Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages <123
SOTS Build log by cuandv Options
cuandv
#41 Posted : 11 September 2013 09:39:03

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Right, finally back onto SOTS after I have put my Victory Aside for a little "rest".

So I have stockpiled issues 13-23 and I have started on 13/14/15 in these pictures below.
My launch has proved to be somewhat of a challenge as one of the pieces broke off.

What I found is that I didn't use the saw to get the launch off from the mounting, I just used my nifty pair of cutters to clip each piece off thus not causing any damage.

Question: On the gun supports which I have painted black, I have also painted the surrounding area around them black as well. I didn't see this as an issue, any one to comment?

Another thing is, I have already mistakingly glued the last piece on the end of the ship thus making the fitting of the parts of issue 15 very difficult. Do you guys think I should get this part off before attaching the pieces of issue 15.

Cheers
cuandv attached the following image(s):
IMG_0582.JPG
IMG_0583.JPG
IMG_0610.JPG
IMG_0611.JPG
IMG_0613.JPG
IMG_0615.JPG
IMG_0616.JPG
Current Build:
HMS SOTS
HMS Victory
HMS Surprise
jonny7england
#42 Posted : 11 September 2013 10:47:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi cuandv...You are coming along well with your build. Yes, I used small cutters instead of a razor saw to detach my first Vic boat from its support frame..And as for painting your gun deck area, I think that you'll find that most of it will be hidden by planking anyway? Keep the pics coming..Great work!!
ThumpUp
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
cuandv
#43 Posted : 11 September 2013 10:51:14

Thank you. I am hoping that the painting of the launch will hide all of the small gaps between the planking. Will do that tonight and see Cool
Current Build:
HMS SOTS
HMS Victory
HMS Surprise
KobusBeukes
#44 Posted : 11 September 2013 17:35:43

cuandv wrote:
Thank you. I am hoping that the painting of the launch will hide all of the small gaps between the planking. Will do that tonight and see Cool

Hi Cuan

Looking great thus far! I used woodfiller on my launch to fill the gaps, then sanded it down before I painted it and it came out quite nice.

Why don't you move, or request Mr T to move it for you, your build diary to the rest of the members build diaries?

Regards
Kobus

Current Build
HMS Sovereign of the Seas - First Build
cuandv
#45 Posted : 12 September 2013 09:04:02

Hi Kobus,

Did the wood filler thing last night and it worked well, Thanks.
Have asked Tomick to move this build log to the right area.

Cheers
Cuan
Current Build:
HMS SOTS
HMS Victory
HMS Surprise
KobusBeukes
#46 Posted : 12 September 2013 12:59:18

Hi Cuan

Welcome to all the Build diaries!LOL

After I airbrushed the launch you didn't even noticed the wood filler.

I'm busy planking the SOTS and is upto issue 18 at present.

Enjoy the build!BigGrin
Kobus

Current Build
HMS Sovereign of the Seas - First Build
cuandv
#47 Posted : 20 March 2014 10:43:03

Shoo, SOTS strips finally done, well 99% at least.
I had to sand down the strips as I had a few slight bumps, but the sanding was very light and has made a great difference. Have put SOTS aside now to carry on with the Victory build, but it seems that there is a hell of a lot of work coming in the next few issues.
IMG_1064.JPG
IMG_1065.JPG
IMG_1066.JPG
IMG_1067.JPG
IMG_1068.JPG
Current Build:
HMS SOTS
HMS Victory
HMS Surprise
Gandale
#48 Posted : 20 March 2014 22:47:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Coming along really nicely CU, nicely done.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
cuandv
#49 Posted : 26 June 2014 11:12:22

Thanks Alan.
As a first model build I am making many mistakes, especially compared to the excellent builds of the likes yourself, Karl ad others.

