Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages 123>
AK's Samurai Armour Build Options
court orchard
#1 Posted : 12 April 2013 21:04:16

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Someone has to be 1st and it's going to be meLOL LOL
I really liked the look of this as it's something really different and something I can hopefully share with my son, who is much taken by Oriental Martial Arts and Mayhem. In fact he is grading for his Black Belt in Tae-Kwondo in a couple of months.
Even the Wife was impressed, so this one may even get to visit the living room. There have been a lot of extras offered for this, I presume in Japan, including a Katana. So I hope we may get some here too, hint, hint, nudge, nudgeWink
Andy

Building:Samurai Armour, SOTS, Victory X-Section, Bismarck, D51
Finished:WW I Bavarian NCO, Caldercraft HM Bark Endeavour FFG 58 Samuel B Roberts,
court orchard
#2 Posted : 13 April 2013 14:30:05

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Here's the man Date Masamune.

Andy

Finished:WW I Bavarian NCO, Caldercraft HM Bark Endeavour FFG 58 Samuel B Roberts,
Tomick
#3 Posted : 13 April 2013 14:55:58

Groups:

Nice find Andy Cool
SennaMentalMe
#4 Posted : 13 April 2013 15:13:04

Groups:

Crikey ... look at his face, he doesn't look a happy chappy does he? LOL LOL LOL

I reckon another Samurai has just chopped up his favourite puppy!!! LOL LOL Blink Blink

Good luck with the build Andy!! ThumpUp

Kev BigGrin
court orchard
#5 Posted : 13 April 2013 16:25:46

SennaMentalMe wrote:
Crikey ... look at his face, he doesn't look a happy chappy does he? LOL LOL LOL

I reckon another Samurai has just chopped up his favourite puppy!!! LOL LOL Blink Blink

Good luck with the build Andy!! ThumpUp

Kev BigGrin

Thanks Kev.
It's his 'don't mess with me, I'm a Samurai' look.LOL
Andy

Plymouth57
#6 Posted : 20 April 2013 12:50:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Andy.

I'll wager he's thinking "I bet in a few hundred years somebody will make a mint out of copying my brill armour and I won't get a flaming single yen out of it!!"

Will watch your build with great interest!

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
court orchard
#7 Posted : 20 April 2013 13:05:59

Plymouth57 wrote:
Hi Andy.

I'll wager he's thinking "I bet in a few hundred years somebody will make a mint out of copying my brill armour and I won't get a flaming single yen out of it!!"

Will watch your build with great interest!

Robin

LOL LOL Like it.
Andy

Tomick
#8 Posted : 20 April 2013 13:07:58

Groups:

You'll certainly appreciate the amount of work invloved in creating the real thing, the amount of lacing and chainmail making is awesome..
court orchard
#9 Posted : 20 April 2013 17:55:14

Masamune Date replica underwearBored Blink LOL LOL
Bit more expensive than my usual M&S pack of 3.

http://www.japantrendshop.com/s...rai-underwear-p-667.html
Andy

court orchard
#10 Posted : 03 May 2013 12:10:24

He's got his own Museum.
http://www.date-masamune.jp/english/p2.html

Also, just bought this, has quite a lot on Date Masamune, plus his contemporaries.
http://www.ospreypublishing.com...rs-%282%29_9781841767444
Andy

court orchard
#11 Posted : 14 May 2013 10:32:38

Now showing on my Account as dispatching tomorrow 15th MayBigGrin
Andy

court orchard
#12 Posted : 18 May 2013 11:09:53

Look what the Postman delivered todayBigGrin BigGrin Love Love

Initial impressions are, very well packaged and very good quality parts.
Unfortunately I have to work today so it will have to stay in it's packingCrying Glare

Andy

court orchard
#13 Posted : 18 May 2013 11:42:56

A couple of extra observations;
The Parts are both Heavier and much more Solid than I expected. So this is going to be a very Weighty Model when finished. The Front Cuirass Plate alone weighs over 260g. The couple of parts I have removed have a really well made feel to them.

