Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

1/12 Ferrari F40 Options
roymattblack
#1 Posted : 15 May 2013 09:52:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Just a bit of news on my current build.
It's the old Revell Ferrari F40 that has received a bit of a pasting on many forums.
I've researched a lot of stuff about the car and found numerous pictures as well as the technical manual for the car - LOADS of reference in that!
It seems that most of the gripes are pretty unfounded as the kit is actually quite accurate.
There's been a lot of waffle about the incorrect wheel sizes, but in fact the kit wheels scale out almost exactly.
The only error with them is that the rear wheels aren't wide enough.
Difficult to remedy.
As with all 1/12 kits there's heaps of scope for detailing and having the tech manual has meant I went a bit overboard.....
I also thought the kit seats were far too 'thin' until I saw pics of the real ones - they are about an inch thick!
I printed my own C/F and Kevlar decals following patterns from the real car pics so if the weave looks too big - it isn't.

Hope you like it so far.

Roy.
roymattblack attached the following image(s):
P1010007.JPG
P1010019.JPG
P1010020.JPG
P1010021.JPG
P1010024.JPG
P1010033.JPG
P1010032.JPG
P1010001 (4).JPG
P1010002 (3).JPG
P1010003 (2).JPG
Nemesis
#2 Posted : 15 May 2013 10:19:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Stunning build Roy, love the added detail, keep the pics coming!!!BigGrin BigGrin
roymattblack
#3 Posted : 15 May 2013 10:41:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

I forgot to mention - I reshaped the rear wheel arches as they were too close to the tyres according to the real car, and I cut out the horrible solid rear grille.
The new grille is made from ally mesh and the light surrounds are steel washers painted satin black.......
I've used good old HS-2K clear coat that doesn't show up well on the picture.
It's incredible stuff. Dries in around 15 minutes and is so glossy you could almost swim in it.
Stinks like b-ggery though....

Roy.
P1010004 (2).JPG
SennaMentalMe
#4 Posted : 15 May 2013 13:40:15

Groups:

Hello Roy,

Nice work and love the additional details, really makes the engine bay a lot busier looking and certainly worth the effort - well done!! CoolThumpUp

Not a criticism here Roy more a question or observation really, but is the carbon as grey as it looks in the photos and in reality? I only ask that as I think it would look a lot better if it had a light coat of Tamiya X-19 'Smoke' or two to tone down the greyness which seems a little too bold - could just be camera flash though?

Nice looking build though Roy and it just shows how a 'not-so-popular' or badly received kit can be turned into a nice model with just a little effort? I love it when modellers add details of their own - that's right up my street!!

Well done!! CoolThumpUp

Kev BigGrin
roymattblack
#5 Posted : 15 May 2013 14:28:40

The C/F does look a bit bright in the pics but isn't like that in reality although I will probably do as you suggest and tone it down a bit further.
This is the 3rd 1/12 Revell Ferrari I've built and they have all been pretty good kits, but lacking in any kind of 'proper' detail.
The F40, Testarossa and the F1 models can still be had at sensible money (between £35-£50) on Ebay, but the 1/12 250GTO and 250SWB go for insane money - often way over £100.
I'll keep looking though.

Roy.
SennaMentalMe
#6 Posted : 15 May 2013 18:05:02

Groups:

Hello Roy, glad you agree as I think the carbon would definitely benefit from being a little darker in shade? I'm not surprised that the Ferrari 250GTO and 250LWB are very sought after, they were beautiful cars and with a bit of extra detail those kits would look fabulous?!

Keep up the good work and keep posting the pictures - I love all these classic cars!? CoolThumpUp

Kev BigGrin
MWG
#7 Posted : 15 May 2013 19:07:31

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Roy fabulous build you have thereBigGrin I love the enhancements and modifications. Kind regards Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

Heinzy
#8 Posted : 16 May 2013 09:02:57

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking good!

I'm glad you cut out the rear solid grille, that makes a huge difference BigGrin

I was stuck in traffic the other day on the M25, And I sat right behind one on these, actually think it's the 1st time I've seen one on the road

I had to take a pic, but made sure the driver wasn't watching!!

I'll upload it when I get a chance
roymattblack
#9 Posted : 16 May 2013 18:47:07

Heinzy wrote:
Looking good!

I'm glad you cut out the rear solid grille, that makes a huge difference BigGrin

I was stuck in traffic the other day on the M25, And I sat right behind one on these, actually think it's the 1st time I've seen one on the road

I had to take a pic, but made sure the driver wasn't watching!!

