Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

D51 prep & polishing of components Options
Tomick
#1 Posted : 24 May 2013 14:03:04

Groups:

Ensure that you wipe the large panel parts with a spirit degreasing agent before assembly and painting. Some of the brass panel sections have microfilm oil layer protection.

Also, if polishing the brass, be aware that some of the components are brass plated rather than solid brass, therefore great care must be taken when using abrasive/cutting mediums to polish.

Its also a good idea to key contact areas on panel parts when gluing to each other or parts to them. A fibre glass pencil is a handy tool to use when doing this.

Tomick attached the following image(s):
fibre pen.jpg
birdaj2
#2 Posted : 09 June 2014 18:08:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Tomick wrote:
Ensure that you wipe the large panel parts with a spirit degreasing agent before assembly and painting. Some of the brass panel sections have microfilm oil layer protection.

Also, if polishing the brass, be aware that some of the components are brass plated rather than solid brass, therefore great care must be taken when using abrasive/cutting mediums to polish.

Its also a good idea to key contact areas on panel parts when gluing to each other or parts to them. A fibre glass pencil is a handy tool to use when doing this.

Would Methylated spirit be a suitable cleaner do you think.

Had a search on eBay and all I could find are the sort of sprays used on pcb boards which are rather expensive.

I know meth tends to evaporate with no residue so would that be ok do you think?

Kind regards

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Tomick
#3 Posted : 09 June 2014 18:40:29

Groups:

Meth's should be okay, but it can leave a residue.

I tend to use Isopropyl Alchohol, which can be readily found on eBay and Amazon, in whatever volume you want it in, and in a bottle or trigger spray.
birdaj2
#4 Posted : 09 June 2014 18:53:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Mr T

Many thanks for your advice.

Will get myself some ordered tonight.

Regards

Tony
Happy Modelling

SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
Supaheli
#5 Posted : 05 July 2014 13:22:11

birdaj2 wrote:
Mr T

Many thanks for your advice.

Will get myself some ordered tonight.

Regards

Tony
shouldnt need to order it you might find it at a hardware store eg bunnings if u got 1 over there would need to be 100 percent im guessing
Supaheli
birdaj2
#6 Posted : 05 July 2014 22:42:13

Supaheli,

Hope all is well.

Sadly my dear home town despite its size and wishes to gain city status (LOL LOL ) is not blessed with much of anything.

The good old hardware stores on the whole were pushed out years ago by the big multi national chains who now only sell what THEY want rather than what the customer wants to buy.

They coupled with the fact I do not drive means 99% of my non food shopping is done through the internet.

I managed to get this solvent in its 99.99% pure form as a 1 litre bottle for £6.29 ($11.53 AusD) postage included so was fairly happy with that.

Just wish I could go back to the old days of popping into our local hardware store (Day and Webb was ours). My Dad used to buy loose wood screws and nails.

Happy modelling

Tony
Happy Modelling

jase
#7 Posted : 06 July 2014 01:34:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

You can also use vinegar and its a dam site cheaper. your only after a good de-greaser at the end of the day

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain