Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

6 Pages 123>»
ARP's Zero Options
arpurchase
#1 Posted : 15 June 2013 03:30:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

BigGrin ok iv gone for the beast and its something I have wanted for a while, as I have watched this build and like Kev I suspected it would be shall we say a half way house but as it has progressed its a very comprehensive build that would knock socks off any others.
Years ago I built a plastic model of around 15 inches/38 centimetr's I think it may have been an early tamiaya and the detail at the time blew me away and I loved it, now I will try to do justice to the flyer's and of all nations that fought for there beliefs at that time of conflict.
The Zero to me will by my own journey of respect on both sides of a conclusion of an epic disagreement.
I just hope I can do justice to all who fell
and all who survived
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

SennaMentalMe
#2 Posted : 15 June 2013 09:55:16

Groups:

Well done Andy and welcome to the club, this is what we need on ModelSpace, more aircraft builders!! It seems that the DeAg Zero has been a bit of a slow starter as far as build diaries goes but definitely seems to be getting more popular now, which is great news!!

Looking forward to your build Andy and I'm sure we can bounce ideas off of each other as we progress? Really looking forward to this one!! CoolThumpUp

Anybody else fancy starting a diary for this fantastic model? Drool Cool

Kev BigGrin
Tomick
#3 Posted : 15 June 2013 11:15:02

Groups:

Good choice Andy, its a stunning kit! Cool
arpurchase
#4 Posted : 15 June 2013 13:14:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Thanks Kev and Tom
For your warm welcome I am looking forward to this baby
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

arpurchase
#5 Posted : 29 June 2013 11:37:04

BigGrin Hi All
My first batch of parts have arrived and there's only one thing to say simple stunning the quality and the detail is most impressive also I received my Tamiya Japanese fighter pilot and the reference book 'Modelling the Mitsubishi A6M Zero' from Osprey publishing, my thanks to Kev for recommending this publication its a must really. More to follow
regards
Andy

pemberg
#6 Posted : 29 June 2013 14:03:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Andy
I agree it is great quality. My second issue should be due in a couple of weeks. I got my pilot a couple of days ago and the Osprey book arrived this morning.

look forward to seeing your build

Graeme
arpurchase
#7 Posted : 29 June 2013 19:09:06

BigGrin Hi Graeme
Thanks for looking in im still very impressed
AndyCool

arpurchase
#8 Posted : 07 July 2013 17:53:15

BigGrin Hi All
I have obtained several pots of 'Lifecolour Aotake' whilst I like the colour shall we say at full strength it seems to me shall we say a little strong. So i have been doing some colour test's to find what I think is the correct shade of Aotake after looking at the few pictures that are available. The dilutions are as follows 50%= a dilution of 50% paint to 50% thinner ect
The three pictures that follow show the results,
Picture one is the paint at 50% dilution but too me still looks too dark.
The second picture shows the paint at 25% and is the closest to what I want.
The third and last picture shows the paint at 12.5% dilution this is too washed out and the pigment floats on the thinning medium and when dry just looks terrible. Any comments are most welcome
regards
Andy
arpurchase attached the following image(s):
P7070555.JPG
P7070556.JPG
P7070558.JPG

SennaMentalMe
#9 Posted : 07 July 2013 23:15:36

Groups:

Hello Andy, definitely the second photo for me (25%) and I agree with you, the 50% is too thick and the 12.5% is just a washout?

Hope that helps?

Kev BigGrin

arpurchase
#10 Posted : 07 July 2013 23:24:06

BigGrin Hi Kev
My thoughts exactly and thanks for the input
Andy

Dontshootme
#11 Posted : 08 July 2013 09:01:04

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I would have to agree with the 25% mix.
However gentlemen,let me put the proverbial cat amongst the flying rats as it were.
Andy,you were saying in your article about the paint that as time went on the "ingredients" for the paint got harder for the Japanese to obtain,combine that with a possible rush repair job on board ship...or if in army guise an air frame fitter who didn't care,then maybe the 12.5% would be more accurate for a late model,of course this arguement flies out of the window if you are building a Pearl Harbour attacker.
Rob Nolli Illigitimi Carborundum!!!
Current Builds:HMS Victory,SV Thermopylae
arpurchase
#12 Posted : 08 July 2013 22:23:28

BigGrin Hi Rob
Your points are very valid and would make a difference to Late model Zero's as you say but I am going to do the Naval pearl harbour attack version so it's the 25% for me
regards
AndyCool

arpurchase
#13 Posted : 21 July 2013 14:23:14

BigGrin Hi All
I have decided after much deliberation and investigation that my Zero will have quite a radical difference to most others being built. The main differences will be propelor blade colours and my application of the Aotake preservative coating also the skinning of the aircraft will be different instead of half and half all the upper panels will be attached but one side will have the lower panels omitted to show the wing inners and also shielding the wing innards from dust ingress. As for the fuselage sides I will maybe remove some access/inspection panels instead of a bare side, I am planning to use nylon on the aircrafts movable surfaces that were fabric covered.
I expect there will be a strong reaction to my application of the Aotake that will either I hate it or love it but its how I think it may have looked
regards
AndyCool

arpurchase
#14 Posted : 21 July 2013 14:29:37

BigGrin Hi All
Here are a few pic's of the wing so far constructed with a coat of Aotake paint, you will notice it is not a uniform colour but has darker areas and lighter areas, those who look closely will notice the unpainted rib ,which needs to have some braces attached before it is painted
regards
Andy
arpurchase attached the following image(s):
P7210594.JPG
P7210595.JPG
P7210596.JPG
P7210597.JPG
P7210598.JPG
P7210599.JPG

Warthog
#15 Posted : 21 July 2013 19:27:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

Andy

Have you thought about using a clear skin for some of it? you could get a very good 3M Clear sheet and cut those using the original panels as stencils then gently using a rivet tool to show the rivet detail too!

Linky type thingy below

3M

Spence

arpurchase
#16 Posted : 21 July 2013 19:33:42

BigGrin Hi Warthog
Had not thought of that TBH now that opens up some avenue's especialy for the fuselage and maybe the wings too
definately something to think about and thanks for looking in and the idea
regards
AndyCool

Warthog
#17 Posted : 21 July 2013 19:37:56

Groups: registriert, Registered

Your welcome mate BigGrin

If you do go down that route there are some good idea's about airbrushing the clear panels so you blend the colour out so it looks like the paint is "thinning" to clear... seen it done on some of the tamiya "Clear" body F1 Cars..
arpurchase
#18 Posted : 21 July 2013 19:49:34

BigGrin Now that sounds intrestingCool

SennaMentalMe
#19 Posted : 21 July 2013 21:28:18

Groups:

Some nice work there Andy and the variations in the shade of Aotake is a neat approach - well done!! CoolThumpUp

A nice idea on the panels as well Spence and certainly some food for thought, thanks for that. I bet that blended paint/clear panel approach on the car looked cool!? CoolThumpUp

Kev BigGrin

arpurchase
#20 Posted : 21 July 2013 22:02:22

BigGrin Hi Kev
Thanks for looking in and your comments there always apreciated
Regards
AndyCool