Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages 123>»
Artestania Latina's SanFrancisco II by Karl. Options
karl1113
#1 Posted : 25 April 2013 15:34:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Having looked at this ship for 3 years now, and watching magpie building this lovely galleon, I promised myself one day I would build this as a filler and rest stop from the bigger projects. I decided to buy the full kit,didn't want the problems associated with the split deliveries. As so many are doing this kit at the moment, it will be a little different from the norm. studying the plans/instructions some of the alterations will have to be done before the bulkheads are glued in, like planking all the decks first before installing, and also the ply sides will have the inner bulwarks fitted before they are glued. so heres a few more pics of the kit.
karl1113 attached the following image(s):
IMG_0691.JPG
IMG_0693.JPG
IMG_0694.JPG
IMG_0695.JPG
IMG_0696.JPG
IMG_0698.JPG
IMG_0699.JPG
IMG_0700.JPG
IMG_0701.JPG
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
Gandale
#2 Posted : 25 April 2013 15:44:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Welcome to the build Karl, think she is a lovely little kit.... Look forward to seeing what you do with this little gem.... BigGrin BigGrin .. Nice start..... BigGrin

Regards

Alan
Tomick
#3 Posted : 25 April 2013 15:50:40

Groups:

Seem's like the San Fran is a popular ship and nice to have a full set of parts to hand Cool
karl1113
#4 Posted : 25 April 2013 19:57:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

your quite right, it is a little gem. this is very nicely boxed kit, of outstanding quality, and would recommend this to a beginner as well as experts. I needed a break from the caldercraft vic, so I decided on this one. at the moment everything is dry fitted,and will be for some time, as their is a lot of the work can be done this way, be more pic tomorrow. k.
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

MWG
#5 Posted : 25 April 2013 20:25:36

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

karl1113 wrote:
your quite right, it is a little gem. this is very nicely boxed kit, of outstanding quality, and would recommend this to a beginner as well as experts. I needed a break from the caldercraft vic, so I decided on this one. at the moment everything is dry fitted,and will be for some time, as their is a lot of the work can be done this way, be more pic tomorrow. k.

Karl I think you have posted this build in the wrong place?

Cheers Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

jase
#6 Posted : 25 April 2013 20:36:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi karl nice to see you building this too. looking forward to seeing how you approach this.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
karl1113
#7 Posted : 26 April 2013 14:30:01

that's all the decks planked, I used 4x.05mm basswood(lime) with .25mm. black thread for the caulking. just the tree nailing to do now, so before I start gluing the ribs I'm going to bevel the bow and stern ribs then glue.

IMG_0702.JPG
IMG_0704.JPG

jase
#8 Posted : 26 April 2013 20:12:42

Looking good Karl
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
delboy271155
#9 Posted : 26 April 2013 20:39:57

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Karl,BigGrin
Looks like a good complete kit and if the price is right, I can see your reason for buying it as a full kit.
That said, as befits your expertise a darn good start,Cool Cool .

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

karl1113
#10 Posted : 26 April 2013 22:49:57

`.thank you jase and derek, jase hows yours getting on,?? yes derek I think it is good value, and well detailed, and brass cannons too. k.

karl1113
#11 Posted : 27 April 2013 12:27:36

ok so the tree nailing is done, used a pin for the holes and then pencil to colour the holes. fared the bow formers, now gluing the decks. clinker faced the partitions.
IMG_0705.JPG
IMG_0706.JPG
IMG_0707.JPG

Gandale
#12 Posted : 27 April 2013 12:50:02

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Nicely done Karl... Cool

Regards

Alan
jase
#13 Posted : 27 April 2013 13:06:48

Planking the deck first has worked really wellThumpUp

Mine is on a go slow as its an in between job at the momentBigGrin
-Mark Twain
magpie1832
#14 Posted : 27 April 2013 14:45:41

Looking good Karl,
One thing to watch on the sanfran is it has a habit of twisting and bending. Keep the planks even both sides and you should keep it straight..
Chris..
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Martyn Ingram
#15 Posted : 27 April 2013 15:31:35

BigGrin Love the build KarlThumpUp Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
karl1113
#16 Posted : 27 April 2013 17:12:34

many thanks gents for the kind comments, yes chris have spotted that already,the first baulkhead already warped after I glued it, that's why the clamps were on it in the pics.

karl1113
#17 Posted : 28 April 2013 10:48:42

The next series of pics shows that I have not quite keep to the order of play,first of all I have to admit I made a couple of mistakes, yes I do make mistakes, after all I am an old git, and still should READ the instruction instead of just looking at the pictures,(gives self slap on the wrist) the first mistake was the mahogany surround on the focastle, I used the 5x5mm instead of the 5mm.x .05mm. and then had to remove the 5mm. of planking from the edges of the other 2 decks in order to glue the strips on those. next stage was to add the ply sides, this is where I found my first bad bit of wood, the ply on the portside was starting to delaminate, not a great problem as I just superglued them back together. the next bit was slightly out of order of building, I added the 2x2mm. strips to the first ply side while that side was accessible.
IMG_0708.JPG
IMG_0709.JPG
IMG_0711.JPG
IMG_0712.JPG

magpie1832
#18 Posted : 28 April 2013 12:49:08

Hi Karl.
Quick tip. On the front where you have put the ply bulwarks the small piece that sticks up on the top deck it snaps off easily. I snapped mine twice and I not sure but I think mikes did(not sure I know it was another build).
Chris...
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

karl1113
#19 Posted : 28 April 2013 13:17:33

thanks for the tip chris,I remembered that happened to a couple of builders. I coated that area with superglue gel on both sides, I hope that works, will let you know.

karl1113
#20 Posted : 29 April 2013 08:52:37

IMG_0713.JPG