Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

17 Pages «<678910>»
Movie version Surprise by Johncal Options
johncal
#141 Posted : 08 May 2016 17:12:41

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi Guys,

It's been a while but I've been quite busy with a lot of things lately. I finally got a chance to get back on the project and have a little more info to share.

I have the Lower Foreyard completed and have just starting installing it on the Foremast. I will post pics when I get that done. The prep on the Foreyard was almost identical to the Main Yard, but the running rigging will be totally different. Of course none of the rigging will work as either the kit instructions or the Period Shipp Rigging book instruct, but between those two, all my Surprise Photos and a bit of creativity, I believe I will find a satisfactory solution.

I will keep you posted, but here are a couple of photos to show my progress.

Gandale
#142 Posted : 08 May 2016 19:30:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Stunning work, looks fabulous....

Regards

Alan
ian smith
#143 Posted : 08 May 2016 22:15:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking very neat and tidy. Look forward to seeing your progress.
Regards Ian
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
johncal
#144 Posted : 04 June 2016 15:59:46

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hey Guys,

I just finished the Lower Foresail so I thought I'd put up a bunch of pics so you could see how I did it. It was a little challenging getting it to fit in there and to get the billowing of the sail right, but I'm pretty happy with the results.

Next up will be the Bow Sail. That should be interesting and fun to do. I've got plenty of info on how to rig it, so it shouldn't be too bad. The toughest part will be rigging all the lines, as it is really getting crowded with all the lines running through that area. But at least once I get it done, I'll be out of there!

I'll throw more pictures up after this once I get it done so it could be a while. I'm planning on 40-50 hours for that one. The Lower Foresail was just under 40 hours to complete.

delboy271155
#145 Posted : 04 June 2016 16:56:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

This is looking good.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

BarryM
#146 Posted : 04 June 2016 17:03:34

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Only one word...."OUTSTANDING"

Barry
There's no time like the present.....
Gandale
#147 Posted : 04 June 2016 21:06:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

An amazing build that just keeps improving with every post..... Brill....

Regards

Alan
johncal
#148 Posted : 04 June 2016 21:17:16

Thanks Guys!

Here's the links to My first and second build logs.

I'm adding part 2, Standing Rigging.

https://www.dropbox.com/...rt%201%20HULL.docx?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/...ING%20RIGGING.docx?dl=0

jonny7england
#149 Posted : 05 June 2016 09:34:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Ohhh...What a Cracker!! Brilliant job done there...Superb!!
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
antswain
#150 Posted : 11 June 2016 07:53:36

Magnificent ! Truly outstanding work
Current builds :

AL's HMS Surprise
Model Shipyards HM Cutter Mermaid
magpie1832
#151 Posted : 11 June 2016 09:05:46

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Amazing. You certainly have plenty of patience. Your rigging is absolutely stunning.
Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Gibbo
#152 Posted : 11 June 2016 09:25:53

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

An absolute stunner of a ship.
Regards
Paul
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
johncal
#153 Posted : 28 June 2016 01:23:14

Hey Guys,

Got the Spritsail done so I thought I'd post a bunch of related pics. There's not a lot out there so at least this might help as a reference on what to do (or what to avoid)!

I had to do a lot of research to come up with something that was going to work. I had to meld the Movie Version with something a little more historical and yet make it fully functional.

I made the pics a little bit bigger than usual, but I wanted the detail to be viewable.

If I ever get this bad boy done, I'm going to get out the good camera and spend a couple of days taking really good shots.

Nemesis
#154 Posted : 28 June 2016 10:21:50

Your attention to detail is fantastic, with the right background you wouldn't know this was a model! Outstanding.
BarryM
#155 Posted : 28 June 2016 13:45:18

The more pictures I see of your ship the more I'm in awe..the details are above and beyond the grasp of mere mortals like myself..awesome.

Just a quick question..how did you determine the position of the waterline on the hull, can you give me an approximate datum point somewhere on the hull?

Thanks,

Barry
johncal
#156 Posted : 28 June 2016 15:36:37

BarryM wrote:
The more pictures I see of your ship the more I'm in awe..the details are above and beyond the grasp of mere mortals like myself..awesome.

Just a quick question..how did you determine the position of the waterline on the hull, can you give me an approximate datum point somewhere on the hull?

Thanks,

Barry

I determined the height by carefully examining photos paying attention especially to the rudder area on the Movie Version of the ship. Then I set a block of wood at the proper height with a drilled hole for a pencil and dragged the block of wood and pencil around the model as it sat on the stand. The ship must be perfectly level on the stand.

Then I ran pin stripping tape at that pencil point to check the work and made corrections as necessary.
BarryM
#157 Posted : 28 June 2016 19:14:54

Think this one might work...

delboy271155
#158 Posted : 28 June 2016 19:55:46

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

That`s a good indication to the water line.

Only one thing though, that must be the GT version with the prop.LOL

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Gandale
#159 Posted : 28 June 2016 23:04:21

Simply fabulous....

Regards

Alan
johncal
#160 Posted : 29 June 2016 00:00:51

Just a little more work up front. Adds a little to the authenticity.