Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

special zero build photos Options
snapdragon
#1 Posted : 24 May 2013 12:51:20

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

I didn't want to post these on my build thread, but I think that you should see these!

Big sucker isn't she!

I did a trial assembly and realised that the holes at the bottom of the cockpit area are where the wings (once they are screwed together to gide the correct cant) are fixed. Now once all the cockpit components etc are in place, these holes are more or less inaccesable. Therefore, as I did these photos BEFORE fixing any cockpit components I left the microscrews in place.

They were fiddly enough to get in with nearly enough space, and for all those who have not yet but the two cockpit halves together, put the screws in first and then the components and finally put the thing together. It is MUCH easier. Also it allows you to add any extra wiring etc that you wish to add. Unless you have microscrews pinging all over the place and the bench gremlin scuttling about and hoarding them where you can't see them you should have 4 spare to do this.

Now the photos

There you go. I still have a long way to go, and a lot of work to do, and paintwork to fix but slowly, ever so slowly the Zero takes shape!

Admin, Deag etc. I WANT A P-51D TOO!!!!!

James
Tomick
#2 Posted : 24 May 2013 16:45:36

Groups:

For me personally its too much blue even though it might be correct, as it seems to take over everything and the distract from some of the interior such as the fuel tanks. That said, it will look different again if you are planning to partly skin?
SennaMentalMe
#3 Posted : 24 May 2013 17:24:34

Groups:

Unfortunately, I think you are right Tom and I too feel that it is just too much Aotake? Is their any evidence James that the whole airframe was coated in the stuff as I was more of the assumption that it was only in specific areas, which were treated in the field and not completely covered when in the factory? I could be wrong about that which is why I'd like to see some evidence to back it up?

It does look more blue than an F4U Corsair though!? Blink Confused Glare Huh

Kev BigGrin
snapdragon
#4 Posted : 24 May 2013 18:17:46

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I will admit to have gone over the top on the aotake.

In reality the surfaces where the skin panels would have been fixed would not have been painted, but left aluminium. the underside of the fixed panels would have had an aotake coating while the exteriour would initially have had the Mitsubishi grey/green overall or the late Green uppger light grey lower paint.

This model will almost certainly be skinned and I will probably build another as a frame only build, but paint it correctly.

Hey! This thing is actually a learning curve for me!

I would like the real thing though!
arpurchase
#5 Posted : 25 June 2013 00:58:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi All
From what references I have read aotake paint was used more liberaly at the start of aircraft production, basicley most internal ribs in wings and fuselage an any surface's that were exposed to air were coated with the stuff but not where any surfaces would meet when assembled and as the war progressed and materials for paint manufacture became more rare the area's painted where wheel wells, internal flap area's, and the folding wing tip area and any continuously exposed areas to the salt air.
The aircraft was first flown in 1937 and had several changes made up until the A6 version of 1941 which then remained more or less unchanged until the end of hostilitys in 1945.
The reality of what im trying to say about the use of Aotake paint would be thus an 8 year production run from 1937 to 1945 would make our 1941 A6 Zero's early mid production types which would have the start of the Aotake paint reductions, so the use of the paint would be reduced to say ribs only and not the internal surfaces of wing/fuselage skins as in early models.
As Kev has previously mentioned WW11 Japanese aircraft and anything military can be a nightmare to investigate [ try getting the correct deck colour for the Yamato] the basic outer colours are well documented but its the internals that are still a cause of consternation today
Andy
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

SennaMentalMe
#6 Posted : 25 June 2013 10:09:03

Groups:

An interesting post Andy and you are spot on with what you say, both about the gradual decline in the use of Aotake as the war progressed and also about how difficult it is to pin down any accurate information about WWII aircraft/military subjects and their colour schemes - particularly with Japanese machines which seems to be a real minefield of conflicting information and it is usually subject to much debate. It would appear that anything is possibly correct and could well have happened at some point in the war, though finding proof of it is the problem - then just when you think you've nailed it you will find some conflicting evidence!! Blink Confused Huh

An excellent post Andy - very interesting, those Japanese!! CoolThumpUp

Kev BigGrin