Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Planking the launch Options
dedworthdog
#1 Posted : 11 June 2010 16:55:02

Groups: Registered

I am really having problems planking the launch, I am already on my 2nd issue 6, mainly because it is so fiddly and I have such big hands, so much so I am on the verge of cancelling my subscription. So advice from all you experienced modellers out there please. Will it easier to plank the Victory, when the time comes, or should I jack it in now? I don't need any moral boosting comments only good advice. Is there a cheap way to practice planking? I don't even mind if I build the Victory minus it's launch, I could always say it's away on a mission.
So in a nutshell Will planking the Victory be easier than the launch?
Follow my build to learn how to make firewood

CaptnBirdseye
#2 Posted : 11 June 2010 17:13:51

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Don't know about easer, but at least the planks will be thicker and less prone to breaking Huh At least i hope so....
dedworthdog
#3 Posted : 11 June 2010 17:27:03

From what I've seen in various books etc planks will be able to be dry fitted using pins etc whilst being marked for shaping
Follow my build to learn how to make firewood

Mark
#4 Posted : 11 June 2010 17:27:05

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

It should be easier. The planks are thicker, and the hull is larger (just a tad larger ;) ). You'll need to form the planks into a curve with a plank bender of some sort, or bend them with steam. You will also need to taper them, and chamfer the edges so they butt up nicely to each other. You will have more bending, fitting and shaping to do, but it should be less fiddly.

Hope that helps
Macmedal
#5 Posted : 11 June 2010 19:56:18

I found this difficult too, but I anticipate that planking the Victory itself will also be difficult, but for different reasons. The launch is difficult because it is small in scale, very fragile and the planks are very thin and delicate.

The victory will be more robust, easier to handle and sand, but as a consequence the planking will be harder to shape, bend and fit.

Just my opinion. Keep with it you are in good company I had to repair two of the ribs because of clumsiness and short temperBlushing

Rum Runner
#6 Posted : 19 June 2010 00:40:59

Dedworthdog - I agree the launch is small and difficult due the thickness of the planks. The Victory on the other hand is huge! in comparison and should be easier to handle, the planks will only need bending at the bow as can be seen if you have constructed the forward section yet. To do this you will either need a plank nipper (which nips the inside of the plank to bend it round) price about £12 or if you want to be extravagent you can purchase an electric plank bender for about £40 I cant say how efective these are as I have never used one! The cheapest method is to use a kettle and steam the planks in the area you require a bend and bend the plank around a convenient curved surface but beware steam and the piece of wood is HOT wear gloves. The planking at the stern may need bending and or twisting use the same method as the bow. One other consideration is due to the length of the hull I doubt if we will be supplied with full length planks, we may need 2 or 3 planks to run the full length, which will make handling a little easier. Next point is assuming you are not varnishing the wooden hull, you can use filler where the planks don't but up to each other and sand down to a smooth surface before painting hey presto all the patchwork is hidden. Some of these wooden boat models are made in a single skin of planks but most are constructed with a second layer of planks to form a strong skin, also any mess made on the first planking is covered. Dont throw away the launch just yet you may want to come back to it later.

What worries me is the rigging I can make a string mess with one mast let alone three! all the best with what ever your decision is

Rum Runner
Zeptrader
#7 Posted : 19 June 2010 10:00:12

Groups: New Members, Unapproved

I'll be honest from my experience with my first model HMS Bounty (Del Prado) I nearly gave up on the first planking, it looked crap..period But we had the second layer that was much thinner and far easier to lay, the result was well worth it.

Now if I understand this and no confirmation has been given by admin we are only having one layer of planking for the hull, pretty much the same as the launch. Yes the planks are easier to handle But they do open up other problems, problems that are part of this hobby.

My first attempt at planking was pure hell, but I wanted this boat, that was my motivation, It will be hard, one plank per day for example was a way I took it, dry fit, wet and bend, no glue until I was 100% this was correct and I liked the look of it, I'm sure the magazine will go through it step by step, we have Tomick for pro advice, plus the wealth of information on the net means slow step will lead to a masterpiece of a model..FACT

If you spend a few hours over at MSW and view the build log you will see many first timers and their attempt at first planking, go have a look, you may be surprised.

budgie
#8 Posted : 19 June 2010 10:30:48

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

BigGrin Hi dedgeworthdog there was a pdf file put on the forum about planking from a forum member(thankfully ive got a hard copy) sure Colin has it as a link
it talks about shaping planks only shaping one edge but also mentions using card cut same width of plank so if u get card to fit space use it as a template

the launch planks are thinner than main hull so try cutting strips of A4 printer paper which is quite transparent and draw line of shape required

i know i am having prob with launch myself so maybe think not in position to advise or maybe i am because of mistakes on first attempt
Capt Stedders
#9 Posted : 19 June 2010 11:00:32

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I haven't a clue about how much easier/more difficult(?) the full Victory build is likely to be, but I suspect that it will present its own, comparative demands.

As I am finding out, the planking of the launch's hull is merely one aspect of its construction that could, depending on experience, be described as 'challenging' - the decking, thwart supports, windlass (if you decide to follow the build instructions)and fitting the duckboards all have their peculiar demands on ones dexterity and patience.

As to whether you should chuck in the towel, only you can decide. But bending little bits of thin wood around compound curves is only one aspect that is fiddly - as someone else wrote on this topic - think ahead to the rigging.

