Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

17 Pages «<7891011>»
Movie version Surprise by Johncal Options
magpie1832
#161 Posted : 29 June 2016 08:30:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Stunning work Johncal.
Every update gets better and better.
Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

johncal
#162 Posted : 04 July 2016 17:28:06

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hey Guys,

I just finished the Mizzen Topsail over the Holidays and wanted to take the opportunity of some time off of work to make some progress. It might be a while before I get the Main Topsail done, so I wanted to post some pics of the Mizzen Topsail to show some of the details.

One of the interesting things was trying to keep to the Spirit of the Movie Version of the Ship and yet keep good historical accuracy in the build. I had to get pretty creative in some of my tie off points, but the bigger thing here is that everything works accurately. Everything was fully functional before being tied and glued into place, as has been the case with all of the previous rigging on this build.

One of the things I have had to do is do a lot of research and see all of the places a particular line might be tied down or how blocks and lines may have been run. Once I've done that, I can choose something that will work and not look out of place. I do place a lot of emphasis on how the Movie Version was rigged and will follow that unless what they did was not accurate or if I can't make it fit properly due to the differences between the build and the Movie Version. In that case I go with what seems to flow better and make more sense.

I also showed some of the tie down points are how they are starting to fill up. In most cases all of the lines are clipped off and later I will add coils when all the lines are run. I will also base the size of each coil on how much rope would have been needed for the line to work right. While it may not be as pretty this way, it will be a lot more realistic.

Martyn Ingram
#163 Posted : 04 July 2016 17:49:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Stunning work John looking brilliant

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
ian smith
#164 Posted : 04 July 2016 22:14:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi John.
Fantastic looking build. very nice clean work.
Ian
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
Gibbo
#165 Posted : 05 July 2016 10:26:48

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

An absolute stunner john.
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
BarryM
#166 Posted : 05 July 2016 11:01:33

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Speechless......

I watched the movie again the other night...they wouldn't have had any problems using your model for the special effects.

Barry
There's no time like the present.....
davetwin
#167 Posted : 05 July 2016 17:17:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Fantastic work and attention to detail John. Awesome pictures too, keep the pictures coming
johncal
#168 Posted : 05 July 2016 17:43:19

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thanks for the compliments guys. I've been working very hard to do my best. I am really looking forward to getting the sails done so I can get to the fun part, detail work. I'm going to add the binnacle cabinet and a few crewman here and there along with some additional weathering and other touches. I also watched the movie again yesterday and saw a few details I missed, so I will have to work on them.

I just can't wait to get these sails done. They're driving me nuts. Just too much of the same thing. I sure am learning patience and diligence though! It will really be a lot of fun to do all the detailing and tweaking. Also, I have some really great plans for the cabinet. I am expecting it to be very expensive but then I spent a lot of money on this anyways and want a good safe way to display it. I am planning both day and moonlight lighting for it. That will be s lot of fun to design as well. I want the cabinet to be very antique looking to go with the period.
johncal
#169 Posted : 17 July 2016 21:08:33

I'll tell you, I hate when you type in something for 15 minutes and then delete it all by mistake. What a pain in the ass.

Anyways, I'll try again........... I finished the Main Topsail today so I have lots of photos in case they might be helpful to someone. Everything turned out great but there were a lot of necessary workarounds to be done. About a third of the lines had to be run to alternate locations as the Movie Version of the ship really throws some serious kinks into the layout.

You may notice that it's getting really crowded up there running all of the lines. I am very happy that I used the synthetic thread to make my ropes as everything is so strong and durable, I can just shove things out of the way to get in there and not have any worry whatsoever about anything breaking or stretching. To any of you guys that are thinking about making ropes, I can only encourage you in the strongest terms to do so. You'll have to make or purchase a powered ropewalk, but it is so worth it.

The Fore Topsail is next, but I am going to take a well deserved short break before continuing. I am actually starting to make some serious progress right now and I could possibly be done within the next year. But..... there there's the display case. I have some big plans for that. I know it's probably just me, but I never could understand putting so much effort into something and then leaving it out in the open for the cat to attack!

Unfortunately, All of the Topgallant Sails are going to need to have the bottoms cut off anywhere from 1" to 1-1/2". I guess when you go off script like I did you have to expect to deal with things like that. I'm glad I have a good sewing machine and the proper color thread. Just one more pain in the butt thing I will have to deal with.

nightwisher
#170 Posted : 17 July 2016 21:52:19

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice work john, this must be one of the best rigging jobs I've seen on this or any other forum.Those ropes look very real, may invest in a ropewalk before my next tall ship.
Man he took his time in the sun
Had a dream to understand
A single grain of sand
He gave birth to poetry
But one day will cease to be
Greet the last light of the library...We were here!
Gandale
#171 Posted : 17 July 2016 22:52:46

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Nothing less that outstanding work John, pleasure to see....

Regards

Alan
magpie1832
#172 Posted : 18 July 2016 08:08:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Stunning work. I have previously looked at ropewalks but thats was it. After seeing your rigging progress it is something that might be more an essential.

Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Martyn Ingram
#173 Posted : 18 July 2016 08:11:50

Wow some of the best rigging I have ever seen. I have ordered a ropewalk for my next build:) . Just got to learn how to use it lol

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
johncal
#174 Posted : 23 July 2016 01:24:16

Martyn Ingram wrote:
Wow some of the best rigging I have ever seen. I have ordered a ropewalk for my next build:) . Just got to learn how to use it lol

Rgd Martyn

I don't know what you bought, but if you look on page 3 of my log, you can see what I did. I bought the Amati Rope Walk 7390 "Simple Rope Walk" kit and used it only for the plastic gears and the wood parts to use as templates for the plastic parts and steel shafts and set screw collars I bought. With the kit and the parts I bought, it wound up costing under $100.

The original is all wood with a hand crank, if it actually would hold up after making more than 3 ropes (which it didn't), you'd grow a beard because it's so slow. I run a cordless drill on mine, and it is super fast, and I have no wear on it at all.

If yours is different, I'd be curious to see how it works. This particular kind I like because I don't need to use the bobbin. That's why they call it simple. And the ropes are every bit as good as the old school set-up.
delboy271155
#175 Posted : 23 July 2016 05:47:52

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

"Work of art" or "Labour of Love"

Call it what you will, this is one stunning build.

The attention to detail and quality of workmanship is tops.

WTG

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Martyn Ingram
#176 Posted : 23 July 2016 08:06:05

Hi John I have bought the same one as it was on special offer. It should turn up today so will have a look at it and mite change it to how you have done it. Thanks for the info.

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Next Build ?
ModelMania
#177 Posted : 23 July 2016 10:40:20

Groups:

There are people who make models and their are model-making craftsmen - you are at the top end of the latter John. You display great skill in your work and to my eye it looks absolutely faultless, difficult to do anything better.

Very well done indeed, one of the best ship models I've seen in many years!!

Kev
Nemesis
#178 Posted : 23 July 2016 11:40:24

Simply stunning, that is beyond museum quality!!
birdaj2
#179 Posted : 23 July 2016 12:02:12

A beautiful build indeed.

This ship has to be my favourite of all the offerings and i may be tempted once my D51 sub ends.

Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
johncal
#180 Posted : 23 July 2016 18:38:51

Here is a really good and I think important article on rigging.......

http://www.jans-sajt.se/...ing/Themes_Belayings.htm