Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Last part of the keel Options
John Wreford
#1 Posted : 02 June 2010 14:51:30

Groups: Registered

Tomick's latest entry in the official build diary is for issue 10 and shows the last part of the keel.

Looks like we can all fairly soon get started in earnest!

John
snowtiger
#2 Posted : 02 June 2010 14:56:30

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Yep John ....i can hardly wait ....once that part arrives we can serously get cracking....BigGrin BigGrin
Capt Stedders
#3 Posted : 02 June 2010 15:03:00

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Yup.

I'm glad we got started on the launch when we did - I don't know about the rest of you, but I like these little 'detail builds' as they keep the sense of involvement in the project going while feeding us bits that we can't do much with until we have collected them all (in this instance, hull formers and keel/ bow parts).

The launch also served as a gentle, breaking-in device to some of the techniques I suspect that we'll be using later in a small, bite-size package.

Schnellboots on back burner

Tools.

Mike Turpin
#4 Posted : 02 June 2010 16:01:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month

Capt Stedders wrote:
Yup.

The launch also served as a gentle, breaking-in device to some of the techniques I suspect that we'll be using later in a small, bite-size package.

Couldn't agree more Capt.

That was the point that I made when the inclusion of the launch was first announced back in March(?). I found that was the case when I was doing HMAV Bounty, the only model I can claim to have finished so far is the Bounty launch!!

Some of the techniques from this launch will need scaling up, such as bending the planks will be more of a challenge, I suspect. However the basic principles of shaping the planks and fairing the ribs will remain the same.

At the moment I am looking at the challenge of the 68 pdr carronade and aiming for a realistic and threatening weapon system!

Will post more on that when I can.

Mike T
Snorbitz
#5 Posted : 04 June 2010 14:33:35

Capt Stedders wrote:
Yup.

I think I need a little gently breaking-in, This will be my first build and I am wondering what I have let myself in for. Mind you if it goes wrong i'll blame the wife. Blink
If it ain't broke, don't fix it
Victory Build Log http://modelshipworld.co...p?t=12467&highlight=
jase
#6 Posted : 07 June 2010 19:09:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

LOL yes i got married for the same reason, i have not done a thing wrong since where as she is a total clot
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
snowtiger
#7 Posted : 07 June 2010 22:50:46

jase wrote:
LOL yes i got married for the same reason, i have not done a thing wrong since where as she is a total clot
LOL LOL

My wife does not blame me for anything.......Just everything..LOL LOL LOL
Tomick
#8 Posted : 11 June 2010 21:20:44

Groups:

Very important guys n gals.......Blink

Don't do any shaping to the keel along its full length (including at the bow)!

The way the model is planked leaves the width of the keel exposed along its entire length, so that later on an external keel can be added to what should be a flat contact edge of the already installed keel, obviously when the time comes the hull frames will be chamfered to suit the lie of planking along the hull.
jeff averre
#9 Posted : 09 July 2010 01:34:02

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Tomick wrote:
Very important guys n gals.......Blink

Don't do any shaping to the keel along its full length (including at the bow)!

The way the model is planked leaves the width of the keel exposed along its entire length, so that later on an external keel can be added to what should be a flat contact edge of the already installed keel, obviously when the time comes the hull frames will be chamfered to suit the lie of planking along the hull.

Believe it or not I've had this on my mind for week's, I assumed that the planking would 'but-up' against the keel, but when placing the Rib Frames I noticed that they come level or over the base of the keel, it seems a shame to me that I will have to shave off quite a bit of wood and alter the smooth flowing lines of all the Rib Frames, you would think with the accurate cutting of the parts it would have been possible to have extra on the keel to avoid this.
I'm not bothered about the extra work, just worried about altering the shape of the Rib Frames!Blink
Tomick
#10 Posted : 09 July 2010 09:22:59

Groups:

Planking will butt up to the real keel not the false keel, in effect a slot the width of the real keel is left along the length of the hull, this is so that the real keel can drop into the slot and therefore the planking will butt up to the real keel, you will not need to alter frames.
Lonestar Spirit
#11 Posted : 09 July 2010 10:46:35

An old saying I was taught while training as a joiner

A poor craftsman blames his tools, while a good craftsman blames the materials BigGrin

I personally wont be doing any sanding to the hull until we are ready to start the majority of planking, I know this would mean having to wait longer to start, but at least then you can have a good read about what's involved before you commit yourself to the task, especially if you have never attempted a plank on hull before.
Ship Builds on the go

Yamato - DeAgostini Subscription - Highly Recommend This Model
AKAGI - DeAgostini Subscription - Highly Recommend This Model
RMS Titanic Lifeboat (Kind Gift from DeAgostini Crew)
jeff averre
#12 Posted : 09 July 2010 15:58:44

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

you are dead right! I wont be doing anything until I see what 'Tomick' is doing, I was just looking to busy myself as I have all the hull formers in place (not glued), and deck supports all level.
You know what they say, "the devil makes work for idle hands"
Cursing Bored