Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Aotake And Chiped Paint on WW2 Japanse Zero's Part 4 Conclusion Options
arpurchase
#1 Posted : 06 July 2013 11:58:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

The application of 'Aotake' in Japanese aircraft in WW2 is a minefield the Japanese were very good at keeping secrets and destroying evidence but as more people have investigated the Zero and other aircraft be it wreaks or one of the few surviving examples more information is becoming available.
The use of 'Aotake' as the war progressed to its conclusion diminished as its availability became more hard to obtain so in late models the coating would only be used on area's constantly exposed to the elements like wheel wells in comparison the early versions would have been dripping in the stuff almost all or nearly all the internal surfaces had a coat.
The use of undercoat on Naval versions also is important as any weathering would show the red oxide coming through the top coats. The use of gloss or semi gloss finishing coats is also a surprise but its another way of preserving the outer skin from the attack of the elements as it is more hard wearing and has the ability to let moisture run off where as the rough finish of matt paint tends to grab any moisture due to its more porous quality's as for the use of the clear coat called 'Nisu' there are very few mentions of this coating but it has been compared to a streamlining type coating that flattened out any blemishes and thus aiding its aerodynamics . Hopefully this will be helpful to all those Zero builders out there and if I got something wrong my appolagy's, I am not an expert im just trying to get as much information in one place to help other builders
regards
Andy
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

SennaMentalMe
#2 Posted : 06 July 2013 12:29:38

Groups:

Another great piece on the subject Andy!! CoolThumpUp

I'll add them all to the library later. Thanks again for an interesting read.

By the way I read that piece in the link you posted the other day about the Japanese Dive Bomber pilot, very enthralling and lucky for him that he managed to dodge becoming a 'Kamikaze' pilot, a great article, I enjoyed reading it immensely and a fascinating insight into what it was like to be fighting on the opposite side to the allies in the Pacific, especially as we got to go on the Pearl Harbor raid with him? Great stuff - thanks for that!! CoolThumpUp

P.S - I was so enthralled, I have since been out and bought the Hasegawa 1:48 kit of the Aichi D3A1 'Val' Dive Bomber (Pearl Harbor) and Eduard etch set for it!!

Kev BigGrin
Dontshootme
#3 Posted : 06 July 2013 12:57:54

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I am not collecting the Zero myself although I was tempted,however I have followed all your articles on the subject with great interest.I knew the Japanese were secretive but did not realise that it actually extended to paint colours & their various properties...fascinating reading,must get round to reading the article about the pilot as it sounds completely enthralling...real Boys own Adventure stuff but for real.
Rob Nolli Illigitimi Carborundum!!!
Current Builds:HMS Victory,SV Thermopylae
arpurchase
#4 Posted : 06 July 2013 13:20:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Kev
Thanks again for your comments and yes the pilots story is very interesting as you already know the Pacific wars airial and combat accounts have generaly been a little one sided the majority coming from the American side. The main reason for this is the Japanese and there culture to announce your exploits as a fighter pilot or soldier is seen as bad form and there is also the feeling that that period is to be forgotten about but some veterans of the conflict have become more open as historans and even family members want to know what Uncle Hiro did in the war and the familys are proud of there exploits.
One point I would like to mention though is this if the Japanese had extended there empire at the same time as the British Dutch and any other trading nation that was making claims in the east 150 odd years in the past before WW2 would there have been the raised eyebrows and condemnation of the expantionist Japanese got in the 1930's. Something to think about I think
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

arpurchase
#5 Posted : 06 July 2013 13:22:41

BigGrin Hi Rob
Thanks for looking in and im glad you enjoyed reading them, makes it all worth while when you get a post like this
regards
AndyCool