Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages <123>
SOTS Build log by cuandv Options
Hans
#21 Posted : 24 June 2013 10:07:02

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Marcel wrote:
I am from PAROW, CAPE TOWN, building the Sovereign. As a newbie to this type of hobbie, I had to do a lot of research on the net for tips and info. I am on issue 12 and found that the decks do not align horisontal in the slots. Luckily its not glue to the keel. I filed it to align perfectly.

I need to know if the 1st deck section at the trans-am (part 21 : 33 is supposed to be at an angle of +-20 degrees? Confused

Hi Marcel and welcome to the forum. You will find most of the answers to your questions on the UK builders site as well as MR.T official build.
Rgds, Hans
"It's okay to make mistakes. mistakes are our teachers - they help us to to learn, even if it is painfully"
Current Build:
Endeavour Cross section,D51
Completed: HMS Victory
Under the bench: Endeavour x 2,Sovereign of the Seas, Akagi and The Black Pearl!HMS Victory Cross Section
cuandv
#22 Posted : 25 June 2013 11:04:28

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Guys, a few questions (Please fell free to show my how "Beginner" I actually am here :)

1. I have attached the lower deck and glued it in and I have also attached the side walls but I find that the side walls fit in to the ribs a little skew because the slots in the ribs are not straight. IS this correct?

2. Parts 26/27, at the back of the ship, its says to fit it in to the slot while glueing in the side walls but then to remove it again for later fitting. I made the mistake of glueing it in now....Do you know if this would cause a problem?

3. Painting? I am keen to paint the side walls black. Is this advisable now or do I wait?

Cheers
Cuan
Current Build:
HMS SOTS
HMS Victory
HMS Surprise
willie
#23 Posted : 25 June 2013 12:28:46

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service Medal

no1 if you mean gun support beams they should be glued flush to the deck but if you have glued them it dose not matter they are for holding the dummy guns

no2 not quite shoure what you mean
no3 paint when fitted and the glue is dry
Hans
#24 Posted : 25 June 2013 14:43:30

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Cuandv.
I think that if you post a pic of your problem area, it will help the members give a speedy answer. It is sometime difficult to envisage your problem, as builders are at all different stages of their builds. Hope this helps
Rgds, Hans
"It's okay to make mistakes. mistakes are our teachers - they help us to to learn, even if it is painfully"
Current Build:
Under the bench: Endeavour x 2,Sovereign of the Seas, Akagi and The Black Pearl!HMS Victory Cross Section
Gandale
#25 Posted : 25 June 2013 23:29:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Cuandv, what I did was to sand the lower edge of the dummy gun supports so that it was flush with the deck and glued against the ribs.... worked for me, so far!!!!....

Hope this helps..

Regards

Alan
cuandv
#26 Posted : 01 July 2013 12:42:42

Thanks Guys.
Below Pictures are for Marcel wanting the side views
I think this is best as I can get it..
cuandv attached the following image(s):
IMG_0158.JPG
IMG_0159.JPG
IMG_0160.JPG
Current Build:
HMS SOTS
HMS Victory
HMS Surprise
Marcel
#27 Posted : 07 August 2013 08:34:21

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

cuandv wrote:
Guys I have been collecting issues at CNA every week.
I am up to issue 12 so far and working on it. Here are a few pictures of the ship so far..
let me know your thoughts and more importantly, how are you coming along with the same parts...

1st pic: Top view of the ship

2nd pic: Started building the launch. this has proved to be very challenging because of the hull planking. This is the first time for me.

3rd pic: Adding in the sides on top of the lower deck. This was a challenge because of the bending required to get the side to fit into the ribs frames correctly.

4th pic: top view of the lower deck with sides

5th pic: Sides being clamped in. I left the clamps on for 2 days because of the bending required

I found steaming the side planks using the ketlle, while making a cup of coffee, softens the wood which I then set in position without glue to dry. This pre-form the shape of the plank and allowa it to sseat neat in place, taking out the strain of the plank.
"Rather try and fail than had failed to try".

