted : 01 August 2015 09:53:35

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Truly remarkable work John, an inspiration to us all.... Stunning....Love Love Love

Regards

Alan
davetwin
#113 Posted : 01 August 2015 10:15:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

The more pictutes I see of people posting of rigging the more it starts to scare me, Im a long way off yet, your rigging looks so neat and clean, pretty amazing work! Cool
magpie1832
#114 Posted : 01 August 2015 11:22:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great work on the rigging. Love it.
Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

RogerThornhill
#115 Posted : 01 August 2015 18:02:29

Amazing work.
jase
#116 Posted : 01 August 2015 18:20:16

Excerlent procise work looking forward to more once the kitchen is done

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
stevie_o
#117 Posted : 01 August 2015 18:30:14

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

johncal
#118 Posted : 01 August 2015 19:32:00

Thanks Guys. I'm really humbled by the compliments.
S2ksean
#119 Posted : 20 August 2015 06:14:24

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I've been looking into doing a fully rigged ship for a while now and after seeing this build its made me decide finally to go and buy one. Il be trying (ephasis on trying) to do the same as you and copy the film version. Il be putting my order in for this at some point this week. Fantastic build.
CURRENT BUILDS

Mclaren MP4-23
Ford 1/12 Shelby Mustang GT500 2010
HMS Pandora
johncal
#120 Posted : 22 August 2015 19:37:40

Well, if you have any questions, that's what we're here for!BigGrin