Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

First modelling steps Options
Damo490
#1 Posted : 06 April 2013 10:06:42

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Just thought I'd Share my very first modelling experience. I lost track of time so it was at least an hour or maybe more this afternoon putting together parts I got a week ago?!!!!! Cursing suppose it makes it last longer between delivery's if can't find the time to do it.

Looks worse than kids on Christmas day, very organised LOL but the tool box helped make sure I didn't lose any screws.

They are the finished product. Things are looking good. Still have all the front aero parts to put on and I'm not sure about the glue. I just used automotive superglue for the rear wing parts and it worked fine but I'm not sure what to use for the smaller parts of the front wing. any suggestions would be great. Hope everyone is having as much fun as I am putting theirs together.
New modeller trying his hand at an RB7
RazorSnakes
#2 Posted : 06 April 2013 10:16:43

I didn't use any glue on the rear wingBlink

With the aero parts I'll say this, be VERY careful when cutting them off the spindle, as I managed to snap the wing stay (but fixed it) it's a pain to fix!

Looks good so far though :D
Building:

McLaren MP4-23

2 X Red Bull RB7
Damo490
#3 Posted : 06 April 2013 10:28:13

RazorSnakes wrote:

With the aero parts I'll say this, be VERY careful when cutting them off the spindle, as I managed to snap the wing stay (but fixed it) it's a pain to fix!

Glue on the backing plate to the mid wing or whatever it was and glue on the wing adjuster.
that was my other concern too, trying to get the aero parts without damaging them. Sharp scissors or do I need to go out and get model scissors before I attempt this?
New modeller trying his hand at an RB7
arpurchase
#4 Posted : 06 April 2013 10:54:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Damo480
What I generaly do is to cut the sprue with a small snipper plyer as far away from the part as possible say 3 to 5 mm then carefully trim back to the part with a sharp knife. You could invest in the correct sissors but I have never found the need for them. Hope this helps
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

RazorSnakes
#5 Posted : 06 April 2013 11:33:39

Ahh yes! On the DRS adjuster & the backing plate, my badLOL
Building:

McLaren MP4-23

2 X Red Bull RB7
Tomick
#6 Posted : 06 April 2013 11:44:58

Groups:

Damo, if you can find a glue that is suited to ABS plastic, then you will find this works great on the smaller parts. But be very carful with its application, as it will damage any area or paintwork that is inadvertantly applied to or splashed.
MWG
#7 Posted : 06 April 2013 12:14:37

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

RazorSnakes wrote:

Hi Mike,I see you have your parts, are you posting your build in your build Diary?
I hope my parts come to day

Kind regards

Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

RazorSnakes
#8 Posted : 07 April 2013 11:09:14

Cheers for the reminder matey :D
Building:

McLaren MP4-23

2 X Red Bull RB7