My Part One had been opened and resealed (and not very well at that). It looks like the reason for this was to remove the little tube of PVA Glue which is shown in the parts list and photo and was missing from it's little recessConfused. Not that it really matters as it didn't look like it would go very far, it's just slightly odd that someone would go to the trouble of doing it. Although I have heard that The Royal Mail are getting strict about shipping liquids etc.
Andy

arpurchase
#14 Posted : 18 May 2013 11:51:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Andy
The same thing happened with the Akagi, I think it has something to do with the H&S regulations on importing and exporting noxtious substances , not that PVA is in any way harmfull. Hope this helps
regards
AndyCool

PS Good luck with the buildBigGrin
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

court orchard
#15 Posted : 18 May 2013 12:00:49

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Hi Andy
The same thing happened with the Akagi, I think it has something to do with the H&S regulations on importing and exporting noxtious substances , not that PVA is in any way harmfull. Hope this helps
regards
AndyCool

PS Good luck with the buildBigGrin

Thanks Andy, that would explain it.

Good luck with your build as well.
I'm certainly delighted with the quality, look and feel of the parts. It's going to look stunning with all that Mirror Finish Black.

P.S. According to my Account this dispatched on Wednesday, whereas the D51 didn't ship until Friday, so I'm not expecting that until Tuesday or Wednesday next week.
Andy

court orchard
#16 Posted : 18 May 2013 12:25:31

OK I spoke too soonCrying Crying

There appears to be a major problem with the Front Main Cuirass Plate, when I peeled back the protective coating there appeared to be a second layer of plastic which was peeling off on one side. At first I thought this was a second removable layer, but on closer inspection it appears that the metal is plastic coated to give it it's shine, and on this part it is seriously peeling away. This is happening on two edges and over a large area on one edge. Obviously I'm going to have to get a replacement, but having waited over 5 weeks for these I am not happy over what will probably be another long wait.
Very disappointedAngry Angry Crying Crying

Andy

Tomick
#17 Posted : 18 May 2013 12:53:20

Groups:

court orchard wrote:
A couple of extra observations;
The Parts are both Heavier and much more Solid than I expected. So this is going to be a very Weighty Model when finished. The Front Cuirass Plate alone weighs over 260g. The couple of parts I have removed have a really well made feel to them.

My Part One had been opened and resealed (and not very well at that). It looks like the reason for this was to remove the little tube of PVA Glue which is shown in the parts list and photo and was missing from it's little recessConfused. Not that it really matters as it didn't look like it would go very far, it's just slightly odd that someone would go to the trouble of doing it. Although I have heard that The Royal Mail are getting strict about shipping liquids etc.

The glue has been purposely removed.
Tomick
#18 Posted : 18 May 2013 12:54:57

Groups:

court orchard wrote:

There appears to be a major problem with the Front Main Cuirass Plate, when I peeled back the protective coating there appeared to be a second layer of plastic which was peeling off on one side. At first I thought this was a second removable layer, but on closer inspection it appears that the metal is plastic coated to give it it's shine, and on this part it is seriously peeling away. This is happening on two edges and over a large area on one edge. Obviously I'm going to have to get a replacement, but having waited over 5 weeks for these I am not happy over what will probably be another long wait.

Disappointed for you Andy, I'll speak with Admin to see if we can speed up a replacement.
court orchard
#19 Posted : 18 May 2013 13:32:50

Tomick wrote:
court orchard wrote:

Disappointed for you Andy, I'll speak with Admin to see if we can speed up a replacement.

Thanks Mr T, for your very prompt response.
Does that mean I don't need to contact Customer Services, for the moment?
Andy

Tomick
#20 Posted : 18 May 2013 13:48:58

Groups:

No need to contact C/S. I've put it under the nose of Admin, but can you PM Admin with your account detail for your Samurai so that you account can be pinpointed.