Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages <12
Planking the launch Options
budgie
#21 Posted : 01 July 2010 21:55:51

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

viperek wrote:
I ll be honest. When it came to planking ... god help me, it was terrible. For a minute i was considering buying brass pins to hold the planks but didnt really know where to get them and if they would fit. But in the end i got there. Maybe not the best result but when the paint comes it will fill the small gaps :)

LOL glad to read u made it thru the planking stage photos would be nice please in build diaries see how ure getting on that way u can get advise from members
Cool Glad i do
Cool stops me (sometimes) from making silly mistakes
BuilderBob
#22 Posted : 01 July 2010 22:37:41

Groups: Registered, registriert

Budgie I've attached pics to my original post, so you can see the results so far
jonny7england
#23 Posted : 05 July 2010 21:11:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Oh well, you asked for a pic...just two small pieces missing, can you spot them?? LOL
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
jonny7england
#24 Posted : 05 July 2010 21:15:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Must learn to size my photographs..(smacks hand)..looks like a ruddy battleship on here!! LOL
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
Dontshootme
#25 Posted : 06 July 2010 09:25:39

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

jonny7england wrote:
Oh well, you asked for a pic...just two small pieces missing, can you spot them?? LOL

Can't see them but I would guess it's the rubbing strips on the bottom having fought long & hard with them myself!!
Although I have issue 6 on back order to redo the launch after suffering a set back,I made my strips by sanding 2 cocktail sticks to just under half size,rounded off the ends & gently bent them to curve of hull,they look far more realistic than the bits of planking suggested in official build in my opinion.
Have to confess that the idea came from Jamie I think(apologies if it wasn't Jamie to whoever's idea it was)
Rob Nolli Illigitimi Carborundum!!!
Current Builds:HMS Victory,SV Thermopylae
jonny7england
#26 Posted : 06 July 2010 09:54:34

Hi Rob, actually it was the two L-shaped brackets on the stern which I accidentally left out, but good idea about the cocktail sticks though? Another use for cocktail sticks is with applying super glue to small parts such as on the canons for instance. Just dip the very point into super glue gel (notice the small droplet) and apply to where it is needed? Especially those hard to get at places..Blink
Jack Sparrow
#27 Posted : 06 July 2010 10:53:26

Groups:

Twas I who used cocktail sticks. BigGrin Twas so much easier and looked good!!Cool BigGrin
jonny7england
#28 Posted : 06 July 2010 11:09:32

Good idea Jack, and I reckon that there will be other areas where ye olde cocktail sticks can be employed on this build Sneaky
RussG
#29 Posted : 06 July 2010 11:22:21

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Looks well, hope mine comes out as good! Blink
Happy Building, Russ

On the workbench: My Victory Build Diary - Victory Cross Section Build Diary - Black Pearl Build Diary

Under the Bench: Millenium Falcon, Black Pearl x 2, Coral Victory Cross Section, De Lorean

Dontshootme
#30 Posted : 06 July 2010 14:27:18

My apolgies Jack...I knew it began with a J & could only think of Jamie Blushing ,but it was a damn good idea & does produce an excellent result
Rob Nolli Illigitimi Carborundum!!!
Current Builds:HMS Victory,SV Thermopylae
doobeiferkin
#31 Posted : 26 July 2010 19:55:01

The Victory is my first wooden ship build (I made some plastic kits when I was younger). I found the launch planking very difficult. The ribs of the launch did not seem to align in a perfect curve and a couple of the ribs still do not attach to the planks. I am not sure if this is an inaccuracy in the model or because I did not sand them down correctly. To fix these problems I filled, sanded, painted, filled, sanded and painted until the hull looked ok. I also nearly ruined the whole thing whrn I tried to cut the launch from the base using side cutters as shown in the magazine. Subsequently I have purchased a set of draper modelling tools which include a fine saw blade.

There are a couple of bracing pieces in the bow which the magazine said not to glue. I glued them anyway! When I remove them I made a hole where I had sanded down the hull too much.