*This morale sapping post was brought to you courtesy of your request for straight-talking answers*

Schnellboots on back burner

Tools.

jase
#10 Posted : 19 June 2010 11:30:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I found the launch, also my first attempt at planking, a git of a job. i have a lot of model building experience and i spent a lot of time on the planking 12 hours! my front ribs don't touch the planks, I have dips in the planks and one side is not as straight as the other. the answer for me was filler and paint.

I strongly recommend splitting the planks in two the thinner planks are easier to bend and shape

I am resigned to the fact i may have to use filler on the victory on top of a day per plank. also just under half the hull will be covered in copper plate hiding any imperfections

worst case if it goes wrong put some cannon holes in her side and a french flag on her!!
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
smichc
#11 Posted : 19 June 2010 14:25:47

I had a hell of a job doing the planking. I ended up painting it then appling some filler then rubbing it down again. after several times of doing this i am nearly happy with the finished launch.
as for the rigging i am worried about it but to me this is a learning curve. it is also a new skill to learn .

so dont bin it just try try and try again ... and try something over a and over and then try it in a differant way...

all the best and keep building

LETS BUILD AND BUILD
HMS VICTORY
HMS SURPRISE
Can you help me with the volturno
jonny7england
#12 Posted : 19 June 2010 15:55:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Well, as you have seen with my posted picture, I too have had one hell of a time with my launch so I went down to the local model shop and bought some filler!! I opened issue 8 and saw the part where you attach the keel....and Whooops!! The front part of the keel is totally out of shape to the hull of the launch at the front!!...Me thinks more filler will be needed...Cursing
Anybody else had this trouble?????
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
smichc
#13 Posted : 20 June 2010 01:21:34

i had the same trouble.. even worse while i was trying it in place mine broke.. so i ended up having to glue mine in two parts.. Cursing ... in the end i needed to fill a small hole between the hull of my launch and the keel but it seems fine now.. with a small bit of filler and a bit of paint...BigGrin BigGrin
LETS BUILD AND BUILD
HMS VICTORY
HMS SURPRISE
Can you help me with the volturno
Jenny Wren
#14 Posted : 20 June 2010 12:42:46

Groups: registriert, Registered

I had a lot of trouble but I'm here to learn and find expert builders help on the build diaries really helpful. Never mind the planking - just think of the fun we will have with all that rigging!!! Laugh Flapper
jonny7england
#15 Posted : 20 June 2010 13:01:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Jenny Wren wrote:
I had a lot of trouble but I'm here to learn and find expert builders help on the build diaries really helpful. Never mind the planking - just think of the fun we will have with all that rigging!!! Laugh Flapper

You can say that again...been there, done that and got the t-shirt LOL A belated welcome to the forum Jenny and hope you enjoy your build...BigGrin
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
viperek
#16 Posted : 29 June 2010 22:47:07

I ll be honest. When it came to planking ... god help me, it was terrible. For a minute i was considering buying brass pins to hold the planks but didnt really know where to get them and if they would fit. But in the end i got there. Maybe not the best result but when the paint comes it will fill the small gaps :)
alantait
#17 Posted : 29 June 2010 23:15:52

Hi Guys, got to admit the planking of the launch is one of the most fiddly builds i have attempted so far. even after wetting the planks prior to bending them. the larger the model the easier it should be. my planking on the uss constitution was my easiest yet (4 models built so far) the worst was the small launches bought as supplementary parts for her they were only 90mm in length.as for pins, the ones that come with the model are fine if you use the pinpusher on damp timber, as for small gaps some wood glue mixed with sandings fills them no problemBigGrin
dont give up, it will get easier with experience.
as jenny wren says - rigging - just wait - a degree in crochet work may helpLaugh
BigGrin
current builds

victory,endeavour,thermoplye,constitution
ginian
#18 Posted : 30 June 2010 23:37:42

Don't despair. Remember, your building this for fun so don't put any timescale on it. There are people on here who have built dozens of models but they all felt the same as you at the beginning.
BuilderBob
#19 Posted : 01 July 2010 20:53:32

Groups: Registered, registriert

This is the first wooden model I've ever attempted, so ignorance is bliss. I assumed the planking of the launch was difficult due to my total inexperience, so I just bashed on regardless, and eventually have ended up with something that looks almost like a small wooden launch.
Good to know I'm not alone in the "struggling but getting there club"
File Attachment(s):
Above aft.jpg (3,349kb) downloaded 70 time(s).
Port Fwd.jpg (2,683kb) downloaded 53 time(s).
Bow.jpg (2,660kb) downloaded 51 time(s).
budgie
#20 Posted : 01 July 2010 21:21:18

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

BuilderBob wrote:
This is the first wooden model I've ever attempted, so ignorance is bliss. I assumed the planking of the launch was difficult due to my total inexperience, so I just bashed on regardless, and eventually have ended up with something that looks almost like a small wooden launch.
Good to know I'm not alone in the "struggling but getting there club"

Cool know how u feel best advise i can give is get stuck in & go for it
you will be surprised how pleasing it will turn out Cool if it gets too much walk away Cursing it will still be there

Cool lets see some pics give the rest of us confidence that we are not alone and more importantly how u "sorted it"

Cool the forum belongs to not only those who get it right first time (green with envy & admiration) but to those who percivere & with tips & guidance will get us there with the help from the membersCool

im sure its not as bad as u make out