Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Fiber optics. Options
Stupot
#1 Posted : 26 June 2013 15:29:25

Groups: Registered

Hi All, i just received my fiber optic cable from the US & i'm about to start building my AMT model & i was wondering what's the best way to cut the fibers for the strongest lighting. I have a 64 strand cable. Also, i read that melting the end of the cable slightly is suppost to give a better effect. Is this true & how should i do this? Thanks for your time guys. Stuart.
Plymouth57
#2 Posted : 26 June 2013 23:45:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Stupot.

The best way to cut the individual fibres is with a very sharp blade like a safety razor blade for instance.
Yes it is true that heating up the end of the fibre will increase the light output, what we are doing is actually forming a bulbous lens at the tip so the diameter of the fibre is increased, transmitting more light.
The easiest way to achieve this is with a simple candle flame, hold the fibre a few inches away from the flame and then SLOWLY bring it towards the candle. When it gets within range of the heat of the flame it will begin to bulge slowly as the tip literally melts into the lens shape. Keep it there for a fraction too long and the tip begins to smoulder or even catch alight! If it does either just cut off the end and try again.
It sounds difficult and even dangerous but don't worry, with a little practise it becomes surprisingly easy to get it right.
You can either make the holes in the hull slightly bigger to accomodate the lens or else counter sink the hole on the outside of the hull, thread the fibre through and THEN form the lens and when cool pull the fibre back in so it sits in the countersink. Cool

Hope this helps

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
Stupot
#3 Posted : 27 June 2013 03:51:54

Cheers Robin, I'll give it a go. I've got loads of cable to practice on. Thanks mate.
LrdSatyr8
#4 Posted : 16 March 2015 15:30:52

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I've been working with fiber for a long time myself. There are 2 methods I've used. The "mushrooming" method that Plymouth discribed above and the "short length" method, which basically means you leave about 1/4 to 1/2 sticking out of the holes that is predrilled and glue your fibers in place and then do you painting around the little hairs of fibers once its completed. Once the paint is dry you clip the hairs off. The clipped off ends produce a non-even jagged appearance to the lights giving them a more realistic natural looking feel to them instead of a single pinpoint of light.

One thing I can't stress enough is the type of glue you use. I highly stress not to use a superglue (when ever possible) simply because it can actually damage the fibers themselves and in some cases actually melt the fiber itself. A simple Elmer's white glue is totally sufficiant for holding the fibers in place and even thou it takes longer to dry won't damage the fibers at all.

However, one method I developed during the lighting of a Enterprise 1701-D I did awhile back came from the need to light elongated windows. I called it the "scraping" method. In that case a single point of light wouldn't work. I needed to light the entire length of the window itself. I achieved this by drilling the fiber hole at an angle of about 45 degrees at the top of the "window" and then scraping the side of the exposed fiber making a flat section the length of the window and gluing it down the length with superglue (yeah I know, I just told you not to use superglue for fibers, but in this case, it was necessary and since it was down the length of the window at the tip of the fiber it melted the fiber enough to actually light the entire length of the window). The effect was totally worthwhile.

I realize this is an older topic but I hope I've given some new information on how to use fibers that somebody finds helpful in their builds!
darbyvet
#5 Posted : 16 March 2015 16:03:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

The other problem with superglue is that it makes the fibers very brittle and they will break instead of bending.I use the wire ties from loaves of bread to tie bundles of fibers together and then glue the end of the tie to the model.I use white glue to actually anchor the individual fibers.
I use a soldering iron to melt the end of the fibers to make a lens.If you hold the end of the fiber near the soldering iron it will melt into a nice lens for you.

For long strips of lighting I use clear acrylic rod and drill out one end and glue an Led into the end.I then paint half of the diameter of the rod silver or white so it reflects the light. As long as you use a bright Led it works well.

Carl
LrdSatyr8
#6 Posted : 16 March 2015 16:22:27

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

darbyvet wrote:
For long strips of lighting I use clear acrylic rod and drill out one end and glue an Led into the end.I then paint half of the diameter of the rod silver or white so it reflects the light. As long as you use a bright Led it works well.

I've thought about doing that myself but instead of painting with silver, using aluminum foil and then sanding the light emitting area to allow the most light distribution, you may have to put an LED in both ends thou. I haven't tried it, but it sounds like it would work. What do you think?
darbyvet
#7 Posted : 16 March 2015 16:34:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

LrdSatyr8 wrote:
darbyvet wrote:

I've thought about doing that myself but instead of painting with silver, using aluminum foil and then sanding the light emitting area to allow the most light distribution, you may have to put an LED in both ends thou. I haven't tried it, but it sounds like it would work. What do you think?

I have done it with aluminum foil, but the foil doesn't stick to the tube very well. An led in both ends would probably be a good idea for a long piece of acrylic.

LrdSatyr8
#8 Posted : 16 March 2015 18:36:00

darbyvet wrote:
I have done it with aluminum foil, but the foil doesn't stick to the tube very well. An led in both ends would probably be a good idea for a long piece of acrylic.

I was thinking more along the lines of perhaps a aluminum tape, or better yet, possible using Alclad II silver to bring out a mirror finish (that would probaby produce the best results). But I would definitely sand the surface of the light emitting side to produce the most light scattering and diffusion along the length of the rod itself. Might be something fun to experiment with. What do you think?
darbyvet
#9 Posted : 16 March 2015 19:32:33

LrdSatyr8 wrote:
darbyvet wrote:

I was thinking more along the lines of perhaps a aluminum tape, or better yet, possible using Alclad II silver to bring out a mirror finish (that would probaby produce the best results). But I would definitely sand the surface of the light emitting side to produce the most light scattering and diffusion along the length of the rod itself. Might be something fun to experiment with. What do you think?

Yes I was actually going to try bending the acrylic rod and seeing if the rod would transmit the light .I could then run the rod under the floor of the Falcon hall and light the floor from underneath as in the movie. I did sand the surface for the light emitting side of the rod.

I used it in a Robby the robot kit. I will try to upload a video to youtube of the effect.

LrdSatyr8
#10 Posted : 16 March 2015 21:34:23

darbyvet wrote:
Yes I was actually going to try bending the acrylic rod and seeing if the rod would transmit the light .I could then run the rod under the floor of the Falcon hall and light the floor from underneath as in the movie. I did sand the surface for the light emitting side of the rod.

I used it in a Robby the robot kit. I will try to upload a video to youtube of the effect.

Yeah I'd love to see that. I have been thinking about lighting under the floor of the interior myself like in the movie. I think I'm gonna end up using the full length illumination fibers for that. In any event this will be an epic build! Can't wait!
Stupot
#11 Posted : 17 March 2015 02:28:33

Hi LrdSatyr8, Thanks for your reply. Any advice is greatly welcomed. I'll use your model tips in the future. Cheers. Stu
LrdSatyr8
#12 Posted : 17 March 2015 02:47:09

Just for reference... here's a good source for full length side emitting fiber optics.

http://www.fiberopticproducts.com/Sideglow.htm