I have an issue though, I have just painted the red line across the hull d was as careful as possible, I guess, but when removed the masking tape I noticed there is a bit of "paint bleed" and the red paint has leaked a bit.
How could I fix this? I know that the bottom part of the hull will be panted with off white colour but I worry about the red still coming through the white paint?
IMG_1756.JPG
IMG_1755.JPG
IMG_1754.JPG
IMG_1753.JPG
IMG_1752.JPG
IMG_1744.JPG
IMG_1743.JPG
IMG_1676.JPG
IMG_1675.JPG
IMG_1673.JPG
IMG_1673.JPG
Current Build:
HMS SOTS
HMS Victory
HMS Surprise
karl1113
#50 Posted : 26 June 2014 19:22:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

hi.the paint bleed problem is easy to fix,when you mask up,always paint along the mask line with clear varnish,this seals the tape,then paint in the colour you want. if you want to clean up existing lines,then you need to sand back the bleed,and redo with new masking tape and then varnish and repaint.BigGrin
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
cuandv
#51 Posted : 26 June 2014 19:39:03

Thank you Karl. I was hoping there would be an easier way to get out of the bleed fix but I guess I will have to sand it away as you have mentioned.
Thanks for your help with preventing the bleed in the next builds.
Glare
Current Build:
HMS SOTS
HMS Victory
HMS Surprise
Gandale
#52 Posted : 26 June 2014 23:18:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi CU, sorry about the late reply but have been at work all day.... Mistakes on a build are fine, it is how we all learn as we embark on the various builds, putting them right also adds to the experience.... Think your build is coming along very nicely indeed and am sure will look really grand when finished..... As for your paint bleed question, I think Karl has answered the way to avoid any bleeding and the only thing I would add is to make sure you use a good quality masking tape. It may be a little more expensive but the results are far better....Cool Cool .. Keep posting and I'll keep following....

Regards

Alan
cuandv
#53 Posted : 27 June 2014 10:36:36

Thanks Alan.
I will do that. Rather pay more and get the job done better.

Regards sanding the bled paint parts away, what is the best option here as I dont want to create "grooves" in the strips from the extra sanding?
I see in issue 40, there are 2 strips that go on each side of the red paint stripe, and this will cover up the bled paint so I wonder if I even need to bother cleaning the bled paint.
Current Build:
HMS SOTS
HMS Victory
HMS Surprise
Gandale
#54 Posted : 27 June 2014 23:29:29

cuandv wrote:
Thanks Alan.
I will do that. Rather pay more and get the job done better.

Regards sanding the bled paint parts away, what is the best option here as I dont want to create "grooves" in the strips from the extra sanding?
I see in issue 40, there are 2 strips that go on each side of the red paint stripe, and this will cover up the bled paint so I wonder if I even need to bother cleaning the bled paint.

Hi CU, good thinking there.... You are correct in your assessment, the line both top and bottom of the red strip will be covered by the black strips (wales) so providing the bleed isn't too bad then you should get away with it... However, I would double check all the measurements and study the pics both in the mags and other build diaries to make sure your red strip is in the right place and of the correct width along the entire length.... Cool Cool Would also use a fine sanding strip and light sand along the lines to help ensure your wales get a good grip when glued..... Cool Cool ..

Regards

Alan
karl1113
#55 Posted : 28 June 2014 10:38:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I need to clear up a few thing here, sanding the bleeds is what I meant, not the wood,lightly and carefully just sand the paint line,I use 180 wet and dry used wet,and a damp cloth to wipe away the paint, as gandale said,measurement are paramount because the decorations only just fit between the wales,and the shroud channels. by leaving the bleeds you may be changing the measurements slightly,and problems will occur.good luck.
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
cuandv
#56 Posted : 27 November 2014 08:18:32

SPent 3 months on the SOTS build up until issue 63, but I have now put it away for awhile to spend some time on my Victory build.

For a first time builder, I found many things a challenge, especially the gun port linings.
IMG_1747.JPG
IMG_1752.JPG
IMG_1753.JPG
IMAG0044.jpg
IMAG0045.jpg
IMAG0042.jpg
IMAG0041.jpg
IMAG0046.jpg
IMAG0047.jpg
Current Build:
HMS SOTS
HMS Victory
HMS Surprise
Gandale
#57 Posted : 27 November 2014 09:09:57

Looking great CU, she really is coming along very nicely.. very well done.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan