Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Woodworm Protection Options
Captain David
#1 Posted : 09 May 2013 09:38:51

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Does anyone else protect their wooden models with Cuprinol?
I just got my parts out ready for assembling the keel/ribs/deck on my SOTS build. Expecting the deck to arrive today.
Looking at the underside of the false keel, there are a few holes in the ply edge.
Now, they may be voids in the ply and nothing to worry about - but I did not notice them before I stored the keel away.
As I have not pushed any pins into the edges, I am suspicious of about 4 pinholes and a longer hole that looks suspiciously like a woodworm emergence tunnel.
If the pinholes are where it has laid its eggs, then I will be building in some woodworm that will come out later, maybe after I have enclosed it all in planking.
So now, I am going to treat all of the parts with Cuprinol. Not too much, in case it leaves an oily residue - which might affect the glue joints.
Keeping the model dry should prevent most woodworm activity but I like to play safe.
Captain David attached the following image(s):
001worm.jpg
Tomick
#2 Posted : 09 May 2013 09:49:32

Groups:

More than likely its a ply void..
Captain David
#3 Posted : 09 May 2013 09:54:41

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hoping so, Mr T. I just can't be sure as I didn't notice it before.
Warthog
#4 Posted : 09 May 2013 09:56:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

As Tom say's it's more likely a void in the Ply and this can happen during the laminating process.. But nothing wrong with treating all your parts, it just means it will take longer unless you coat larger built area's rather than individual parts.
Captain David
#5 Posted : 09 May 2013 10:05:28

I will do the assembled keel, assembled ribs and the decks for now. A single-shot job.
court orchard
#6 Posted : 09 May 2013 10:25:00

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I live in a old house which before we restored it was riddled with Woodworm and Death Watch Beetle. So I have some experience in this matterCrying Crying LOL
Woodworm has a 4 year life cycle and you don't see the entrances only the exits, so if they are woodworm exit holes those Eggs were laid over 4 years ago and those adult beetles are long gone, they don't stay around laying more eggs but go on a mating flight. So the way to know if you've got woodworm, is beetles at your windows in the summer trying to get out to find a mate, rather than holes. This means that the ply itself was lying around over 4 years ago in a susceptible environment, which in itself is unlikely as it was probably only made in China 6 months agoLOL. I would also say that woodworm are quite fussy about the density of the wood and the ply cores are far too soft for their tastes. They tend not to infest Plywood, Chipboard, MDF etc as they like their grubs to have something solid to munch away at for their 4 years, so go for medium hardness solid wood.
Cuprinol is nasty stuff it stinks for weeks if not months and attacks glue bonds etc. and may affect the ply bonding itself and to be honest doesn't penetrate deeply enough to work that effectively with just a brush coat.
I had a lot of pits and holes in the edges of some of my Victory X-Section Ply and these are caused by the laser cutter burning away the more vulnerable soft core layers or as Mr T says voids introduced during laying down of the ply which would not be visible until it was cut.
Andy

Building:Samurai Armour, SOTS, Victory X-Section, Bismarck, D51
Finished:WW I Bavarian NCO, Caldercraft HM Bark Endeavour FFG 58 Samuel B Roberts,
Captain David
#7 Posted : 09 May 2013 10:40:48

Thanks Andy.
We have had woodworm here too, so I get a bit panicked about it!
Tomick
#8 Posted : 09 May 2013 16:52:55

Groups:

You could say that you might end up opening a can of worms if you do use it on a model.. LOL
Captain David
#9 Posted : 09 May 2013 17:04:42

Ha! Flapper
Plymouth57
#10 Posted : 12 May 2013 23:29:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Captain D

There is another chemical free way to kill woodworm which might work for model ship wood.
My previous employer owned a wildife park and also a large collection of antique furniture much of it peppered in woodworm. His solution was to put the furniture in the walk in freezer we kept the frozen meat for the big cats in. After a minimum of 48hrs any woodworm and their eggs were dead and gone!
It didn't affect the furniture so it might be possible to do the same by leaving the kit wood in a domestic freezer for the same time. I would experiment with the scrap pieces of ply first, if they do warp you might get away with clamping them between thicker wood panels for support?

Cheaper than Cuprinol anyway!BigGrin

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1