I nearly gave up and was thinking about re-ordering the launch parts but I persisted and I am quite pleased when the end result. Only I (and my partner) will know what I went through. In the process I also learnt a few extra words which I used in time of great stress!! (I thought this hobby was supposed to be relaxing)
Sundance
#32 Posted : 01 August 2010 17:22:18

Hi Guys I've built "Titanic" "Victory"and "Bismarck" (most difficult because of the tiniest brass parts) so planking is a doddle compared to this build. A good tip is to hold a white card in behind the mast when you are doing the rat lines so you can see what you're doing against a white background. The small wooden blocks are a bit fiddly to begin with but after a couple of dozen it gets easier! The main problems I've found is the rigging between masts, spars etc I've still got some to do on my first Victory but I'll do both together when the time comes. Planking clamps are brill for holding planks in place try Miskin models 12 for about £8 invaluable. Sundance
nelson
#33 Posted : 05 August 2010 11:56:22

Wheres the fun in it being easy. The challenge is the fun.IS there anyone out there engoying building this incredible model or what............
rivergypsy
#34 Posted : 07 August 2010 19:55:03

budgie wrote:
viperek wrote:
I ll be honest. When it came to planking ... god help me, it was terrible. For a minute i was considering buying brass pins to hold the planks but didnt really know where to get them and if they would fit. But in the end i got there. Maybe not the best result but when the paint comes it will fill the small gaps :)

LOL glad to read u made it thru the planking stage photos would be nice please in build diaries see how ure getting on that way u can get advise from members
Cool Glad i do
Cool stops me (sometimes) from making silly mistakes

I discovered by chance that you can actually bend the launches planking to the required shape with your thumb nail and can even induce a modest 'twist' in it if required! I simply pinched the dry plank between finger and thumb nail then carefully pulled the strip of timber (backwards)through the 'pinch' whilst apply a modest amount of nail pressure as it progressed. The result after just one pass was a distinctly curved plank. Repeating the process thereafter induced as much curve as was required to fit around the front ribs and a shallower curve for the rear ribs.
Job done, and it's a good'un LOL

Rivergypsy.
rivergypsy
#35 Posted : 08 August 2010 17:10:47

dedworthdog wrote:
I am really having problems planking the launch, I am already on my 2nd issue 6, mainly because it is so fiddly and I have such big hands, so much so I am on the verge of cancelling my subscription. So advice from all you experienced modellers out there please. Will it easier to plank the Victory, when the time comes, or should I jack it in now? I don't need any moral boosting comments only good advice. Is there a cheap way to practice planking? I don't even mind if I build the Victory minus it's launch, I could always say it's away on a mission.
So in a nutshell Will planking the Victory be easier than the launch?

Dude...welcome to the world of micro-fiddling. This is a place where the size of your fingers, your pulse whilst focusing upon a micro operation and your frame of mind at the time you're doing the job all contribute to the net result and frequently Put you off whilst doing so.
Yes, the launch is a son-of-a-lady to construct in terms of plank forming...but it ain't a demon beyond your grasp either dude, big hands or not, trust me.
Did you know for instance that you can shape/bend the strips of wood for the launch between you finger and thumb rather than steaming over a kettle or with an expensive electric plank bender?

Rivergypsy.
rivergypsy
#36 Posted : 08 August 2010 17:48:25

budgie wrote:
BuilderBob wrote:
This is the first wooden model I've ever attempted, so ignorance is bliss. I assumed the planking of the launch was difficult due to my total inexperience, so I just bashed on regardless, and eventually have ended up with something that looks almost like a small wooden launch.
Good to know I'm not alone in the "struggling but getting there club"

Cool know how u feel best advise i can give is get stuck in & go for it
you will be surprised how pleasing it will turn out Cool if it gets too much walk away Cursing it will still be there

Cool lets see some pics give the rest of us confidence that we are not alone and more importantly how u "sorted it"

Cool the forum belongs to not only those who get it right first time (green with envy & admiration) but to those who percivere & with tips & guidance will get us there with the help from the membersCool

im sure its not as bad as u make out

No dude...you ain't alone. I'm a carpenter by trade and subsequently armed with a shed load of experience and tactical knowledge, but so help me this damned vessel is -by its very nature- trying hard to test my paractical skills to the extreme.
On such a basis those of you who do not-like me- play with wood for a living, take heart, because I am also being tested anew.

Rivergypsy.