Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

19 Pages «<16171819>
Magpie 1832's Surprise Build. Options
Mo
#341 Posted : 24 March 2013 22:31:31

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Welcome back chris, You were my hero when i first joined this forum, Cant believe I am ahead of you now, I thought I would just follow your build to the finish, Suppose I will just have to have a long break and let you catch up. lol

Mo
Mo
petpole
#342 Posted : 25 March 2013 02:05:07

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice to see you back Chris, it's been a long time coming and can't wait to see the plans you have for the rest of her.
Keep the build alive.

BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
Builds in progress: HMS Victory.HMS Surprise.
Completed builds: Revell London Bus 1/24.
Builds to do:Sovereign of the seas, Hms Albion.
Hans
#343 Posted : 25 March 2013 11:16:30

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Beautiful job there Chris, lovely clean lines, well done.
Rgds, Hans
"It's okay to make mistakes. mistakes are our teachers - they help us to to learn, even if it is painfully"
Current Build:
Endeavour Cross section,D51
Completed: HMS Victory
Under the bench: Endeavour x 2,Sovereign of the Seas, Akagi and The Black Pearl!HMS Victory Cross Section
magpie1832
#344 Posted : 25 March 2013 15:58:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi All
Thanks for the nice comments. Very much appreciated. Looks like role reversal now Mo haha.
Here are what I managed today after my sleep. Nights don't half half tire you out.
Chris
magpie1832 attached the following image(s):
2013-03-25145114_zps2f6271c8.png
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

jonny7england
#345 Posted : 25 March 2013 16:47:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

She's looking great Chris!! Drool ThumpUp
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
MWG
#346 Posted : 25 March 2013 17:31:55

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Chris, nice to see your workBigGrin good stuff Kind regards Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

Gandale
#347 Posted : 25 March 2013 21:51:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Beautiful work Chris.... Drool

Regards

Alan
moriarty
#348 Posted : 25 March 2013 23:10:51

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

A very very nice looking neat and clean build. AwesomeLove Cool
HMS Surprise
HMS Snake
HMS Bounty
HMS Royal Caroline
HMS Victory rebuild
HMS Supply
Trotsky
#349 Posted : 29 March 2013 14:08:11

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Simply the best !!
H.M.S Victory
H.M.S Victory X Section
H.M.S Surprise under the bench
D-51
petpole
#350 Posted : 29 March 2013 14:53:05

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking great as usual Chris, sorry for my ignorance but the chess trees ? What are those have not come across them before, and they are not on the plans do I need to fit them on my tug of a ship.LOL

Keep the build coming

Drool Drool
Builds in progress: HMS Victory.HMS Surprise.
Completed builds: Revell London Bus 1/24.
Builds to do:Sovereign of the seas, Hms Albion.
Dont99
#351 Posted : 29 November 2013 20:00:21

Hey Chris, I have just started to build the Surprise and was wondering where I may be able to obtain the original detailed 1794 era construction drawings (even if they are in french)....any ideas, thanks, any help is appreciated..Don.
magpie1832
#352 Posted : 29 November 2013 22:19:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi mate. I can try send you over the ones i have. They are not the best but better than none lol.
Chris.
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Gandale
#353 Posted : 29 November 2013 22:53:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Beautiful build Chris, love your work....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
Dont99
#354 Posted : 30 November 2013 23:28:39

Hey Chris, Does this look a little familiar..I copied your 3 shift pattern but was unable to get any Tanganyika strips over here (well not for months anyway) so I stained the basswood...lets hope it will look ok when finished,I sent you a pm about the drawings as well, Thanks mate..
ThumpUp

File Attachment(s):
DSCF1175.JPG (596kb) downloaded 136 time(s).
Mo
#355 Posted : 02 December 2013 21:52:23

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

just an observation, but I ended up in San Diego on holiday a couple of months ago,
And low and behold I came across H M S Surprise at the maritime museum, the ship I am building looks nothing like the one I was on at the museum, totally different shape. Don't know what the drawings supplied with the kit are based on.
Mo.
Mo
Matelot one
#356 Posted : 03 December 2013 22:20:20

They are based on the captured french frigate l'unite which was renamed HMS Surprise. The one from Master and Commander in San Diego was re-modeled from HMS Rose, which was built in the 70'S I think?
________________________________________________________________________________________

Built Mare Nostrum
Google Photo Album
Matelot (ˈmætləʊ) , Matlo or Matlow
noun
(Nautical Terms) slang chiefly Brit - a sailor

johncal
#357 Posted : 04 December 2013 18:36:18

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Mo wrote:
just an observation, but I ended up in San Diego on holiday a couple of months ago,
And low and behold I came across H M S Surprise at the maritime museum, the ship I am building looks nothing like the one I was on at the museum, totally different shape. Don't know what the drawings supplied with the kit are based on.
Mo.

If you look at my movie version build thread you sill see it also looks nothing like the kit at this point. Keep in mind the movie version is not necessarily the most historically accurate version either.

The fact is nobody knows exactly how it looked. I went with building the movie version because i loved the movie and there is the san diego one to work from. Also i appreciate a bigger challenge.
Page
#358 Posted : 11 January 2016 04:42:29

Chris. I am trying to follow your build for my surprise. I understand using Bslsa wood filler for the winding frames but did you also use balsa filler between frame 5 and 10 also. This is what it looks like in your photosHuh It also seems like alot of sanding and rounding out the stern collar decking to get the right flow. Did you overlap the planking or just formed it by sanding and filing or am I not planking it correctlyConfused One other question do you paint your parts before installation? I too will be painting the inner planks on the lower deck white9assume a flat white) and will leave them rough cut as you did.
Thanks, Page
magpie1832
#359 Posted : 11 January 2016 06:09:44

Hi Page,
Yes I also infilled between 5 and 10 it makes a big difference doing there too. I was going to do the whole lower hull but balsa wood is expensive. Blink

I am not understanding what you mean with the deck planking at the stern collar. Here is a link to a further on picture of the area. Please could you post a pic up so I can see what your problem area is. http://forum.model-space...s&m=21085#post21085

I cut the inner walls to size first. Painted the lowest plank that is touching the deck. Once I had laid the rest then I painted them.

Hope this helps
ChrisBigGrin
On the bench

BarryM
#360 Posted : 07 June 2016 18:17:34

magpie1832 wrote:
Thanks Rob,Jonny and Secretreeve for your comments.BigGrin

I'm sure you can achieve what you want without out pins, Just remember to only do a couple of planks a time and use alphatic glue which has great grab. Measure every plank first before you put any glue near it.

@Secretreeve, I have beveled the top edge of each Plank ever so slightly but more on sharper curves so I can get a nice joint. And don't try and bend the plank where it won't go, let it lie where it wants to go give or take a little of side to side to but up to next joint. Have you read this post it will help you alot.Simple hull Planking Tutorial

Here are my latest Pic's...

Hi Chris,
Looking at my bow planking the shape seems a little different to yours, you seem to have about 4 planks above the notch in the keel, I've ended up with 6, did you cut yours down???

Barry
There's no time like the present.....