Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Problems with front and rear wings Options
frankk
#1 Posted : 28 June 2013 05:46:07

Groups: Registered

This week I started the build of the RB7 (finally got some of the back issues delivered). I finshed stage 1, 2 and 3 with no problems, using superglue gel. I put it away for a few days, then took it out last night. Most of the blue panels now have a greyish hue splotched over them, on all sides of all panels. The parts were only taken out of their packaging this week. Has anyone had this same effect.

It can't be from finger prints with the glue, extreme care was taken. It almost appears the blue has "deteriorated" in some way once teh parts were unpacked. Not sure if I should get new issues of 1,2 and 3 or possibly clear coat the wing assemblies.

Any suggestions/help would be appreciated.
Nemesis
#2 Posted : 28 June 2013 09:28:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

The greyish hue is the super glue vapor sticking to your fingerprints! Did you pack them away in a box or sealed pack? The gel is not very quick drying, and although the parts may seem to have stuck, there will be some of the glue that is not properly dry. I have had the same with some parts I glued a while ago, I learnt to leave it 24 hrs before putting them away.
Tomick
#3 Posted : 28 June 2013 10:07:13

Groups:

Superglue 'fogging' can happen if there is poor ventilation around the glue areas or if the assembly has been put into a bag before the glue has fully set and the fumes dispersed.

Fumes can concentrate in a bag to produce fogging around the glued areas.

Fogging is very difficult to remove from painted parts without damaging the paint.
Very light fogging can sometimes be reduced with a damp cotton bud, but more often than not it permanent.
You could try something like Future or a clear coat, which will give a gloss finish, but might hide the fog (test on a hiddem area first), otherwise your looking at a rebuild.

Good ventilation is a must when using superglue and don't ever use it on clear plastic parts.
rowdy85
#4 Posted : 28 June 2013 11:41:11

Groups:

I got like white marks a little bit with the gel glue. it mostly came off by gently scratching at it with a fingernail
SWINE1
#5 Posted : 28 June 2013 15:10:40

Sounds like your using the wrong glue, get yourself a good medium model superglue... might cost you 20 bucks a bottle, but it will give a much better finish then the $3 job from wollies.
rowdy85
#6 Posted : 29 June 2013 08:51:37

Groups:

ok Thanks for that. I used the Selley's gel supa glue in the blue squeeze pack that someone suggested elsewhere on the forum.
SWINE1
#7 Posted : 29 June 2013 13:28:08

the gel stuff is useless and way to hard to work with.... most good hobby stores in australia will stock the ZAP band glue for plastics... have a look on ebay buddy...
frankk
#8 Posted : 30 June 2013 23:48:03

I was using Loctite Super Glue Gel, is there something better?

Tried a few hobby/RC shops in Sydney, and no one had anything better to suggest.

The cloudiness could be from the fumes, as suhggested, by not letting it air properly. How long after applying before the glue is properly dry?
arpurchase
#9 Posted : 01 July 2013 00:11:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Frank
The 'Zap' brand is a super glue formulated for models not sure if its available in Australia though but it may be available to buy online. As others have stated although super glue has an instant grab it will still give off vapours for around 24 hours if you pack your parts away in a sealed container this is when the fogging can occur. So one way around this is to not seal the lid to your container just leave it open for a day and everything should be ok. Hope this helps
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

frankk
#10 Posted : 01 July 2013 01:35:57

Hi Andy,

I have found the ZAP Thin CA (in a bottle with a pink label) available here on the internet. Is this the right product? I guess I'll go back and re-order Issue 1,2, and 3 and leve them out for 24 hours next time. Learning something new all the time with this kit. Oh the joy of model building! BigGrin
arpurchase
#11 Posted : 01 July 2013 11:46:56

BigGrin Hi Frank
The thin stuff will get everywhere and will not be suitable for your build I have added a link to show you what glue is best suited to your build, obviously other manufacturers will do the same types but these have been formulated for modell's.
The one's to look at are Plasti-Zap, Polly-Zap and Zap gel another that you might consider is the Slo-Zap as it will give you time to position the items being glued. Hope this helps and here's the link

http://www.supergluecorp...rand-products/zap-glues

Regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Melkerri
#12 Posted : 01 July 2013 15:21:19

Yeah I've had the same problem with fogging around certain parts of my front wing. You can especially see where my fingers have been touching the most. I can see why they put the warning on the label "use in a well ventilated area". I built my wings in the dining room, thinking that this would be ok as the room is a decent size, but I had no air flow so the vapours just sit. So now I'll build next to an open window or next to the front or back door, anywhere that has good air flow. Oh well we're always learning.

Happy building,
RB7 ROX!!'
Tomick
#13 Posted : 01 July 2013 15:52:23

Groups:

You could switch to an ABS plastic solvent glue which won't leave fogging, but needs careful application. If inadvertently applied, it will cause paint and surface damage.
catman275
#14 Posted : 01 July 2013 16:20:09

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Plenty of ZAP products on Amazon
completed..... Endeavour Longboat, San Francisco 2, Virginia 1819

building Royal Caroline

Warthog
#15 Posted : 01 July 2013 19:16:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

If you live in a high humidity area of the world then CA Glue is going to "draw" any moisture to it so a cool well ventilated room is ideal... maybe a fan blowing on the components to assist in the ventilation.. Also make sure you wipe all parts with a soft tissue to remove fingerprints and possible "release Agents" used.. a bath in soapy water (dish wash like Fairy washing up liquid should do but I'm guessing Aussie Guy's don't touch anything with the word Fairy in it)BigGrin BigGrin

Spence
frankk
#16 Posted : 01 July 2013 23:08:35

Thanks Warthog, you better believe it!!!

Thanks to everyone, for their advice. I found Loctite Super Glue Gel readily acvailable through retail outlets here, which is the one I was using. I guess it's all about the fumes. Do those bottles and containers have warnings about such things? She that must be obeyed believes in reading warning lables, guess it must be a bloke thing to just "know".

At least with the RB7, I guess we are all reading the detailed instuctions on how to put something together. An unusual experience as we are all experts in non-instruction construction...LOL

I'll get copies of the early editions and have a better go 2nd time round

Cheers Frank
Aurum
#17 Posted : 02 July 2013 04:35:53

SWINE1 wrote:
the gel stuff is useless and way to hard to work with.... most good hobby stores in australia will stock the ZAP band glue for plastics... have a look on ebay buddy...

Agree - ZAP is the only way to go!
frankk
#18 Posted : 02 July 2013 04:44:06

Aurum, Which ZAP product do you suggest?
arpurchase
#19 Posted : 02 July 2013 17:40:24

BigGrin read post #11 the link will show you the Zap products availableCool

frankk
#20 Posted : 03 July 2013 00:04:57

Got it! Thanks for the help. Getting new copies of issues 1, 2 and 3 and will make sure it is well ventilated this time.