Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

HMS Greyhound-Corel Options
Wilfy the Sea Dog
#1 Posted : 06 June 2010 23:29:40

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hi,

I'm pretty new to the art of ship modelling, more used to plastic AFV kits, but have been interested in giving it a try for a while.

When I saw this issue of HMS Victory I thought now's the time, as I guessed that this was going to be a hefty priced model and I didn't want to start until I had all the keel & bulkhead pieces I thought I would invest in a cheaper kit for a bit practice before taking on the Victory.

I saw the Corel HMS Greyhound which wasn't too pricey and fairly small, so thought I would give it a try.

Has anyone out there built this kit? I found the fit of parts to be very poor so far and the instructions & plans leave a little to be desired. Is it just me? or has anyone else had this experience.

Would be greatful for any comments.

Thanks
amipal
#2 Posted : 07 June 2010 00:25:34

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Wilfy, welcome to the forum!

The Victory is the first vessel that I'm building, and yes there are some minor issues with some parts of the ship - but I think this can be the case with a lot of scale model kits. On the other hand, this forum has a lot of knowledge within it to assist in both building the ship as the manual instructs, but also to assist in scratching-building and modifying sections.

If you really want to build the model, I say crack on. Get on the forum for the ship, and start asking questions and I'm sure that people will help you out with anything that is wrong or challenging.

Good luck! Cool
MWG
#3 Posted : 08 June 2010 00:26:19

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Wilfy,
Please read the official Victory build by Tomick (Mr T) it is a must view, you will get great encouragement from this gentleman and the other experts.
enjoy the build.
P.S. I have not found any errors or problems with the build.
Cheers
MWG
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

Wilfy the Sea Dog
#4 Posted : 08 June 2010 07:38:49

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your responses. I don't know if I've worded it badly but my issue is with the Corel kit. I just wondered if there were known issues.

I have not yet started the Victory, but from checking through the parts the quality of this kit seems to be far superior to that of the Corel one.

When I eventually receive issues 7,8,9,10 I will started in earnest.

Thanks again. BigGrin
Jamie
#5 Posted : 08 June 2010 21:31:01

Welcome aboard Wilfy, hope you enjoy the build...both of them BigGrin

I wish I were a glow worm,
A glow worm's never glum,
'Cause how can you be grumpy?
When the sun shines out ya bum!!
tf5600
#6 Posted : 08 June 2010 21:52:07

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Wilfy

I have started a corel kit ( HMS Victory cut away section ) which is my first attempt at a wooden model, i have found the parts ok, but the plans are not very clear and there are no pictures to help you. Its taking a bit of a back seat at the moment as im more interested in this build.You will find this forum very useful, one piece of advice " look at all the build diaries before you start your build as theres a lot of good modellers out there "

Good luck, Ferret