Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

17 Pages «<56789>»
Movie version Surprise by Johncal Options
jonny7england
#121 Posted : 22 August 2015 19:55:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Looks terrific john!! Drool ThumpUp
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
S2ksean
#122 Posted : 28 August 2015 02:42:09

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi just a quick question. Did the movie version name plaque and emblem on the forecastle come with the kit or did you have to sort them elsewhere.
CURRENT BUILDS

Mclaren MP4-23
Ford 1/12 Shelby Mustang GT500 2010
HMS Pandora
johncal
#123 Posted : 28 August 2015 02:53:16

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

For the name plaque, i used the brass letters from the kit very carefully CA glued in place. The frame around the letters is 2 layers of vinyl decal material spray painted brass, edges hand painted, and exacto knife cut and applied wet to get proper positioning. Then the leafy details were hand painted brass color to match the frame.

The emblem on the back was accomplished by using an online photograph, squaring it up and changing contrast levels in Photoshop and then printing it on white inkjet decal material. After installation i brush painted around the edges to blend the decal in.

As you can see, it was no walk in the park. Took quite a while but the results are OK. Anyways that's how i did it.

S2ksean
#124 Posted : 28 August 2015 05:02:08

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Worth the effort cause it looks amazing. Thank you for letting us now I gotta try this myself lol
CURRENT BUILDS

Mclaren MP4-23
Ford 1/12 Shelby Mustang GT500 2010
HMS Pandora
johncal
#125 Posted : 09 January 2016 23:22:54

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hey guys,

After a 4 month hiatus, I'm back at it. Just insanely busy!

Today I installed the bunt lines on the Mainsail. For those of you doing the sails and running rigging, I thought I'd throw a few pics up on the board. As mentioned before the proper way to run the bunt lines is on the front side of the sails NOT on the back. There can be a lot of confusion on that one.

Also, as a hint, once I run the bunt lines from the edges of the sails and through the first pulleys (the ones on the yards), I C/A glue them into the pulleys. This way I can just have them slack across the sails, but I can keep the rest of the lines tight through the balance of the pulleys and all the way down. It makes for a neater appearance and you don't have to worry that every time you touch one of those lines that it will pull up on your sails and mess everything up.

Still a ways to go on this sail, but once I get it done, I will have my technique and methodology for the remaining sails all figured out. Better to take the time on the first one and figure it out right. Then I have a good example to copy from!

Gandale
#126 Posted : 10 January 2016 00:20:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Great to see you back up and running with this one John, excellent work as usual and such a beautiful build....Drool Drool .. Very well done, look forward to your next update...

Regards

Alan
magpie1832
#127 Posted : 10 January 2016 09:46:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great looking build. Absolutely stunning. I do think the home made rope looks awesome. Looking forward to the next pics mate.

Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Martyn Ingram
#128 Posted : 10 January 2016 09:46:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Stunning work as always John looking forward to the next update Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
arpurchase
#129 Posted : 10 January 2016 10:09:49

BigGrin Nice to see your back on the old girl and top work as alwaysCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

delboy271155
#130 Posted : 10 January 2016 13:13:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Stunning work John and some great close-ups of the detail.

A fine example of the HMS Surprise. Will be following your diary when I get round to building mine. (In Stash at moment).

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

johncal
#131 Posted : 10 January 2016 22:19:09

Today I installed the Tack, Sheet, and Clue lines. All and all it was around 5 hours worth of work. Those damn little blocks are a lot of work!

One of the hardest things was figuring out where to put the Tack and Sheet lines through the hull. I wanted to find something that would work, be realistic, and miss the cannons (just a wee tad important).

One of the things I do to shoot for more realism on the build is this: when you run a line through a block, if there's not a lot of tension on it, it has a tendency to loop and not bend sharply through the block due to the stiffness of the line. What I do is put a small drop of C/A glue on the line at each side of the block and squeeze with pliers, and then just bend it around a little until it looks right. It gives the illusion of a more flexible rope and a perceived greater tension on the lines than is in fact taking place.

Here's pics of todays work. I'm putting up a lot of pics right now because there is not a lot of info out there on this and it might be helpful.

Probably it for the next week or so.

birdaj2
#132 Posted : 10 January 2016 23:33:53

Lovely build you have there.

Been considering this one when my D51 sub ends but not sure if will be too late by then and the kit no longer available.

Look forward to your next update
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
johncal
#133 Posted : 23 February 2016 00:02:07

Well, the Worlds Biggest Slacker is back, with just a little more work.

I finished the Bowlines on the Mainsail. I know the pictures I posted are a little blurry but I just used the cellphone to get something up here. Now that I have finished this sail, I have a good blueprint now to do all of the other sails.

Now there's not a lot of thinking to do for the next while, just a LOT of doing! It took me a while to do these bowlines, as I wanted to make sure I had them accurate. It's nice when you do it accurately, as you can really see and feel how things actually worked on these ships. I'm having a great time with my self taught History Lesson.

Gandale
#134 Posted : 23 February 2016 00:22:08

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Stunning work again, a truly stunning build.....Love Love

Regards

Alan
mark 2
#135 Posted : 23 February 2016 07:42:04

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi John BigGrin .
Absolutely stunning work Love Drool Drool .
Work of the highest order.
Best regards.
Mark
Martyn Ingram
#136 Posted : 23 February 2016 08:23:38

BigGrin Wow absolutely brilliant work Cool well done Love

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
antswain
#137 Posted : 24 February 2016 23:50:58

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

fantastic ship and brilliant build been experimenting with the ropewalk myself
and starting to get quite pleasing results keep the pics comming i know they will help a lot of us Surprise builders out there

AntBigGrin
Current builds :

AL's HMS Surprise
Model Shipyards HM Cutter Mermaid
magpie1832
#138 Posted : 25 February 2016 08:56:47

Your doing a mighty fine job. The rigging plans are not the greatest but with a good rigging book and plenty of pics it's quite acheivable to get it accurate. Which you seem to be doing.
Great work
Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

johncal
#139 Posted : 26 February 2016 01:19:33

How the real one was rigged or how many ways the real one was rigged no one will ever know, but if the rigging works and it's period accurate that's all you can realistically hope for!
johncal
#140 Posted : 26 February 2016 01:20:43

antswain wrote:
fantastic ship and brilliant build been experimenting with the ropewalk myself
and starting to get quite pleasing results keep the pics comming i know they will help a lot of us Surprise builders out there

AntBigGrin

As you know, I'm doing everything with synthetic. What type of thread are you using? Any pics?