Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Stut2 Zero fighter build Options
stut2
#1 Posted : 16 June 2013 22:16:25

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Well I thought it was about time I contributed a bit more so I am going to do a build diary of the Zero fighter.
I'm going to apologize in advance, my build diary may be a bit slow dependent on how much time I have available and hopefully I won't bore you too much with anything seen or already done.
I am going to do half frame and half skinned(plain) but will paint the inside of the cockpit and engine details and maybe some other bits I hope to do the model some justice.

So here we go
I started on the propeller blades well in fact I started on one(told you this is going to be a bit slow) I managed to de-burr the blade OK I went from a file to the wet and dry and took my time in fact I reckon about one hour in all for the first blade from start to the polish however I have not applied any sealer as yet will do the three all in one go, I found the fine wet and dry was leaving too many scratches so I thought I would look for a finer grade somewhere in the house but it turned out to be the same, so I thought I would give one of the sanding blocks I bought when I ordered the metal primer a try, I chose the blue one as this seemed to be the finest and indeed it worked a treat so just needed a polish

Now a word of warning on what I did nextBlushing (although most of you will think what was he thinking of) and I don't know what possessed me to do it but I had a good sniff of the Brasso and blinking Nora I nearly jumped out of my chairWoot Woot , I can only think that I must have been trying to invoke some childhood memory as when I was a wee lad we had some brass knickknacks cant really remember what they were think they were Barbie and Ken's camping set(frying pan, kettle maybe some pots) so used to give them a polish along with the copper fireplace, well it was the mid seventies! I should also hasten to add, not to sniff Pure Non-Brewed Condiment Essence 16:1Woot as this has the same affect(yeah my folks owned a chippy) also wear a mask when painting a large area with red floor paintWoot(please note I'm not a substance abuser)I just remembered I had a sniff of a Dry Wipe Marker in work the other dayLaugh

Anyhow once I came down off the ceiling I gave a good polish on the blade what a difference it makes, i'll most likely give them a final polish before applying the clear metal primer, so here we are one down two to go just got to find a couple of hours to complete them.

please feel free to make a comment, advice, abuse or whatever, in fact please do, as it will be a while before next updateBigGrin
regards
Simon
Tomick
#2 Posted : 16 June 2013 22:22:17

Groups:

Great start Simon and looking good Cool
arpurchase
#3 Posted : 16 June 2013 22:27:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Simon
nice start on the prop, micromesh will give you a very nice shine too ,its available in several grades and you will see a difference
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

stut2
#4 Posted : 16 June 2013 22:45:39

Cool Thanks Mr T.
Thanks Andy I had forgotten about the micromesh, I remember you had mentioned it before on your D51 build post(had to go and quickly check it was you!) so will be ordering some in as will want to try it on both the Zero and D51
regards
Simon
arpurchase
#5 Posted : 16 June 2013 23:01:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Simon
NP on the mesh another avenue im looking at is to use an Alclad ali finish on my Zero, Here's a link

http://alclad2.com/finishes/high-shine/

This may be another way to go
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

SennaMentalMe
#6 Posted : 16 June 2013 23:28:04

Groups:

A great start Simon, well done and nice to see yet another Zero build being posted. CoolThumpUp

Between us we'll soon have enough for an attack on Pearl Harbour!! LOL LOL

Looking forward to seeing your progress.ThumpUp

Kev BigGrin
stut2
#7 Posted : 16 June 2013 23:33:21

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Hi Simon
NP on the mesh another avenue im looking at is to use an Alclad ali finish on my Zero, Here's a link

http://alclad2.com/finishes/high-shine/

This may be another way to go
regards
AndyCool

Cheers Andy, for the info will deffo use for the D51 and also had a thought seeing as I maybe be getting a full pack one replacement for the Zero(due to the screwdriver incident) I may have a go on the blades.
regards
Simon
arpurchase
#8 Posted : 16 June 2013 23:41:46

