Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Unfashionable Hobby Options
court orchard
#1 Posted : 27 May 2013 17:26:35

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

An Unfashionable Hobby maybe, but did they have to repeat it 3 times.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-21538901
Andy

Building:Samurai Armour, SOTS, Victory X-Section, Bismarck, D51
Finished:WW I Bavarian NCO, Caldercraft HM Bark Endeavour FFG 58 Samuel B Roberts,
Nemesis
#2 Posted : 27 May 2013 17:48:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

What a shame!! Had 2 shops in my town go the same way. Unfortunately the likes of ebay and other internet shops have put paid to the high street shops. You dont need to leave house and you can order everything you need nowadays. I for one like going to the shops and nosing around to find something a bit special. As for it being an 'unfashionable' hobby, my 2 boys have started building models and some of their friends have seen them and have got into it as well!!!BigGrin BigGrin
NMBROOK
#3 Posted : 27 May 2013 18:27:00

Groups:

I am rather upset about this as I have been going there for over 30 years.The shop was a true 'Aladdin's cave' for the odds and ends you don't often see.Downstairs they had quite a selection of wooden ship kits and upstairs was model trains and plastic kits.It surprising how many items intended for model railways can be used for other aspects of modelling.
They will be sadly missed by me Crying .
Kind Regards Nigel
arpurchase
#4 Posted : 27 May 2013 19:49:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

It would seem that the model shops that do stay open are the ones with a healthy online website where I suspect most of there sales come from, there are already many internet only model shops but to me the magic of entering that aladin's cave and perusing what's on offer will soon be a thing of the past i think.
Where I grew up I can remember 3 model shops all within a bike rides distance sadly all gone but one now and I think its the last one left in all of Birmingham
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

NMBROOK
#5 Posted : 27 May 2013 20:03:47

Groups:

I quite agree Andy its not the same buying things online.If I were to purchase another large ship kit,I would jump in the car and drive from Yorkshire all the way to Westbourne models in Bournemouth so I can have a good look in the box.I have done it before,mind you the wife doesn't mind because it normally involves a hotel stayLOL .With some of the larger kits now getting nearer to the £1000 mark,it is a big investment.
Kind Regards Nigel
arpurchase
#6 Posted : 27 May 2013 20:06:34

BigGrin And the restraunt meal too I suspectCool LOL BigGrin LOL
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

NMBROOK
#7 Posted : 27 May 2013 20:09:20

Groups:

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin And the restraunt meal too I suspectCool LOL BigGrin LOL

Well naturally Andy and the full english the following morning.That kit is well over the grand by the time I have finishedCrying Crying Crying
Kind Regards Nigel
SennaMentalMe
#8 Posted : 27 May 2013 20:18:20

Groups:

Nemesis wrote:
.... my 2 boys have started building models and some of their friends have seen them and have got into it as well!!!BigGrin BigGrin

Ooooh dear!!! .... best keep an eye on your stash Daran!! LOL LOL Glare BigGrin

Kev BigGrin
Nemesis
#9 Posted : 27 May 2013 20:25:20

SennaMentalMe wrote:
Nemesis wrote:
.... my 2 boys have started building models and some of their friends have seen them and have got into it as well!!!BigGrin BigGrin

Ooooh dear!!! .... best keep an eye on your stash Daran!! LOL LOL Glare BigGrin

Kev BigGrin

They seem to have stashes of their own, may have to raid theirs!!!LOL LOL LOL BigGrin
Tomick
#10 Posted : 27 May 2013 20:32:44

Groups:

court orchard wrote:
An Unfashionable Hobby maybe, but did they have to repeat it 3 times.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-21538901

The only thing unfashionable is that this outlet did not move with the times!

The problem is that online selling has taken the majority of the model kit business, and that general high street retailing will never be the same again.
NMBROOK
#11 Posted : 27 May 2013 21:17:29

Groups:

They did have a website,but unfortunately it wasn't very good.
Kind Regards Nigel
Wilfy the Sea Dog
#12 Posted : 30 May 2013 02:45:47

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

It's a hard one to argue here!

I miss my local hobby shop, shopped there for 35 years, but as Tomick & others have said you do have to move with the times.

I miss browsing through the shelfs & boxes but I also like the fact that I can now find just about anything I want on the web.

The hobby certainly hasn't gone out of fashion, I recently picked up a large collection of kits from someone on this forum & have had no problem selling them on, have made enough now to pay for my D51 subscription! :o)

The only problem is I haven't had time to do any modelling myself!

Anyway, sad as it is the way forward for must shops now is online, I buy very little in the high street these days.

:0(

Wilfy