Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

16 Pages <12345>»
ARPurchase's build of the D51 Options
arpurchase
#41 Posted : 08 June 2013 16:33:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

BigGrin Hi Kev
Your description of the paint superceads mine LOL and thanks for looking in and the comments
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Tomick
#42 Posted : 08 June 2013 18:59:48

Groups:

Nice choice of finish Andy ThumpUp
Gandale
#43 Posted : 08 June 2013 19:39:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

What a super paint job Andy, think the choice of colour is spot on..... love it...Love Love

Regards

Alan
jase
#44 Posted : 08 June 2013 21:56:37

Now that looks spot on Andy. you will have a piece of industrial history that looks the part when done Cool
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
arpurchase
#45 Posted : 08 June 2013 22:08:03

BigGrin Hi Tom
The pic's don't do it justice it looks even better in real life, it really is spot on
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

arpurchase
#46 Posted : 08 June 2013 22:14:18

BigGrin Hi Alan
I have to admit the pic's don't do the paint justice it really reproduces that worn engine look that I was after
AndyCool

arpurchase
#47 Posted : 08 June 2013 22:16:12

BigGrin Hi Jase
Thanks for looking in and your comments she looks even better in real life as the pic's don't really show the paint to its best
AndyCool

arpurchase
#48 Posted : 09 June 2013 02:55:00

BigGrin Hi All
After advice from Nem I have opted for the alclad stainless steel hi shine lacquer for the running gear I was looking for a cast iron finish for the wheels but as burnt iron is the closest that alclad do I think this will be too dark so its the stainless steel finish bit of a bummer but i think the alclad may be ok as with less polishing I may be able to recreate cast iron. But there are several other products that you will need to apply the final colour, this sounds quite simple but you will need the undercoat, polishing materials and the airbrush cleaner, as its a cellulose based spray coat[ gona be higher than a kite and with a big grin as it takes me back to my freeflight days ,just need the DC merlin diesel smell to take me to heavenDrool LOL Drool ] . People who have built the MP4 McLaren will be familiar with the chrome product from Alclad and Warty's excellent use and explanation on how to use the product. I will admit this is my first use of an alclad product so will be on a learning curve as I get to grips with it, so any advice would be welcome, my initial thoughts are that the donor surface must be smoother than a baby's bottom but any help would be welcome
regards
AndyCool

arpurchase
#49 Posted : 09 June 2013 12:37:52

BigGrin Hi All
Here's a list of the paint I am using for anyone who wants to paint there engine,

RAILMATCH #2412 WEATHERED BLACK [main body]

ALCLAD ALC-115 STAINLESS STEEL LACQUER [running gear]

All the above I got online from 'Antics' model shops but I have seen it on other sites but at varying prices so check before you buy to get the best price, here's a link to 'Antics' website aswell[ and no im not in anyway associated with Antics]

http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/

I will add to this list if I use any other paint/products

regards
AndyCool

stut2
#50 Posted : 09 June 2013 13:09:47

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Thanks Andy for the info, a quick question, will you be using a particular primer or base coat on the Alclad paint?
Regards
Simon
court orchard
#51 Posted : 09 June 2013 13:40:11

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Lovely Finish Andy.
Can I just confirm that the Black was,
Railmatch 412 Weathered Black and not Lifecolor Weathered Black UA723.
Andy

Building:Samurai Armour, SOTS, Victory X-Section, Bismarck, D51
Finished:WW I Bavarian NCO, Caldercraft HM Bark Endeavour FFG 58 Samuel B Roberts,
arpurchase
#52 Posted : 09 June 2013 16:04:41

BigGrin Hi Stut2
for the general undercoating im using Canbrush grey primer which has a finish like Plasticote but is half the price. As for the Alclad I bought several things that are listed below

Alclad Stainless Steel High Shine Finish Cellulose Lacquer (ALC115) 28916
Alclad Micromesh Polishing Set (ALC301) 28921
Alclad Airbrush Cleaner (ALC307) 74147
Alclad Gloss Black Base 4fl.oz (ALC305) 41642

The micromesh could be sourced online probably for less than I paid for it but as they had it all in stock I got the Alclad set, the black base is what I chose but they also do a honey primer but I chose the black as it will show where I have sprayed or missed what everLOL . Hope this helps
regards
AndyCool

arpurchase
#53 Posted : 09 June 2013 16:08:44

BigGrin Hi Andy
the paint I have is the 'Railmatch' weathered black #2412 sorry if there's any confusion but just to make sure here's a couple of pics aswell
regards
AndyCool
arpurchase attached the following image(s):
P6090482.JPG
P6090484.JPG

stut2
#54 Posted : 09 June 2013 16:18:25

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Hi Stut2
for the general undercoating im using Canbrush grey primer which has a finish like Plasticote but is half the price. As for the Alclad I bought several things that are listed below

Alclad Stainless Steel High Shine Finish Cellulose Lacquer (ALC115) 28916
Alclad Micromesh Polishing Set (ALC301) 28921
Alclad Airbrush Cleaner (ALC307) 74147
Alclad Gloss Black Base 4fl.oz (ALC305) 41642

The micromesh could be sourced online probably for less than I paid for it but as they had it all in stock I got the Alclad set, the black base is what I chose but they also do a honey primer but I chose the black as it will show where I have sprayed or missed what everLOL . Hope this helps
regards
AndyCool

Cheers Andy
Regards
Simon
court orchard
#55 Posted : 09 June 2013 18:01:26

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Hi Andy
the paint I have is the 'Railmatch' weathered black #2412 sorry if there's any confusion but just to make sure here's a couple of pics aswell
regards
AndyCool

Thanks Andy, I'm easily confused.LOL Blushing
Andy

Building:Samurai Armour, SOTS, Victory X-Section, Bismarck, D51
Finished:WW I Bavarian NCO, Caldercraft HM Bark Endeavour FFG 58 Samuel B Roberts,
arpurchase
#56 Posted : 09 June 2013 18:20:13

BigGrin Hi Simon and Andy
Glad to be of help and Andy it was my fault as I put down lifeclour railmatch paints not realising there from different manurfactures
regards
AndyCool

arpurchase
#57 Posted : 23 June 2013 18:32:41

BigGrin Hi All
I have been experimenting with the Alclad stainless steel paint on the drive rods and its weird stuff to use I must say the metal spray looks like its not working but as it dries it metalises Blink the pics show the undercoat and the top coat in place . Now to start polishing hopefully it will work out
regards
AndyCool
arpurchase attached the following image(s):
P6230499.JPG
P6230502.JPG
P6230503.JPG

jase
#58 Posted : 23 June 2013 18:54:01

watching with interest Andy
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
karl1113
#59 Posted : 23 June 2013 19:36:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

hi andy, I'm using the chrome alclad on mine, and uses very little,sprayed on the high gloss black undercoat,that way I just built up the coats until I got the finish I wanted.
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
Nemesis
#60 Posted : 23 June 2013 21:10:25

Hi Andy, looking very good indeed!BigGrin Have placed an order for my paints today, so I may make a start on mine by next weekend!!BigGrin