Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Not strictly about Victory Options
Dontshootme
#1 Posted : 09 June 2010 21:11:10

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

As the title says this is not strictly about Victory although it is relevant to her as with all ships.
While reading the magazines that came today I noticed the section about John Harrison who took up the challenge to accurately calculate longitude.
I don't know if anyone has see the mini-series that was made about him & the man who restored all his instruments but if you haven't seen it then it is well worth watching.

Here is a brief synopsis
Longitude is the fascinating story of John Harrison (Gambon), who in the 18th century believed he could make a clock that would work on board a ship - and so solve the problem of finding longitude at sea. Harrison has to struggle against a bigoted establishment in order to win recognition for his achievements. This story is intertwined with that of Rupert Gould (Irons), the former naval officer who in the 1920s discovered Harrison's clocks and - at the cost of his health, his reputation and his marriage, began the mammoth task of restoring them.

For anyone interested in watching this it is available at Play.com for £9.99 & there is also links for buying it 2nd hand at the above link,no doubt it is also available at Amazon as well.

As I said its a fascinating story & well worth buying even if you saw it on TV when it was on.
Rob Nolli Illigitimi Carborundum!!!
Current Builds:HMS Victory,SV Thermopylae
Mike Turpin
#2 Posted : 10 June 2010 00:01:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month

I agree it is a fascinating story and well worth watching.

It is also fascinating to see Harrison Nos 1,2 and 3 still working at the Royal Observatory Greenwich. The movements are something that you need to see to believe!

Harrison H1 TimeKeeper

Mike T
snowtiger
#3 Posted : 10 June 2010 01:25:31

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

It looks like something out of Dr Who....LOL ....but who am i to argue with sucess..they just don't make them like they used too.
It is weird ...all the tech we have today....people like him laid the foundation...BigGrin
thomasmoult
#4 Posted : 03 September 2010 21:31:55

Horology is a hobby of mine besides building Victory; I restore old silver pocket watches, something that is very challenging and very rewarding! The way the movements are made, and the way they operate is downright amazing when you sit and look at them working. I often wonder how on earth they were made in those days!
The most recent watch I acquired was an 1884 lever watch, complete with its original box and instructions.

Harrisons clocks are, as has been said, magnificent, and a credit to the craftsmanship to show they are still running today. There is a brilliant book about him called Longitude by Dava Sobel which is well worth a read. I also hear that somewhere (I think in Lincolnshire) Harrison built a clock tower for a local park, and that it is still running to this day.

Genius of a man!
Mike Turpin
#5 Posted : 03 September 2010 22:06:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month

If its the one I'm thinking of, the movement was built entirely from wood! Harrison started life as a carpenter and joiner.

Mike T
thomasmoult
#6 Posted : 03 September 2010 22:21:01

Mike Turpin wrote:
If its the one I'm thinking of, the movement was built entirely from wood! Harrison started life as a carpenter and joiner.

Mike T

Indeed he did, it bears thinking about the level of skill and time required to make such a movement from wood. If I am not mistaken he did not have any training whatsoever as a clockmaker!
Its just a shame his work took so long to be appreciated; if I remember the King himself personally stepped in after having felt that the man had been wronged.

Tom