Sovereign of the Seas

Model Space forum: Marcel's build
Marcel
#28 Posted : 07 August 2013 08:43:16

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

cuandv wrote:
Guys, a few questions (Please fell free to show my how "Beginner" I actually am here :)

1. I have attached the lower deck and glued it in and I have also attached the side walls but I find that the side walls fit in to the ribs a little skew because the slots in the ribs are not straight. IS this correct?

2. Parts 26/27, at the back of the ship, its says to fit it in to the slot while glueing in the side walls but then to remove it again for later fitting. I made the mistake of glueing it in now....Do you know if this would cause a problem?

3. Painting? I am keen to paint the side walls black. Is this advisable now or do I wait?

Cheers
Cuan

You have to take it off again. Their are still a lot of parts to be fitted to it before you can glue it to the built. Follow this link to answer your question
http://forum.model-space...osts&t=4957&p=9

Sovereign of the Seas

Marcel
#29 Posted : 07 August 2013 09:03:41

cuandv wrote:
Hi Marcel,

I will take some side shots and get them up here soon.
I was thinking about fillers inside the hull but I am not sure yet.
Need to get my backside into gear.

I am also building the Victory as well. In terms of the decking, What I am going to do is buy strips from a timber shop and get those decked onto the SOTS. I have decked the Victory and it makes the world of difference..

Happy Building.
Cuan

They have dark Maple wood strips (and other light fine grain wood) ideal for defenition. The finer grain suits this built. I tried Bamboo, but its a pain in the but. Give them a call. They know their business
http://jixhobbies.co.za/Contactus/contactus.asp

Sovereign of the Seas

Marcel
#30 Posted : 07 August 2013 09:12:46

cuandv wrote:
Thanks Guys.

I will advise you to use the Balsa wood filler in the front of bow
Marcel attached the following image(s):
HMS SOTS bow filler.jpg
HMS SOTS Bow filler side.jpg

Sovereign of the Seas

Marcel
#31 Posted : 07 August 2013 09:53:43

I noticed that the deck planks are not align with the rest of the deck planks. With a bit of tweaking with sand paper it was sorted.

This is a crucial stage to perferctly align and space the ribs to the false keel to avoid nasty gaps Cursing when start planking the hull.

Marcel attached the following image(s):
Lower deck 2.jpg
Lower deck 4.jpg
Lower deck 5.jpg

Sovereign of the Seas

Marcel
#32 Posted : 07 August 2013 10:10:57

cuandv wrote:
Thanks Guys.

Thanks for the pics. It solves a lot of my worries.
I can give you a tip... I also made the same "mistake" as you as to glue the deck planks wth the guide numbers facing up. Make sure to use the blank side up in the next deck layer to avoid it sticking out like a sore thumb.

Sovereign of the Seas

Marcel
#33 Posted : 07 August 2013 10:18:58

KobusBeukes wrote:
Hi Cuandv

Good to see another SA Build of SOTS.

I have started my build diary under the Members Build Diaries, SOTS. I have completed upto issue 7 and received my next four issues, 8 - 11, yesterday. LOL

I should be posting an update over the weekend.

Regards

I contact Jacklin Enterprises about our gifts. Apperantly they are waiting for stock. Did anyone recieved any gifts yet?
I have recieved only my free issue and no tools / binders. We should make fire under them because they tricked us in signining up.

Sovereign of the Seas

KobusBeukes
#34 Posted : 07 August 2013 10:28:30

Marcel wrote:

I contact Jacklin Enterprises about our gifts. Apperantly they are waiting for stock. Did anyone recieved any gifts yet?
I have recieved only my free issue and no tools / binders. We should make fire under them because they tricked us in signining up.