BigGrin Hi Simon
good idea
AndyCool

stut2
#9 Posted : 16 June 2013 23:46:17

SennaMentalMe wrote:
A great start Simon, well done and nice to see yet another Zero build being posted. CoolThumpUp

Between us we'll soon have enough for an attack on Pearl Harbour!! LOL LOL

Looking forward to seeing your progress.ThumpUp

Kev BigGrin

cheers Kev, yeah only a few hundred more we need
jase
#10 Posted : 17 June 2013 02:54:40

Hi Simon,

Good to see you posting. really nice job so far. Glad you plan to half skin that is how I would have gone. Will be following with interest.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
stut2
#11 Posted : 17 June 2013 08:20:40

jase wrote:
Hi Simon,

Good to see you posting. really nice job so far. Glad you plan to half skin that is how I would have gone. Will be following with interest.

Thanks Jase
I thought it was about time, as you have to give something backBigGrin
regards Simon
pemberg
#12 Posted : 17 June 2013 09:57:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Simon, nice start to the build. Like you I am going for the half clad but fully painted so will be watching your progress with interest.

Graeme
stut2
#13 Posted : 17 June 2013 17:47:31

pemberg wrote:
Hi Simon, nice start to the build. Like you I am going for the half clad but fully painted so will be watching your progress with interest.

Graeme

Hi Graeme
Thanks I have chosen not to paint the cladding as I don't have enough experience in aircraft painting but I think I would still go for the un painted look on the cladding as I like the look however I have been knowen to change my mind at the last minute so may decide differently
Regards
Simon
Warthog
#14 Posted : 06 November 2013 19:23:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

Hi Simon

Any progress on your build?

Spencer
stut2
#15 Posted : 06 November 2013 21:57:23

Warthog wrote:

Hi Simon

Any progress on your build?

Spencer

Hi Spencer,
Yes she is slowly coming along I haven't forgotten about updating my build log, have been taking pics along the way ready to post the next update but I have had to deal with a lot of time bandits for the last few months, at present I only have a couple of hours spare a week to work on my builds so just need to make some time available.
I am kinda of embarrassedBlushing not contributing more on a regular basis to the forum I guess a lot of members who post regular are just as busy as me but still manage to do it, hopefully I will post a update soon.
I have to take my hat off to all who make the forum what it is and find time to post on a regular basis.
My mother always taught me "you've got to give something back" I guess I am not living up to that at present!

regards
Simon

Warthog
#16 Posted : 06 November 2013 23:27:16

Groups: registriert, Registered

Great to hear your still at it Simon and be nice to see some pics of your progress but it's not a race my friend so take your time.. Nothing to be embarrassed about either! The forum is here for all to share in one way or another wether contributing in some way with builds or giving advice. Glad your busy and still building BigGrin

Spence
stut2
#17 Posted : 08 November 2013 05:47:44

Warthog wrote:

Great to hear your still at it Simon and be nice to see some pics of your progress but it's not a race my friend so take your time.. Nothing to be embarrassed about either! The forum is here for all to share in one way or another wether contributing in some way with builds or giving advice. Glad your busy and still building BigGrin

Spence

Thanks Spencer,
Appreciate your kind comments
Simon
experten
#18 Posted : 08 November 2013 06:59:06

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Official Builds

I completely agree with the other comments above, in that it is not a race! In fact, you'll be able to benefit greatly from sitting back, reading through the various build logs, and figuring out whet the pitfalls are. The biggest issue is the proper adhesive. i have found that Loctite 495, and 496 are the best way to go. For the wing trusses, I used a product called "Gator Grip" that is available here in the States.

It is a kit that is simply fantastic. I like it so much, I subscribed to another one!

Enjoy your build, and I'll look forward to more pics. The prop blade looks fantastic.
Tired, Old, and Cranky!
Tomick
#19 Posted : 08 November 2013 09:09:10

Groups:

Good to soe another Zero build diary and congrat's on your first medal Cool