I'll upload it when I get a chance

A few years ago I was crawling in traffic (same road...) and a silver Zonda was crawling along beside me.
I stared at the car and then glanced at the driver who was alongside me, looking at me.
It was Jeremy Clarkson.
Then I spotted a black Porsche behind him - Richard Hammond, and a red Ferrari behind that - James May.
There were two big BBC trucks behind them.
I was a real saddo and got a pic of the Hamster as he came alongside.

Roy.
Heinzy
#10 Posted : 17 May 2013 11:50:23

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

lol Roy that is quality!!!

I don't think this guy was famous, but if it was one of the top gear guys I think I would've actually got out for a picture!

As promised here's the F40 in the flesh

Heinzy attached the following image(s):
F40 in traffic.JPG
petpole
#11 Posted : 17 May 2013 12:34:54

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Roy great photo, the number plate is nice touch it could have been Donald plesance LOL .
But I just noticed that there are only 4 side vents on the rear of the real car where there are 5 on the model, is this only on one side.

Great build by the way keep the pictures coming.

Peter

BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
Builds in progress: HMS Victory.HMS Surprise.
Completed builds: Revell London Bus 1/24.
Builds to do:Sovereign of the seas, Hms Albion.
roymattblack
#12 Posted : 20 May 2013 09:08:57

The grilles on the rear of the car changed in the early years of production - not sure why.
The first F40's had five vents, later ones had four.
Also, I've noticed that not all cars had the 'F40' insignia in the rear spoiler uprights.
Some did, some didn't....?

I'm moving on with the body work now.
Primer, Tamiya Italian red, lots of wet sanding and then 2K clear.
Getting on to the final stretch now.

Roy.
87Ferrari_F40_prototype_2.jpg
P1010005 (3).JPG
P1010006 (2).JPG
P1010007 (2).JPG
P1010038.JPG
SennaMentalMe
#13 Posted : 20 May 2013 11:08:22

Groups:

Nice work Roy and I really like the way that you are taking the care and time to get a nice finish on the bodywork, most people would just spray it and leave it, but what you are doing will definitely make all the difference to the appearance of the finished model?

Well done Roy and I'm looking forward to seeing the completed model! CoolThumpUp

Kev BigGrin
roymattblack
#14 Posted : 21 May 2013 19:22:18

All done.....

I can honestly say that I've really enjoyed this build.

The Revell kit is very underrated, and unfairly criticised.

There are all kinds of (untrue) tales about wrong wheel sizes, wrong shaped body, incorrect details
(the number of rear side vents, and missing F40 on wing uprights to name two 'faults' that are actually correct)

I scaled the model against plans of the real thing and it's actually very accurate.

True, there's not much engine detail, but for me, part of the fun is the research and adding the extras.

Sadly, a lot of the engine detail is now lost, hidden under and behind bits of bodywork but I know it's there.

All I can say is, ignore the people who complain about the kit, and take advantage of the fact it keeps the values down.

A really nice kit for around £35 on Ebay.

Hope you like it.

Roy.
123.jpg
234.jpg
345.jpg
456.jpg
567.jpg
678.jpg
789.jpg
890.jpg
Nemesis
#15 Posted : 21 May 2013 19:25:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Stunning finish!! It looks awesome!!BigGrin BigGrin
SennaMentalMe
#16 Posted : 21 May 2013 20:01:06

Groups:

Very nice indeed Roy, I take my hat off to you and as I said before, your efforts to get a good base for the final coat of paint have certainly paid off, that is a superb top coat - well done!! CoolThumpUp

I agree with what you say about it being a very underrated kit, sure it could be better, but as you rightly say, there is nothing wrong with it per se considering how cheap it is to buy, and it is such fun adding detail, that Revell should be praised for leaving that side of the build to those who are willing to take the model to the next level?

Well done again Roy - what's up next? I'm enjoying your large scale car builds, will you be doing a diary for the Pocher Lamborghini Aventador? Hope so!! Drool Cool

Kev BigGrin
delboy271155
#17 Posted : 21 May 2013 20:05:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Roy,Drool Drool Drool
That`s an amazing finish. A real credit to your building skills.

WTG mate WTG.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

roymattblack
#18 Posted : 21 May 2013 20:13:37

Many thanks for the kind comments you guys.
The Aventador isn't due until October-ish but yes, I'll document the build as I go.
Believe it or not, my next (current) build is a 1/18 Aston DBR9 - in CARD!
I'll post some pics/details shortly.
Roy.
SennaMentalMe
#19 Posted : 21 May 2013 20:49:36

Groups:

I'll look forward to both the Aventador and the Aston Martin builds then Roy - good stuff! CoolThumpUp

Kev BigGrin