Hi Marcel

I've received four deliveries from Jacklin to-date and no gifts. I was waiting for the rotary tool with the 5th delivery, but I decided to buy myself a Dremmel instead of waiting for the "free" gift.

Enjoy the build
Kobus

Current Build
HMS Sovereign of the Seas - First Build
cuandv
#35 Posted : 07 August 2013 12:58:10

Thanks for the pics Marcel.
I am building 2 ships at the same time, SOTS and HMS Victory and I have just completed planking the hull of the victory (well still in the sanding filling stage), and I must agree, I will definitely use Balsa infills on the SOTS.

The victory looks fine, but the planking process would be so much easier to do with infills, especially when it comes to the thin Stealer planks that need to get fitted at times and don't have a rib to glue onto.
In the Victory I have merely glued them to the plank above and below it.

I have only completed my SOTS build up until issue 12, so when I am completed with the hull of the Victory, I will get back onto the SOTS and complete Issue 13-19. BigGrin

Planking the hull is fun but very frustrating at times. I found that soaking them in boiling water for around 5 minutes works much quicker to make them 'bendable', but remember to taper before soaking otherwise it just gums up your sanding sheet/block. Angry

happy Building.
Current Build:
HMS SOTS
HMS Victory
HMS Surprise
Marcel
#36 Posted : 07 August 2013 17:27:12

cuandv wrote:
Thanks for the pics Marcel.
I am building 2 ships at the same time, SOTS and HMS Victory and I have just completed planking the hull of the victory (well still in the sanding filling stage), and I must agree, I will definitely use Balsa infills on the SOTS.

The victory looks fine, but the planking process would be so much easier to do with infills, especially when it comes to the thin Stealer planks that need to get fitted at times and don't have a rib to glue onto.
In the Victory I have merely glued them to the plank above and below it.

I have only completed my SOTS build up until issue 12, so when I am completed with the hull of the Victory, I will get back onto the SOTS and complete Issue 13-19. BigGrin

Planking the hull is fun but very frustrating at times. I found that soaking them in boiling water for around 5 minutes works much quicker to make them 'bendable', but remember to taper before soaking otherwise it just gums up your sanding sheet/block. Angry

happy Building.

I prefer the heat method to do planking. In the Victory they use apple wood that is ideal for heating. You can use the spare apple wood planks of the Victory to replace it with the hard bamboo in the SOTS. Apple wood works much better for model built than the recent added bamboo that breaks easy.

Sovereign of the Seas

cuandv
#37 Posted : 08 August 2013 09:16:04

My Dad is building the SOTS as well and he also prefers the heating method over a soldering iron. I think everyone has their tried and tested methods.Cool

In terms of the balsa infills, what did you do to get them in. I would only probably stick them around the bow and stern (where the planks bend the most), but any ideas of purchasing and then finally shoving it in the hull...?
Current Build:
HMS SOTS
HMS Victory
HMS Surprise
Gandale
#38 Posted : 08 August 2013 10:29:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

cuandv wrote:
My Dad is building the SOTS as well and he also prefers the heating method over a soldering iron. I think everyone has their tried and tested methods.Cool

In terms of the balsa infills, what did you do to get them in. I would only probably stick them around the bow and stern (where the planks bend the most), but any ideas of purchasing and then finally shoving it in the hull...?

Hi Cuandv, I went down the route of using balsa infills for the whole of my SOTS hull and covered it extensively in my build diary. You may find it useful if you are considering going down the same route.... Hope this helps...

Regards

Alan
cuandv
#39 Posted : 08 August 2013 10:38:30

Thanks Alan,
will check it out!
Current Build:
HMS SOTS
HMS Victory
HMS Surprise
Hans
#40 Posted : 11 August 2013 18:41:10

Hi Cuan. You can buy balsa of any shape, form, length and size you want at any hobby store, in particular those that deal with DIY model aeroplanes, others will be able to order any size you require.
Rgds, Hans
Current Build: